Post-Game Talk: Oilers with a clutch 4-3 loss.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Hunt is PPG also...

They're both undrafted, older, and getting NHL time. At this point in the season Lander should be up and Draisaitl should be down. Give our prospects a chance before Drai is ready to fill the role full time.

He shouldn't have been playing last year or the year before, but that's what happens when you're an Oiler.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
They will just slot him into the fourth line and give him crumbs for ice time, then wonder why he isnt producing in the nhl.

Our management is the biggest joke in pro sports.

And we are being told to be patient, and are supposed to think something has changed because they fired the coach, but continue to use his systems.

I cant tell whether they are more arrogant than stupid, or if its the other way round.

Meanwhile our owner doesnt GAF unless it starts to affect his pocket book. Welcome to the 70's Leaf fan's world.

I think that Nelson will try Lander in the position where he is the most likely to succeed. If anyone knows where and how to play Lander that would be Nelson.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
So what. Arcobello was too.

... and he because of it he has gotten chances, same as Lander, same as Hunt.

I get the pessimism but you don't just stop giving chances to players who are performing very well in the AHL because it didn't work out for others or for said player in the past. If they had given up on Lander they would probably have told him and he would be packing his bags right now.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Didn't watch the game but I read someone post that they are using the same systems and tactics that Eakins used. Is this true? I think the PP was different atleast and I heard the practices were more uptempo.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Didn't watch the game but I read someone post that they are using the same systems and tactics that Eakins used. Is this true? I think the PP was different atleast and I heard the practices were more uptempo.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Nelson was running a similar system in OKC, and it takes more than a couple practices to change the system.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
i cant believe everyone even watched Hunt dump the puck in. i already had the TV back to the Blues/Kings game (friend was over from STL... that's the only reason i watched any of the Oilers).

Scrivens is a baddie.
our team looks tiny 98% of the time.

the Logan Couture goal where he 4v1'd the Oilers is a joke. everyone on the ice there should be kicked in the nuts.

how does anyone in the organization live with themselves (millions of dollars, obviously)?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ok, here you go, put your 18 game sample size aside for the moment. Yaks ppg for his career in the OHL was 1.59. McDavids ppg in the OHL is 1.58.....

Wow, pretty dam comparable if you ask me. Yes, yaks was three months older, but he also came from a different country and played on lower scoring teams.

Very comparable. get over your 18 game sample size.

Coyote fan, ex Oiler fan coming in peace. If you think Yak and McDavid are comparable your crazy. But don't worry, the Coyotes are going to get McDavid.:)

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Hunt ices the puck with an empty net. He's out there on the 6 v 5. That pretty much epitomizes his NHL career. Gross.

What I wanna know is the following; they call up Davidson, kid plays good, gets the job done, nice size, hits, and gets sent down. What gives? They are in love with Hunt or what? I had a great shot in road hockey, does that mean I will quarterback the pp in Edmonton.

Why don't they do a Green Bay model of owning a team and the fans take over the Oilers. This never stops

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
I checked the score at 1-0 Oilers, then 3-2 Oilers, and i was like wow maybe i should turn the game on...

...then i figured they would probably blow it. I'm not surprised to see this morning we lost.

btw anyone know the record for most vCash ever?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
third goal on Scrivens was weak. 4th goal maybe but it was a breakaway. On the flip side the first and second goal were on Niemi. The first Oiler goal was flat out weak. The second goal came from just a brutal rebound from Niemi. Goaltending was pretty even up on the night.

It's just more evidence that the Oilers find ways to lose. The coverage on the first Shark goal was hilariously bad. Sheppard had all 5 Oilers within a stick length and not one Oiler even made an attempt to cover him.

I am forever amazed Lowe and MacTavish have jobs. The top of the organization has to step in before seasons end and start the process of turning the team around. No free agents are going to touch the Oilers franchise with a ten foot pole without signs of life from the top.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Of course they would, all of that was fully endorsed by mact and why do you think mact is behind the bench for the next week or so. Teaching the new coach how he wants things run.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Niemi makes two clutch saves with 35 seconds left. Scrivens lets in two weak ones earlier in the period.

Team is still too mentally fragile. They just collapse when something goes badly against them.

Brad Hunt dumping the puck in from the wrong side of center with 5 seconds to go in the game is one of the odder things I've seen. Kid just isn't an NHL quality player. He never will be. We knew this at the start of the season. Nothing has changed since. Why is he here?

mcdavid_connor640.jpg

Eichel_BU4_672x412.jpg

The team actually played a decent game last night, about as good as they could considering the personnel.

It's blatantly obvious watching this group that they are incredibly limited in what they can do. Seeing Arco and then Draisaitl pop over the board, 2 line killers, you just know that their lines aren't going to get much done and then Purcell flanking Hall and RNH who obviously can't keep up with them. No wonder they can't score.

Then you have AHLers, rookies and and two 2nd pairing Dmen patrolling the blueline backstopped by 2 backup goalies so all that considered, it was nice to see them compete last night and get every bit out of their ability that they could but that's the problem, that they have to play balls out just to compete. I hope MacT gets a good firsthand look at the overwhelmed roster that he created and realizes that coaching isn't the main problem or that it's Tambo's fault.

dhawken

Jul 6, 2006
Michigan
The team actually played a decent game last night, about as good as they could considering the personnel.

It's blatantly obvious watching this group that they are incredibly limited in what they can do. Seeing Arco and then Draisaitl pop over the board, 2 line killers, you just know that their lines aren't going to get much done and then Purcell flanking Hall and RNH who obviously can't keep up with them. No wonder they can't score.

Then you have AHLers, rookies and and two 2nd pairing Dmen patrolling the blueline backstopped by 2 backup goalies so all that considered, it was nice to see them compete last night and get every bit out of their ability that they could but that's the problem, that they have to play balls out just to compete. I hope MacT gets a good firsthand look at the overwhelmed roster that he created and realizes that coaching isn't the main problem or that it's Tambo's fault.

MacT ironically is now coaching a whole bunch of players where the best outcome from each shift is to not get scored on.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Im not going to lie, im pretty excited for MacDavid

Same here, or Eichel. Either one is a potential franchise changer, just in time for the opening of the new building, eh Katzy boy? Although I was kind of hoping that they would pull out the win for Nelson but really wasn't too disappointed when they lost especially with it in regulation. Almost a perfect result IMO.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I thought they looked pretty solid for the most part. I'm all about the McEichel sweepstakes, so I'd much rather see a loss where they played hard for a full 60 than a win where we played average but got puck luck. I wouldn't care if we lost every game (except for CGY, gotta win those) the rest of the way, as long as they look like that.

As for the people trying to make a Yak/McDavid argument about not knowing (for certain) how a junior phenom will look at the NHL level, I think you need to watch more of McDavid. With Yak, it's all about the physical skills, very high end - strong, low center of gravity, explosive skating, heavy shot with a lethal release. But nowhere in his junior scouting report would there be anything about hockey sense, average at best (and even that's a stretch). He's a high energy, spastic, reactionary player, but at no point does it look like he ever anticipates the play properly.

Now watch McDavid. The kid plays at just as high, if not higher pace (might be the fastest player I've ever seen in junior), but he exudes patience and poise. He waits for a defender to make the first move before he decides what to do. Some of the goals where he splits the D or swoops in from behind the net for a clean look at the goalie, he out waits the goalie everytime. If you watch some of the goals on his highlight clips, the goalie is giving up half the net because he deked/out waited them that much. He's kind of like a Giroux/Tavares skillset in a Stamkos frame with the same explosive skating Stammer possesses. In a worst case scenario, he'll have a similar impact as MacKinnon had last year. That's worst case.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Scrivens in not an NHL goalie. Poor mechanics, no rebound control and good for a long range floater over the shoulder or under the arms every other game.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It's only two games but it seems like Nelson has the team playing a much more simple game and they stuck around till the end in both games. Hopefully they can ramp up their intensity and dare I say maybe even win a game or two.

Hunt and Arco looked like AHL'ers out there and Scrivens needs to make those saves on Goodrow and Tennyson.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
wish eberle played the way he did even 80% of the time. He showed a lot of effort along the boards. Against PHO he was getting knocked off everywhere.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
Washington? They aren't even the biggest joke in the NFL.

That honour goes to Chicago, who basically signed the NFL equivalent of Justin Schultz to a 100+ million contract, and who once hired a coach without telling him first.

the RG3 trade, firing of shanahan and hiring a coach who has no use for RG3 in his offensive scheme who they might end up firing anyways after giving him a 5 year contract lol.

Cutler isn't THAT bad, hes not as terrible as say Andy Dalton

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
wish eberle played the way he did even 80% of the time. He showed a lot of effort along the boards. Against PHO he was getting knocked off everywhere.

Pretty obvious he's one of the players the club has been watching and monitoring closely that hadn't been bringing it consistently. So he's making a better effort with a new coach and GM on the bench.

I'd like it it Eberle sensed he had to bring it most games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad