OK ...if/when Q and Stan are fired. ..who are your top candidates to replace them?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Hes praised players of the style. In hawks brass videos over time talked up that ad modern nhl and by those peoples view, keep drafting only those types.
is that not the company line..... esp to talk positive of the team's current system ??

Drafting is done more than 1 person. this is the same argument i had when the Tallon vs SB assembling the 1st SC. this Still holds true now, with SB vs Kelley .

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sorry again..I ype 1 thing and this algorithm spell check keeps putting in other letters...either that or the keyboard I am using on this smartphone is too small for my finger when I hit a letter...

Of course I meant Roenick not Remick.

And of course I started off the discussion in jest by suggesting him...but actually the resons I gave make some sense.

Still you gotta admit I opened the door for a serious discussion about what are likely big changes for the coaching and GM positions ...and we need to identify who might be the best candidates for these job openings when they finally happen.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Yzerman would be a good GM

Colliton is the coach in waiting (seems to be) ... he will need 2 solid established coaches who run a PP and develop the young d core Hawks are building

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would love to see an Yzerman / Colliton combo with Chelios and an Oates type as the assistants.
That would be most interesting ... refreshing ... and highly unlikely!
ref the bold, i really truly like this idea. but i am still wondering if Yzerman is waiting for a Det opening.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Steve Y is not going to be the GM imo. The Detroit job is going to be where he ends up.
This is most likely correct ... but I do believe I have heard Yzerman gushing over Toews in the past. He had him as a young'n on team Canada back in 2010 so you never know. As LDF said ... it is nice to dream.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ Stevie Y resigned as TB's GM, stating he wanted to be closer to family in Michigan. Folks were expecting him to hook-up with Wings but it hasn't happened.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'd keep Stanbo

JC as HC

Cheli as D coach

JR as O coach

I think this would make the Hawks a powerhouse.

(If Stan stumbles with them, Ronnie Francis would be a good replacement)

"Powerhouse", not quite but if JR could get Hawks players anywhere close to the north/south game he played literally every night, this team would be a lot better.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I really don't think anyone is to blame for the Hawks being bad all of the sudden. Honestly, this is just the Salary Cap doing its job. If there wasn't a cap, Panarin would have never been traded for Saad, because they both would have been here. Even so, they would have given AP a long term deal if they could afford to. Have Q's special teams been an abomination? Yeah. But they'd probably have been fine if they hadn't had to trade players in cap dumps. It also prevented them from obtaining proper value for their traded players.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
"Powerhouse", not quite but if JR could get Hawks players anywhere close to the north/south game he played literally every night, this team would be a lot better.

I feel like he’d be a hot head behind the bench and have an extremely short tenure as a HC and that players would tune him and his style out real quick. I’d also be concerned he wouldn’t deploy a team to play the current style of the NHL and would try and make the team play how he did in his day.

I don’t really have any interest in Chelios as a HC for the Blackhawks either, but fine in a defensive capacity of sorts. I’ve only seen his name thrown around recently. What has he even been up to?

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I really don't think anyone is to blame for the Hawks being bad all of the sudden. Honestly, this is just the Salary Cap doing its job. If there wasn't a cap, Panarin would have never been traded for Saad, because they both would have been here. Even so, they would have given AP a long term deal if they could afford to. Have Q's special teams been an abomination? Yeah. But they'd probably have been fine if they hadn't had to trade players in cap dumps. It also prevented them from obtaining proper value for their traded players.
all of the sudden.... this was 3 yr at least in the making.

Reactions: joshprost99

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
2016 was a good regular season, basically the same record as the year before then lost a tough fought series to the Blues on a late goal in game seven and came an inch or two away from taking it to overtime, the Blues goal light operator thought it went in, in a series that was a second or third around caliber match up which was played in round one due to the format. In 2017 they finished with the best record in the west and clinched with four games left which looking back was probably a bad thing as they shut it down the last four games after and couldn't get going again although I still would like to think they beat Calgary if they face them if not for Blake Wheeler's short handed goal on Nashville in game 82.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Francis got a raw deal in Carolina. He built that team from scratch essentially. As bad of a miss as Darling was it wasn’t really a bad contract when it was inked. I would like to see the Hawks add him to the front office as an AGM. Let Bowman bring in a staff of JC, Chelios and Granato, and go from there.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yzerman didn’t want to extend his contract in TB beyond this year so he stepped down so they can begin the transition but he’s still around as likely a consultant. He’s going back to Detroit after the season for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad