Okay boys time to see what goalie to saddle with 6k next year. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
I know he was mentioned briefly above.............but I wonder what it'd take to get Talbot out of Minny during the offseason?

Minny is LOADED in net -- Kahkonen, Hunter Jones, Baribeau and of course Wallstedt.

Wonder if they'd be ok with running with Kahkonen and Jones next year as a 1A/1B if Wallstedt needs a touch of seasoning?

Running with 6K and Talbot would be my dream . Though not not sure Bout the price. I mean we have 3 firsts why not use the Panthers one on a actual good goaltender. That pick will be almost like early second round pick anyways . We've all seen just how vital good goaltending is and how devastating atrocious goaltending can destroy a season

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Running with 6K and Talbot would be my dream . Though not not sure Bout the price. I mean we have 3 firsts why not use the Panthers one on a actual good goaltender. That pick will be almost like early second round pick anyways . We've all seen just how vital good goaltending is and how devastating atrocious goaltending can destroy a season
Don't trade 1st for goalie. Talbot is decent, but Wild defense too looks good, he'll be UFA in a year. Maybe 2nd is enough.

SwordsgoneWild

Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Don't trade 1st for goalie. Talbot is decent, but Wild defense too looks good, he'll be UFA in a year. Maybe 2nd is enough.
True I recall the Lehner debacle and have doubts as well but damnit we need 2 good goalies. The Wild do have a good Defense but Talbot has been solid everywhere outside of a bad year or two up In EDM where they don't know how to spell Defense

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
I know he was mentioned briefly above.............but I wonder what it'd take to get Talbot out of Minny during the offseason?

Minny is LOADED in net -- Kahkonen, Hunter Jones, Baribeau and of course Wallstedt.

Wonder if they'd be ok with running with Kahkonen and Jones next year as a 1A/1B if Wallstedt needs a touch of seasoning?

Wild fan here. Wild probably won't get rid of Talbot either. Hunter jones just recently got recalled to AHL because for two years he has sucked. He's been in ECHL or whatever they call the league below. The reason wild have 6 G including 4 in AHL / ECHL is trying to find a G who will finally show up in between Zane M, Hunter Jones, Baribeau, Trevor Kowloski.

Jasper wallstedt will take over in Iowa full time next year and more as he need to be ready for NHL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
True I recall the Lehner debacle and have doubts as well but damnit we need 2 good goalies. The Wild do have a good Defense but Talbot has been solid everywhere outside of a bad year or two up In EDM where they don't know how to spell Defense
Yes, but I wouldn't trade 1st for Talbot, look at the last time teams trade 1st for goaltender, it happens infrequently . Teams trade for decent goalies without trading 1st. 2nd or 3rd+ can give you a decent goalie.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Sign Mrazek as UFA, acquire Varlamov in a cap dump trade from the Isles.
Mrazek does not seem to be very reliable, especially when it comes to injuries. Varlamov is not a cap dump, they could probably get a first for him from a team like Edmonton.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Mrazek does not seem to be very reliable, especially when it comes to injuries. Varlamov is not a cap dump, they could probably get a first for him from a team like Edmonton.

Varlamov has one year left after this season, and the Isles will need to clear space. Dobson needs a raise, same with Bellows. Aho is probably getting one too, but not as much as those two. The only players the Isles are losing are Chara, Greene and Parise (all making only $750K on the year) Clutterbuck (unless he resigns for way cheaper than his current $3.5M caphit), and Hickey (currently buried in the minors, $1.7M hit).

After next season, barring any one year UFA signings or trades, only Varlamov and Mayfield expire.

By signing Mrazek and trading for Varlamov, you plan for a 50/50 split between the two, and you still can add 6K later in the year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Varlamov has one year left after this season, and the Isles will need to clear space. Dobson needs a raise, same with Bellows. Aho is probably getting one too, but not as much as those two. The only players the Isles are losing are Chara, Greene and Parise (all making only $750K on the year) Clutterbuck (unless he resigns for way cheaper than his current $3.5M caphit), and Hickey (currently buried in the minors, $1.7M hit).

After next season, barring any one year UFA signings or trades, only Varlamov and Mayfield expire.

By signing Mrazek and trading for Varlamov, you plan for a 50/50 split between the two, and you still can add 6K later in the year.
Yes, but that does not change what I said about Varlamov, I think he will be worth valuable assets, he also has an NMC, I like Varlamov, but I don’t think he is the easiest target to trade. I also think that UPL will get a place in Buffalo next season anyway.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Yes, but I wouldn't trade 1st for Talbot, look at the last time teams trade 1st for goaltender, it happens infrequently . Teams trade for decent goalies without trading 1st. 2nd or 3rd+ can give you a decent goalie.
Off the top of my head ...

SJ acquiring Martin Jones from Boston. He was fundamental to their Cup Final appearance, and they wouldn't have even gotten to Game 6 without him. He has since defecated his bedding, so ya, it's a "crap" shoot.

Sabres acquiring Lehner from Ottawa. Ummm ... we are better off not dwelling on our past.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Off the top of my head ...

SJ acquiring Martin Jones from Boston. He was fundamental to their Cup Final appearance, and they wouldn't have even gotten to Game 6 without him. He has since defecated his bedding, so ya, it's a "crap" shoot.

Sabres acquiring Lehner from Ottawa. Ummm ... we are better off not dwelling on our past.
Yes, and that was a long time ago. We won't get a top goalie in the trade, but we can get a decent goalie to split games with UPL.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Yes, but that does not change what I said about Varlamov, I think he will be worth valuable assets, he also has an NMC, I like Varlamov, but I don’t think he is the easiest target to trade. I also think that UPL will get a place in Buffalo next season anyway.

He might if they do what I suggested the team does with Chara, which is talk to him first and promise you’ll trade him to a contender by the TDL. Especially if the cost to acquire him is cheap.

Hell, you do that next year with Chara if he hasn’t retired.

Reactions: Fjordy

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Next year is for next year only.
I'm good with Craig Anderson if he's up for it. UPL will be the guy.
Anderson has the teams attention and respect. If he's up for another 30 games I'm cool with him. Spend the money on toughness, scoring, D whatever. I think he's been impressive outside of the lengthy injured role. He's back, let's see what happens now.
I think the plan was Anderson and UPL this season and that got blown up because UPL sucked in camp/pre season and Anderson got a lengthy injury.
Shoe is on the other foot next year. UPL is the starter and Anderson the backup.

Last edited:

SwordsgoneWild

Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Wild fan here. Wild probably won't get rid of Talbot either. Hunter jones just recently got recalled to AHL because for two years he has sucked. He's been in ECHL or whatever they call the league below. The reason wild have 6 G including 4 in AHL / ECHL is trying to find a G who will finally show up in between Zane M, Hunter Jones, Baribeau, Trevor Kowloski.

Jasper wallstedt will take over in Iowa full time next year and more as he need to be ready for NHL
I wouldn't either in your shoes. He's the perfect bridge before one of your youngin like Wally eventually takes over. But out if curiosity if Guerin did decide to trade for the right price what would that be?

SwordsgoneWild

Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Next year is for next year only.
I'm good with Craig Anderson if he's up for it. UPL will be the guy.
Anderson has the teams attention and respect. If he's up for another 30 games I'm cool with him. Spend the money on toughness, scoring, D whatever. I think he's been impressive outside of the lengthy injured role. He's back, let's see what happens now.
I think the plan was Anderson and UPL this season and that got blown up because UPL sucked in camp/pre season and Anderson got a lengthy injury.
Shoe is on the other foot next year. UPL is the starter and Anderson the backup.
I wouldn't mind this as long as Craig can provide the necessary amount of games as 1b. His and Dustins injuries this year let us see some truly horror story style goaltending that i would rather not care to see ever ever again.

As for suggestions listed above, Mrazek is far too unreliable to stay healthy.

Varlamov would be intriguing

Reactions: beerme1

SwordsgoneWild

Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Sure Wilds Defense is great but he's had success even friggin playing behind House fire of a blue line in EDM. Maybe a middling prospect and a 2nd then? But no way Guerin does that. No way In hell.

Though sadly it's all moot and conjecture like the Wild poster says there is probably no chance they move on from him . Tis pipe dream will remain just that.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Sure Wilds Defense is great but he's had success even friggin playing behind House fire of a blue line in EDM. Maybe a middling prospect and a 2nd then? But no way Guerin does that. No way In hell.

Though sadly it's all moot and conjecture like the Wild poster says there is probably no chance they move on from him . Tis pipe dream will remain just that.
Firstly, I would not want to trade 1st for goalier, and secondly, on a rent for a year. There are also other targets to trade if Wild would like to get first for Talbot. Possibly the only hypothetical motivation to trade Talbot would be the cap problem, they could have traded Talbot and signed a cheap backup for Kahkonen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It'll be interesting to see what they do this summer, that's for sure. We still have people gnashing their teeth over the Lehner trade and that's been almost 7 years ago now. :biglaugh:

SwordsgoneWild

Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
time flies when you're having "fun". 7 years? holy f***.
Wow . Even when your trapped in the abyss time still flies by.

That said I would have no qualms about trading a,late first for agood goalie. This year has driven that point home and embedded itself in my head with a hockey skate

SwordsgoneWild

Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Firstly, I would not want to trade 1st for goalier, and secondly, on a rent for a year. There are also other targets to trade if Wild would like to get first for Talbot. Possibly the only hypothetical motivation to trade Talbot would be the cap problem, they could have traded Talbot and signed a cheap backup for Kahkonen.
You know resigning him to some small extension wouldn't be out of the world of expectation right. And Him being a UFA in a year might even drive his price down a bit..

Man too many people have been traumatized by the Lehner Trade. I mean I don't blame you all but sheesh..

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad