Post-Game Talk: Oilers with a clutch 4-3 loss.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Pretty obvious he's one of the players the club has been watching and monitoring closely that hadn't been bringing it consistently. So he's making a better effort with a new coach and GM on the bench.

I'd like it it Eberle sensed he had to bring it most games.

Just imagine that, actually holding players accountable. Having something to play for every game. I'll be honest, I don't see them finishing 30th after this much needed coaching change, but somewhere between 24-27. I like it and don't like it at the same time because of all the damage thats already been done, but seeing progress is really welcome. However, our roster is still not NHL quality and we lack depth in key areas.

I'll stop rambling soon but I expect most of the rest of our games to go like last night. They looked like they wanted to be out there and they fought pretty hard for the most part, but they still ended up giving up huge, momentum killer goals. Our slot coverage is non-existent, goalies are mediocre at best, defensive execution is laughable, our team is filled with inexperience, and most teams seem to have that extra level (experience/mental toughness/physical toughness) they can go on against us, even when we compete really well. I Am The Liquor saw the team for what it was last night even when the rest of us wanted to believe otherwise. It's nice to see, though, I really enjoyed watching last night's game and seeing a new look to them. Loved it.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
You know what the encouraging thing about last nights game was? When they gave up the 2 goals to get behind the Sharks 3-2 they didn't pack it in, they actually showed some resilience and worked hard to get the lead back. Too many times under Eakins we saw bad things happen and the team just checked out. Even at the end of the game there was some good fight in them to try and get the tying goal. Niemi had to make a couple good saves in close. The mental part of the team appears to be a lot better now than it has been since the first couple games last year and that is huge even if the results haven't followed yet.

Yeah moral victories are old news, but I think considering how bad things were ****ed up during Eakins run we gotta take them with some new coaching in place

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We're still going nowhere under the watchful guise of Kevka.

DissidiaKefkaRender.png

Now there's a GDT idea somewhere down the road. It makes sense on so many levels.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
the RG3 trade, firing of shanahan and hiring a coach who has no use for RG3 in his offensive scheme who they might end up firing anyways after giving him a 5 year contract lol.

Cutler isn't THAT bad, hes not as terrible as say Andy Dalton

At the risk of a total derail, I'm going to have to disagree.

Chicago:

- signs Cutler to a massive long-term deal
- benches him in favour of an even worse starter
- has its OC as the "anonymous source" behind criticism that his starting QB can't manage the game properly
- has its HC "punish" his OC with nothing more than a reprimand

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
You know what the encouraging thing about last nights game was? When they gave up the 2 goals to get behind the Sharks 3-2 they didn't pack it in, they actually showed some resilience and worked hard to get the lead back. Too many times under Eakins we saw bad things happen and the team just checked out. Even at the end of the game there was some good fight in them to try and get the tying goal. Niemi had to make a couple good saves in close. The mental part of the team appears to be a lot better now than it has been since the first couple games last year and that is huge even if the results haven't followed yet.

Yeah moral victories are old news, but I think considering how bad things were ****ed up during Eakins run we gotta take them with some new coaching in place

I feel encouraged too. They still have some glaring holes in the line up but they kept fighting for it in spite of a couple boat anchors. The main thing I want as a fan is an honest effort. If you just aren't good enough I'll beak at management to bring someone else in but as a player you need to bring it every night. I liked that they showed a bit of greasiness last night too. They were on the body and aggressive at times. "Played to win" for a change.

For a self proclaimed psychological guru, Eakins was a dip ****. Several times he was harping in the media about how they couldn't play basic defense and couldn't score goals. He ended up with what he saw. A bit of a self fulfilling prophecy I guess. Why he would pigeon hole his guys like that is beyond me because they sure seemed to buy into it when a bit of adversity hit.:facepalm: It's going to be a chore for Todd to build them back up.

They entertained me last night for the first time since before Eakins was here. Yay :handclap:

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I only caught the last 12 minutes or so when they blew the lead but that 4th goal was just terrible. I mean giving up a breakaway was bad &, who knows, maybe the ref was going to call for a penalty shot if he didn't score but how do you score along the ice from 4 feet away while the goalie is down, supposedly in the butterfly, & it not be 5-hole?

Could Scrivens play any smaller? Lots of blame to go around.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I only caught the last 12 minutes or so when they blew the lead but that 4th goal was just terrible. I mean giving up a breakaway was bad &, who knows, maybe the ref was going to call for a penalty shot if he didn't score but how do you score along the ice from 4 feet away while the goalie is down, supposedly in the butterfly, & it not be 5-hole?

Could Scrivens play any smaller? Lots of blame to go around.

why on earth would the goalie not throw out a poke check in that situation? Guy had to deal with Schultz on his back so I don't think he was in a position where he could have stick handled away from it. Poke the puck away and he's not going to score. Those last two goals were not goals you expect to go in.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
... and he because of it he has gotten chances, same as Lander, same as Hunt.

I get the pessimism but you don't just stop giving chances to players who are performing very well in the AHL because it didn't work out for others or for said player in the past. If they had given up on Lander they would probably have told him and he would be packing his bags right now.
I agree he should get a look especially because Draisatl should be playing else where.

I just get annoyed as hell when anyone brings up the ppg in the AHL argument like it means something in the NHL. We heard that crap about Arcobello all summer long in regards to why it was okay for Mactavish not to bring another center in here. Makes my blood boil everytime somebody posts that.:rant:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
i cant believe everyone even watched Hunt dump the puck in. i already had the TV back to the Blues/Kings game (friend was over from STL... that's the only reason i watched any of the Oilers).

Scrivens is a baddie.
our team looks tiny 98% of the time.

the Logan Couture goal where he 4v1'd the Oilers is a joke. everyone on the ice there should be kicked in the nuts.

how does anyone in the organization live with themselves (millions of dollars, obviously)?
Scrivens is a lot like Dubnyk. He can play so well for most of the game and then completely lose it in stretches.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Chicago:

- has its OC as the "anonymous source" behind criticism that his starting QB can't manage the game properly

Chicago isn't the first or last NFL team to bench it's starting QB due to poor play. They also aren't the only team to overpay a player heading to free agency.

I'll say the. Bears are dysfunctional if they keep the status quo going into next year but from what I'm reading, there's a good chance that all the coaches, GM and even Cutler himself are all likely to be gone. That's how you fix a problem.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Chicago isn't the first or last NFL team to bench it's starting QB due to poor play. They also aren't the only team to overpay a player heading to free agency.

I'll say the. Bears are dysfunctional if they keep the status quo going into next year but from what I'm reading, there's a good chance that all the coaches, GM and even Cutler himself are all likely to be gone. That's how you fix a problem.

Will they actually tell the new coach they hired him this time before organizing a press conference announcing his hiring? :sarcasm:

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I agree he should get a look especially because Draisatl should be playing else where.

I just get annoyed as hell when anyone brings up the ppg in the AHL argument like it means something in the NHL. We heard that crap about Arcobello all summer long in regards to why it was okay for Mactavish not to bring another center in here. Makes my blood boil everytime somebody posts that.:rant:

The whole point of having an AHL Club is to develop players to play for the NHL club.

What's wrong with a player who can score ppg in the AHL?

Would you prefer players who couldn't score ppg?

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
i cant believe everyone even watched Hunt dump the puck in. i already had the TV back to the Blues/Kings game (friend was over from STL... that's the only reason i watched any of the Oilers).

Scrivens is a baddie.
our team looks tiny 98% of the time.

the Logan Couture goal where he 4v1'd the Oilers is a joke. everyone on the ice there should be kicked in the nuts.

how does anyone in the organization live with themselves (millions of dollars, obviously)?

I see that everyone jumped on Hunt for icing the puck in the last four seconds of the game. Big deal.

Did he cost the team a goal?

What was Justin Schultz doing on the breakaway goal? Asleep defensively again.

Yet how many people mention that? That's what cost the Oilers the game.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004

Chicago:

its not like the bears were the only people to give massive extensions to so so QB's. look at san fran and kaepernick, that dude can't even throw. unless hes playing the packers I guess

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
its not like the bears were the only people to give massive extensions to so so QB's. look at san fran and kaepernick, that dude can't even throw. unless hes playing the packers I guess

Well to be fair to the Bears, they aren't the Raiders.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Arcobello was 2 points per game in the AHL last year and showed enough at the NHL to get optimistic.

Lander has shown nothing at the NHL level and is only ppg.

Big difference.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Arcobello was 2 points per game in the AHL last year and showed enough at the NHL to get optimistic.

Big difference.

tbh neither has showed much of anything at this level. Arco for instance has 1 pt and not counting over the last 14GP in an entire one month period.

As unproductive as Lander has been in his stints he's been buried in the lineup with limited minutes when he is here and very seldom playing quality toi with quality linemates. Something Arco has been afforded regularly. To no great progress I could add.

Virtually anybody in the org at this point is going to be a better topsix Center option than the offensively inept Arcobello. Just like I predicted after a hot start he was going to fizzle out into nothing.

dobiezeke*

tbh neither has showed much of anything at this level. Arco for instance has 1 pt and not counting over the last 14GP in an entire one month period.

As unproductive as Lander has been in his stints he's been buried in the lineup with limited minutes when he is here and very seldom playing quality toi with quality linemates. Something Arco has been afforded regularly. To no great progress I could add.

Virtually anybody in the org at this point is going to be a better topsix Center option than the offensively inept Arcobello. Just like I predicted after a hot start he was going to fizzle out into nothing.

Have to agree - the day they ditched Gagner was cause for celebration knowing that Mact was going to bring in a new second line centre. MacT did good on the first, died on the second.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The whole point of having an AHL Club is to develop players to play for the NHL club.

What's wrong with a player who can score ppg in the AHL?

Would you prefer players who couldn't score ppg?
Seriously? Don't we already know there isn't anybody with any NHL talent down there?

A PPG average in a lower league doesn't mean that a player is ready to play in the NHL. It may be a good start but it shouldn't guarantee them a job at the start of the season. Guys like this should be used as call ups for injuries during the season or to play for guys that are struggling. Then they can prove they belong up here.

I agree Lander should get a shot but it has nothing to do with his PPG, it's because the guys up here aren't playing well enough.

I already explained what my issue was here. After hearing people like you pump Arcobello last summer off of how many points he scored in the AHL last year when he wasn't very good here. I don't think think there is anybody down there that will make the slightest difference up here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Big difference.
No. No difference at all. I can't believe you're still going on about Arcobello. You were wrong about him when just about everybody else was right.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Seriously? Don't we already know there isn't anybody with any NHL talent down there?

A PPG average in a lower league doesn't mean that a player is ready to play in the NHL. It may be a good start but it shouldn't guarantee them a job at the start of the season. Guys like this should be used as call ups for injuries during the season or to play for guys that are struggling. Then they can prove they belong up here.

I agree Lander should get a shot but it has nothing to do with his PPG, it's because the guys up here aren't playing well enough.

I already explained what my issue was here. After hearing people like you pump Arcobello last summer off of how many points he scored in the AHL last year when he wasn't very good here. I don't think think there is anybody down there that will make the slightest difference up here.

You might be right if we had 12-13 legit NHL forwards, we don't. I would say we are struggling at center ice, wouldn't you? You are going on about Arcobello being bad, so why not see if this time Lander does ok? And BTW Arco was better than Gagner last year, it was natural to think he might do ok.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
You might be right if we had 12-13 legit NHL forwards, we don't. I would say we are struggling at center ice, wouldn't you? You are going on about Arcobello being bad, so why not see if this time Lander does ok? And BTW Arco was better than Gagner last year, it was natural to think he might do ok.

Is Arcobello even THAT bad this year? He's on a team where no one is producing the kind of offence people want, but when you compare him to the rest of the team he's behind the people you'd expect him to be behind and ahead of the players you expect him to be ahead of. He's got one of the better +/- on the team. If he wasn't short I don't think people would have a whole lot of problems with the guy.

To my eyes the biggest thing holding him back is he lacks a real NHL finish, just not much of a goal scorer, but he does everything else well enough that you can play the guy in the NHL and he won't hurt you. I think there are bigger problems to worry about on this team than Arcobello. He may not be ideal but considering that the Oilers are supposed to have a bunch of depth on the wings he should be serviceable at one of the centre positions. Hell I'd still try him out with Hall and Eberle, it worked in the AHL perhaps it can work in the NHL if Hall and Eberle carry him along for the ride then let RNH carry a different line and see if that gets anyone else going.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Is Arcobello even THAT bad this year? He's on a team where no one is producing the kind of offence people want, but when you compare him to the rest of the team he's behind the people you'd expect him to be behind and ahead of the players you expect him to be ahead of. He's got one of the better +/- on the team. If he wasn't short I don't think people would have a whole lot of problems with the guy.

To my eyes the biggest thing holding him back is he lacks a real NHL finish, just not much of a goal scorer, but he does everything else well enough that you can play the guy in the NHL and he won't hurt you. I think there are bigger problems to worry about on this team than Arcobello. He may not be ideal but considering that the Oilers are supposed to have a bunch of depth on the wings he should be serviceable at one of the centre positions. Hell I'd still try him out with Hall and Eberle, it worked in the AHL perhaps it can work in the NHL if Hall and Eberle carry him along for the ride then let RNH carry a different line and see if that gets anyone else going.

I'd love to see RNH play with anyone other than Hall. When playing with Hall, Hall tends to be the one to "attempt" to gain the zone by driving along the wall and through one or two opposing players. Not usually successful and he ends up turning the puck over quite often. But, when RNH carries the puck, the line is usually very successful in gaining entry. When Hall was out of the line-up, RNH looked like a completely different player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad