Speculation: OK Guys... What # overall will Toronto draft at this years 2015 NHL Entry Draft?

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Barring lottery results I expect Toronto to draft 4th. If we win the lottery we draft 1st (hockey gods would never allow this) and if someone below us wins the lottery we draft 5th. Hoping for Strome or Marner.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
The pessimist in me says a team behind Toronto will win the lottery dropping them a spot. Lou in NJ is my bet.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
As the standings currently are:

9.5% chance we pick 1st
45% chance we pick 4th
45.5% chance we pick 5th

I'll vote 5th.

Shwaguy*

We've already won the lottery. Draft Lawson Crouse 1st Overall.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
1st Overall because Bettman is going to notice his cash cow of the Maple Leafs are no longer selling out and needs them to keep the league pushing in the right direction. He ensures TOR "wins" and thus creating a big story that can be talked about for YEARS in the McDavid VS Eichel battle between two bordering teams in BUF and TOR. Driving up tons of hype.

#tinfoilhat

A man can dream I suppose. :(

Durkin67

Why would you trade down when you'd have players like Marner and Hanifin on board?

Few top prospects >>> Deep overall pool x 1000 imo

As I said, if you see Hanifin up there, you likely go there and move Gardiner. If it's Marner, I personally prefer trading down and loading up on more high end pieces. Thats just me.

I don't know if Marner is a game breaker the way Strome looks like he will be.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
At this point, the only way that's likely to happen is getting bumped back from #5. Columbus have pulled away from the Leafs and Hurricanes.

If we finish 5th last, there is a 37% chance we draft 6th overall still. Pretty significant odds in my opinion. I agree with Jerkini that 6th should be an option in the poll.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I'm gonna stir the pot here and say if the Leafs don't win the lottery they trade down picks with Philly or New Jersey and take Barzal or Provorov at 7th or 8th. They also get Philly's 2nd and 4th picks.

Too easy to say Strome or Marner at 4th or 5th ;)

Mar 26, 2010
If we finish 5th last, there is a 37% chance we draft 6th overall still. Pretty significant odds in my opinion. I agree with Jerkini that 6th should be an option in the poll.

If we draft 6th overall, that SUCKS! Big time!

This team desperately needs one of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome or Marner. If anyone deserves a break it is Toronto fans, we have suffered long enough :help:

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I think we'll end up with the 4th overall pick and I'd be quite happy picking there. But I have a question for everyone:

If Arizona ends up picking 2nd overall, do you think there's any chance they would even consider trading down to the 4th pick? If the Leafs were to offer Kessel, our pick, and say... Gardiner, would they go for that?

I seriously don't know if having Jack Eichel is going to be enough to get fans in the seats in Arizona. The only thing that might do that, is having a winning team. Kessel, Gardiner and say, Strome, might be more likely to help them accomplish that.

IDK, what do you folks think?

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
1st Overall because Bettman is going to notice his cash cow of the Maple Leafs are no longer selling out and needs them to keep the league pushing in the right direction. He ensures TOR "wins" and thus creating a big story that can be talked about for YEARS in the McDavid VS Eichel battle between two bordering teams in BUF and TOR. Driving up tons of hype.

#tinfoilhat

A man can dream I suppose. :(

And then give Arizona Mathews (ARI kid) next year. Everyone wins!

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I think we'll end up with the 4th overall pick and I'd be quite happy picking there. But I have a question for everyone:

If Arizona ends up picking 2nd overall, do you think there's any chance they would even consider trading down to the 4th pick? If the Leafs were to offer Kessel, our pick, and say... Gardiner, would they go for that?

I seriously don't know if having Jack Eichel is going to be enough to get fans in the seats in Arizona. The only thing that might do that, is having a winning team. Kessel, Gardiner and say, Strome, might be more likely to help them accomplish that.

IDK, what do you folks think?

Doesn't seem like a good idea for an American team to trade the pick that drafts the best American player in years, imo.

They can easily build a winning team through a rebuild, and getting an american super star is a good way to start. The goal should be long term-success that can build a fan base, not the Leafs 2.0

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Doesn't seem like a good idea for an American team to trade the pick that drafts the best American player in years, imo.

They can easily build a winning team through a rebuild, and getting an american super star is a good way to start.

Kessel is an American. ;)

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
As I said, if you see Hanifin up there, you likely go there and move Gardiner. If it's Marner, I personally prefer trading down and loading up on more high end pieces. Thats just me.

I don't know if Marner is a game breaker the way Strome looks like he will be.

This thought might or might not be shared among the Leafs scouts and management personnel... hell it might be Marner, not Strome, in the example. Fact is that after the top 2, there's little ways to determine who the BPA will be except for conjecture and preconceived biases.

Both Marner and Strome look to be world class players and the thinking among scouts is that Hanifin, Werenski and Provorov are interchangeable this year. It's a real crap shoot if the guy we get at #4 will be the definite best of the bunch. Personally, I just don't want us to pick this year's Sam Gagner and I'm kind of wary this year. Just look at how much the top forwards' production numbers are propped up playing alongside legitimate talent. There's also the fact that guys face secondary pairings more often than say, oh I don't know, Lawson freaking Crouse.

Crouse, Barzal, Rantanen, Connor each have legitimate reasons why they could jump up and be drafted within the top-10.

Unsurprisingly, at the end of the day, the scouts will be able to assess who to pick and who not to pick. They do interviews and learn about the kids habits and personalities and these traits are equally necessary for proper player development.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
#6 should be one of the options as it's a very realistic outcome.

That requires losing ground to Carolina who have 2 points and 2 games in hand on us and someone after us winning the lottery. Not sure how one would calculate the odds on both those two things happening. Would be curious to know but I am going to be optimistic and say it seems unlikely.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
And then give Arizona Mathews (ARI kid) next year. Everyone wins!

Leafs - Mcdavid
Buffalo - Eichel
Arizona - Marner
Edmonton - Hannifin

Next year:

Arizona - Mathews

Everyone wins in that situation, Buffalo gets their generational player, Toronto gets one, Edmonton gets their D, Arizona gets their top forward and Marner to play with Domi.

please!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This thought might or might not be shared among the Leafs scouts and management personnel... hell it might be Marner, not Strome, in the example. Fact is that after the top 2, there's little ways to determine who the BPA will be except for conjecture and preconceived biases.

Both Marner and Strome look to be world class players and the thinking among scouts is that Hanifin, Werenski and Provorov are interchangeable this year. It's a real crap shoot if the guy we get at #4 will be the definite best of the bunch. Personally, I just don't want us to pick this year's Sam Gagner seeing and seeing I'm kind of wary this year. Just look at how much the top forwards' production numbers are propped up playing alongside legitimate talent. There's also the fact that guys face secondary pairings more often than say, oh I don't know, Lawson freaking Crouse.

Crouse, Barzal, Rantanen, Connor each have legitimate reasons why they could jump up and be drafted within the top-10.

Unsurprisingly, at the end of the day, the scouts will be able to assess who to pick and who not to pick. They do interviews and learn about the kids habits and personalities and these traits are equally necessary for proper player development.

I do not understand how Hanifin can be almost universally ranked third and yet be interchangeable with guys expected to go after 6th ?

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
I'm going with 3rd. I'm expecting whatever team that finishes 1 position before or after the Leafs to win the lottery because that's just how things always go for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad