Speculation: OK Guys... What # overall will Toronto draft at this years 2015 NHL Entry Draft?

Mar 26, 2010
As the title says, Will the Leafs draft #3,4 or 5 overall at this years draft. I really don't see Toronto drafting out of the Top 5 for sure. We have a 10 point gap between us and the #6 spot right now... don't see us slipping lower than 5th. If the Leafs can lose atleast 6 out of the last 8, That should be a lock for 4th overall. BUT, what happens if we win the lottery pushing us up 2 spots! (we can only hope :yo:).

It is very obvious that the first, 2 picks will be 1. McDavid and 2. Eichel. That is not to say that 3-5 are weak, because they not! Strome, Hanifin and Marner look to be locks for those spots. (I think we will get one of them.

For fun, with 8 games left and the tank in full force ahead... Where do you think the Leafs will pick and who do want.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
1st overall via lottery.

Nearly 1/10 chances to win McDavid lottery. Even Buffalo only has twice that despite being on another level of suck overall.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I fearlessly predicted 4 awhile back so I am sticking to it. A small part of me (the hardwired optimism needed to survive daunting situations) thinks we will wi n the lottery and push Edmonton to 4.

Portse91

Sep 18, 2013
Leafs have got to win the lottery. Us leaf fans need some kind of good break to come our way. But i would be stoked if we land Strome at 4. But i have a weird feeling that if Arizona picks 3rd they will take Strome over Hanifin, if they did, would the Leafs take Hanifin at 4 or go with someone Hunter is already familiar with in Marner? Could be interesting.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Positive thinking: first thanks to the lottery.

Come to think of it, seems like a lot of 1st overall picks have gone to a non 30th place team.

2014: Florida (29th) won the lottery, while Buffalo was the worst.

2013: Colorado (29th) won the lottery, while Florida was the worst.

2012: Edmonton (29th) won the lottery, while Columbus was the worst.

2007: Chicago (26th) won the lottery, while Philadelphia was the worst.

2004: Washington (28th) won the lottery, while Pittsburgh was the worst.

2003: Florida (27th) won the lottery, while Carolina was the worst.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Leafs would need to win 7 of 8, and even then, it's still only a 4% chance we pass Columbus and finish in the 6th spot.

It's about as impossible for us to fall out of the top 5 pre-lottery, as it could possibly be.

The Leafs would have to go on an impossible 8-0 run

Durkin67

Leafs will draft 4th. At leaf they will be awarded the 4th overall pick at the lottery.

What they do with that pick is the question.

If EDM gets the 2nd overall, does Bernier plus a crack at Strome convince them to move down?

Even if the team at 3 (ARZ) takes Strome, EDM would look pretty good taking Hanifin and ending up with a legit goalie (Bernier) to get them on the winning track.

They'd have RNH and Draisaitl in the top two centre positions going forward, plus Hall, Eberle, Yak, Schultz, Hanifin, and Bernier as their core. Did I forget anyone?

That's a pretty balanced group to build around...

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Hey OP, there's another way that the Leafs could pick after the #5 pick and it's not necessarily through winning the next few games. Trading down or even trading the pick for an already established player is still within the realm of possibilties.

Durkin67

Hey OP, there's another way that the Leafs could pick after the #5 pick and it's not necessarily through winning the next few games. Trading down or even trading the pick for an already established player is still within the realm of possibilties.

Agreed. If Strome is gone, I'd seriously consider trading down and piling up the prospects. They need a deeper pool overall.

Conversely, if they end up drafting Hanifin, Gardiner becomes all the more expendable. Gotta wonder what a Kadri-Gardiner package might fetch...

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Agreed. If Strome is gone, I'd seriously consider trading down and piling up the prospects. They need a deeper pool overall.

Conversely, if they end up drafting Hanifin, Gardiner becomes all the more expendable. Gotta wonder what a Kadri-Gardiner package might fetch...

Why would you trade down when you'd have players like Marner and Hanifin on board?

Few top prospects >>> Deep overall pool x 1000 imo

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
So you think the Leafs are going to win 6/8 games, while Columbus wins less then 2/9 (they're winning right now).

Well we could finish ahead of Carolina in finish 5th, and a team winning the lottery below us bumping us down to 6th.

Which is what I think will happen but us finishing 4th and bumped down to 5th.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Well we could finish ahead of Carolina in finish 5th, and a team winning the lottery below us bumping us down to 6th.

Which is what I think will happen but us finishing 4th and bumped down to 5th.

Even this is looking pretty unlikely though to be honest. 8 games left, with what, 5 against playoff teams or teams fighting for a spot, and Carolina has a 2 point 2 game buffer on us. Boths teams are bad, but I can't see us winning more then 3, meaning Caroline just has to win 2.5/10 games to stay up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad