Speculation: OK Guys... What # overall will Toronto draft at this years 2015 NHL Entry Draft?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Leafs - Mcdavid
Buffalo - Eichel
Arizona - Marner
Edmonton - Hannifin

Next year:

Arizona - Mathews

Everyone wins in that situation, Buffalo gets their generational player, Toronto gets one, Edmonton gets their D, Arizona gets their top forward and Marner to play with Domi.

please!

That really would be a fairytale scenario for everyone involved. Everyone gets their guy.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I do not understand how Hanifin can be almost universally ranked third and yet be interchangeable with guys expected to go after 6th ?

It's basically like HF rankings... would you rather take a 8.5D or a 7.5A? It's also confounding to me, especially how out of nowhere these two guys showed up and "usurped" Hanifin from his ranking.... but I'm basing a lot on the kind of reputation Button has built up... much of his weirdness ends up playing out on the draft floor and with him being a reputable figure, the thinking is that he knows something others don't.

Durkin67

This thought might or might not be shared among the Leafs scouts and management personnel... hell it might be Marner, not Strome, in the example. Fact is that after the top 2, there's little ways to determine who the BPA will be except for conjecture and preconceived biases.

Both Marner and Strome look to be world class players and the thinking among scouts is that Hanifin, Werenski and Provorov are interchangeable this year. It's a real crap shoot if the guy we get at #4 will be the definite best of the bunch. Personally, I just don't want us to pick this year's Sam Gagner and I'm kind of wary this year. Just look at how much the top forwards' production numbers are propped up playing alongside legitimate talent. There's also the fact that guys face secondary pairings more often than say, oh I don't know, Lawson freaking Crouse.

Crouse, Barzal, Rantanen, Connor each have legitimate reasons why they could jump up and be drafted within the top-10.

Unsurprisingly, at the end of the day, the scouts will be able to assess who to pick and who not to pick. They do interviews and learn about the kids habits and personalities and these traits are equally necessary for proper player development.

Good post. And I agree; beyond McDavis and Eichel, the lines are blurred. Is the guy in the 5 spot really better than the guy taken at 6 or 7? It's all subjective, and I agree that player interviews will likely have a significant bearing on the way it goes down.

Im going to try to get excited about Marner, not because he's the guy I'd like to see pulling on the jersey in June, but because I don't want to be let down when the 6'3'' centre with franchise player potential goes to Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad