Okay boys time to see what goalie to saddle with 6k next year. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
No more old reclamation goalies or unproven youngsters,?

Who is out there via trade or stop gap?

6K will either 1B or 1A next year that leaves us with another starter to take the load off him.

I am partial to Minnesota's goalies but doubt they will not part with their two headed solid duo in Talbot much Less Kahkonen . I know they have Wallstedt in the wings but who knows how long til he takes the reigns.
What about this back up from the Ducks? I know he had good stretches but know little about him.
An old veteran like Griess would be serve as a fine back up but we need to shore up our D first.
We need to go after someone good and hard either at the deadline or Free Agency .
Anyone want to throw some names into my hat? Yes I know this has been talked ad nauseam this year on these boards but meh wth

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
No more old reclamation goalies or unproven youngsters,?

Who is out there via trade or stop gap?

6K will either 1B or 1A next year that leaves us with another starter to take the load off him.

I am partial to Minnesota's goalies but doubt they will not part with their two headed solid duo in Talbot much Less Kahkonen . I know they have Wallstedt in the wings but who knows how long til he takes the reigns.
What about this back up from the Ducks? I know he had good stretches but know little about him.
An old veteran like Griess would be serve as a fine back up but we need to shore up our D first.
We need to go after someone good and hard either at the deadline or Free Agency .
Anyone want to throw some names into my hat? Yes I know this has been talked ad nauseam this year on these boards but meh wth
Bobrovsky, not sure how available the would be now.
Samsonov but not sure what he will be
Campbell in FA
Quick but they might just keep him
Smith/Koskinen
Varlamov
Dreidger
Korpisalo
Georgiev

I would love to make a very nice offer to Dallas for Oettinger but I'm sure they would want one of Levi/Portillo.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Campbell in FA
Smith/Koskinen
Varlamov
Dreidger
Korpisalo
Georgiev

I would love to make a very nice offer to Dallas for Oettinger but I'm sure they would want one of Levi/Portillo.

If they want Portillo for him, I make that trade in a heartbeat.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Not endorsing any of these. But options I can think of:

Husso
Holtby
Kuemper
Francouz
Campbell
Halak
Varlamov
Mrazek

Many teams will be looking for goaltenders again, so the competition will be stiff. Hope Pegula is willing to spend some money (at least for short term contracts).

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I dunno about much more. I mean if it was actually the case I’d say no, but as an example Portillo and like, Nadeau, I’d do it. Not to say Dallas would go for that, but you get what I mean.
It would have to be quite large imo. Dallas would be trading their goalie of the future. Only reason I would approach would be they are win now, still have Khudobin (even as poorly as he has been) can easily re-sign Hotlby for 2 years, sign Portillo this season and get him in the AHL plus whatever else we give.

Then you have UPL and Oettinger and can give Levi 2-3 years in the AHL and hopefully recoup some assets as we find our goalie of the future

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
I personally am more inclined for a 3 or 4 year stop gap before one of our nice shiny prospects are pro ready. Talbot would be a decent option as would Korpisalo ; as long as they don't over pay by alot. Kuemper would be great but the price to pay would be too much for my liking .

I don't think we need to trade for yet another ultra young future goalie as our cupboards are seemingly well stocked..Give me a a nice middle aged veteran to take the load off a 6k for several years. And by that I don't mean another Hutton. How old is Talbot (31 or something) and what would be the asking price from Minnesota you would wonder? Even though that's a pipe dream.and they won't trade him amidst prior to another playoff run. He would be a great compliment to UPL . Though admittedlyhe plays behind a far superior D than ours.

Georgeiv might serve but I confess I am ignorant of his circumstance.

Bobrovsky would be great as long Florida bought him out and we don't give him buckets of cash like they did but I fear the price would still be too high.. Speaking of Fellow Russians how fares Varlomov these days?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I'd much rather spend salary in free agency on a goalie rather than the current prices in trade. I doubt we can pull Campbell or Kuemper. Francouz would be next if he's healthy. Pay him a little more than anyone else would on a one year deal.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I'd much rather spend salary in free agency on a goalie rather than the current prices in trade. I doubt we can pull Campbell or Kuemper. Francouz would be next if he's healthy. Pay him a little more than anyone else would on a one year deal.
Yes I think free agency for a goalie. Likely a 2 year overpay

Reactions: Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Sabres will have the cap space to top probably every offer he will get. The questions will be around length of the deal and if Campbell wants to come to Buffalo given the state of the NHL roster.

All true. Also why what they do down the stretch matters - go .500 and show they're taking steps forward, then make some moves in trade to improve the blueline by the draft... it becomes easier to sell someone on the stack of money they are being offered.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The Sabres will have the cap space to top probably every offer he will get. The questions will be around length of the deal and if Campbell wants to come to Buffalo given the state of the NHL roster.

Yeah, my big thing with Campbell is will he take a 2-3 year deal. Giving him more could very well block the "winner" of the UPL/Levi/Portillo derby......and would most certainly block the 2nd place finisher. Ideally we'd be able to sell him on a 2yr/$12m deal or something like that -- get PAID, prove he's for real and then go get PAID again.

But at the age of 30, I could easily seem him wanting a longer term (something like 4/5 years).......which isn't something I'm particularly interested in.

Otherwise, what I think I do is this:

Trade for Mrazek, whose value won't be as high as some.
Ride with UPL/Mrazek as 1A/1B next year.
Sign Tokarski as #3/Rochester starter.
Sign Levi has the Rochester "backup".....knowing that he'll get plenty of reps when UPL and/or Mrazek gets hurt.
Pray UPL and Mrazek don't get hurt at the same time.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, my big thing with Campbell is will he take a 2-3 year deal. Giving him more could very well block the "winner" of the UPL/Levi/Portillo derby......and would most certainly block the 2nd place finisher. Ideally we'd be able to sell him on a 2yr/$12m deal or something like that -- get PAID, prove he's for real and then go get PAID again.

But at the age of 30, I could easily seem him wanting a longer term (something like 4/5 years).......which isn't something I'm particularly interested in.

Otherwise, what I think I do is this:

Trade for Mrazek, whose value won't be as high as some.
Ride with UPL/Mrazek as 1A/1B next year.
Sign Tokarski as #3/Rochester starter.
Sign Levi has the Rochester "backup".....knowing that he'll get plenty of reps when UPL and/or Mrazek gets hurt.
Pray UPL and Mrazek don't get hurt at the same time.

Campbell and the negotiation over contract length all comes down to how much other teams are willing to offer and how much longer they are willing to go.

I don't know how many teams are going to be willing to give Campbell a 5-6 year deal this summer at $5-6M AAV.

Contract Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Given some of the more recent UFA goalie deals, it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Campbell and the negotiation over contract length all comes down to how much other teams are willing to offer and how much longer they are willing to go.

I don't know how many teams are going to be willing to give Campbell a 5-6 year deal this summer at $5-6M AAV.

Contract Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Given some of the more recent UFA goalie deals, it is not beyond the realm of possibility.
In this case, a short term overpay gives him another bite at the apple later.

For example, if another team offers him five years at $5m and the Sabres offer him three years at $7.5m, the full value of the contract is only $2.5m less. He goes back on the market at age 33 (not 35) and could potentially earn himself another 2x4 or 2x5. At age 35, he likely won't get more than one-year, small potato deals. It's probably in his financial interest to take the short-term overpay rather than a longer-term fair-value contract.

Of course, he's risking that he fails to perform at a high level until the end of the shortened term (although he's also less likely to get bought out). He's also risking that he gets continually shelled behind a losing team - which would hurt any later payday. He further risks that he will spend the rest of his career without a shot at winning a championship. None of those outcomes is guaranteed, but they are risks.

Reactions: brian_griffin

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Campbell in FA
Smith/Koskinen
Varlamov
Dreidger
Korpisalo
Georgiev

I wouldn't take Bobrovsky for anything. Sorry, as good as he could potentially have looked at any point this year, meh. Smith and Koskinen are a hard, "No" from me. I would take a swing at Korpisalo, Laksinen, or Georgiev over the rest on that list. If you can pry Samsonov out of Washington for a realistic push, then that's fine with me too. The majority otherwise, is meh.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't take Bobrovsky for anything. Sorry, as good as he could potentially have looked at any point this year, meh. Smith and Koskinen are a hard, "No" from me. I would take a swing at Korpisalo, Laksinen, or Georgiev over the rest on that list. If you can pry Samsonov out of Washington for a realistic push, then that's fine with me too. The majority otherwise, is meh.

Korpisalo & Georgiev are just as meh or bad as the rest of the list.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I was just throwing out names that teams could or would move. Oettinger is my dream get but I would think it is a non-starter for Dallas.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I know he was mentioned briefly above.............but I wonder what it'd take to get Talbot out of Minny during the offseason?

Minny is LOADED in net -- Kahkonen, Hunter Jones, Baribeau and of course Wallstedt.

Wonder if they'd be ok with running with Kahkonen and Jones next year as a 1A/1B if Wallstedt needs a touch of seasoning?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
UFA: Campbell, Kuemper, MAF, Holtby, Francouz, Husso, Lindgren, Forsberg

Trade: Talbot, Varlamov, Stolarz, Reimer, Vanecek, Quick, Raanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad