Post-Game Talk: oilers win toilet bowl 2013 3-2 (did only the third line play?)

Oct 15, 2008
Did he or did he say that a big part of building a champion ship calibre team is through the draft? Which is a pretty obvious statement. We got a lot of young talented pieces and we will add another one this summer when we pick in the top 5 but that's not what's going to fix this team.

He said they were going to keep building through the draft and that was the only way (that he knew of). Then he asked a reporter/reporters at the pc if they knew another way.

Ergot

Pinko
Oct 4, 2014
GVA
MacT, and you among other Oiler fans, need to stop penciling in our draft picks as our saviors. That's why we're in this mess to begin with.

MacT needs to make our team better without even thinking about the guys we draft this year. Sure, drafting McEichel would make his job easier, but maybe that's exactly why the universe isn't going to let us have one of those guys. MacT needs to learn from his mistakes and figure out how to be a successful GM.

If we don't have support for rookies when they make the team, they are going to struggle. Do you think Ekblad would be having the season he's having without Brian Campbell? I'll make it easy for you, there's only one correct answer, it's 'No.'

We need veteran RHD for when Nurse/Hanifin come in to play with them and help them. If we don't, we'll all be sitting around wondering why they're not coming along like we expected.

Hanifin, Nurse, and Drai could all come into the league in 2017, and either thrive in a decent team with veterans to show them the way, or nose-dive in a young team of prospects that are continuing the cycle of the last decade.

It's not hard. The team needs to be better BEFORE our picks come to fruition.

Precisely this. It's amazing to me how harshly many fans criticize Oiler management, and yet think almost exactly like them when it comes to their expectations of rookie players.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I see the free agency and trading as more critical for us than the draft, even if we win the lottery. No 18 year old player will help us win next season. Under Nelson I can imagine mixing in a new veteran yielding results in the win column.

Winning more now not only makes us more attractive to free agents, but will increase the value of our trade pieces (other than that 1st rounder I suppose)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
lol that RNH can't even get anything done against the worst NHL team in the league. Anton Lander could thankfully.

Speaking of which Lander has 7pts in 12 games since his callup as a 3rd line Center with limited minutes. Nuge has 5pts in same games and this pathetic production despite playing 22mins/night and 3mins/night on PP.

Did Nuge even have a scoring chance until late in the game last night when he finally seemed determined to create something?

Guy has pts in only 3 of the last 12 GP. The rest goose eggs. Some Allstar.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Anyone else concerned with how much better we are as a team without Hall in the lineup? That Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle line DOMINATED. Hall really brings Nuge and Ebs down a ton.

Not even slightly. We're not better without Hall, and honestly, it's ridiculous to claim that. Everyone wants their scapegoat, and injured Hall is apparently who's been picked now that Petry is on his way out.

It's clear that Nuge has developed to the point of being the key contributor on his line, so we need to take advantage of it. Play Hall with Yak and Roy

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Not even slightly. We're not better without Hall, and honestly, it's ridiculous to claim that. Everyone wants their scapegoat, and injured Hall is apparently who's been picked now that Petry is on his way out.

It's clear that Nuge has developed to the point of being the key contributor on his line, so we need to take advantage of it. Play Hall with Yak and Roy

I could see that working, Hall at least would finish some of those chances Yak's been handing out.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Its clear that he hasn't.

Nuges offensive production has fallen off dramatically in this year without having a Healthy Hall.

We're it not for Pouliot and Eberle bringing some offensive game there would be limited production. There is anyway in last dozen GP.

Bill Waters*

Jul 19, 2013
Orillia, Ontario
lol that RNH can't even get anything done against the worst NHL team in the league. Anton Lander could thankfully.

Speaking of which Lander has 7pts in 12 games since his callup as a 3rd line Center with limited minutes. Nuge has 5pts in same games and this pathetic production despite playing 22mins/night and 3mins/night on PP.

Did Nuge even have a scoring chance until late in the game last night when he finally seemed determined to create something?

Guy has pts in only 3 of the last 12 GP. The rest goose eggs. Some Allstar.

Gagner has 2 pionts in 3 games

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Gagner has 2 pionts in 3 games

Gagner has 4 less pts than Hopkins this season while playing 2nd and 3rd line and much less minutes than RNH.

At some point its time to start asking whats wrong with our illustrious Number 1 Centers production which rarely occurs in games now.

Our Allstar isn't even top 100 in pts although he gets a ton of minutes. His pts/60mins is just awful.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The game I was watching saw the first line generate exactly jack **** until Pouliot decided to start single-handedly generating offence in the back half of the third period.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gagner has 4 less pts than Hopkins this season while playing 2nd and 3rd line and much less minutes than RNH.

At some point its time to start asking whats wrong with our illustrious Number 1 Centers production which rarely occurs in games now.

Our Allstar isn't even top 100 in pts although he gets a ton of minutes. His pts/60mins is just awful.

Just not good enough. It's unacceptable. Leave it to the Oilers to pick like the worst time in 10+ years to tank.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Maybe RNH would get more points if he played less minutes. He plays a lot of minutes in every category, and his playing style is far from lethargic. He back checks and fore checks constantly. He also has gained a lot of weight over the off season and his minutes are less sheltered.

RNH leads the whole league in minutes per game and total minutes for a forward btw. So, you're points/min stat is very skewed by that.

Ultimately, this is a lot of excuses but imo they are good reasons why RNH's production problems are temporary. Some day Draisaitl can take some of these minutes and RNH will be fresher.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton

I'd question defensive matchups, surprising that isn't relevant right now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe RNH would get more points if he played less minutes. He plays a lot of minutes in every category, and his playing style is far from lethargic. He back checks and fore checks constantly. He also has gained a lot of weight over the off season and his minutes are less sheltered.

RNH leads the whole league in minutes per game and total minutes for a forward btw. So, you're points/min stat is very skewed by that.

Ultimately, this is a lot of excuses but imo they are good reasons why RNH's production problems are temporary. Some day Draisaitl can take some of these minutes and RNH will be fresher.

Theres no reason for the team to be overloading RNH right now. Gordon is having an excellent season, Roy has renewed his career and playing well, and yet Nuge is being tossed out there again and again. Lander has looked capable as well and with enough physicality to play in the league now and some good seasoning.

Sure RNH minutes are harder now but I see lots of shifts where his line gets hemmed in regardless of who they are playing against. I mean last night it happened against Buffalo. The other night against Minnesota. These are not hard matchups and yet our first line was getting owned when it got trapped in ownzone.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

well, maybe he needs to play less then, so he can be more effective.

regardless, when you have a #1 draft pick and NHL all star, which RNH is, he HAS to put points up. saying he plays good defense is enough for a 3rd or 4th line player, but not for him.

as you said. they are excuses, and poor ones, imo. he's just not getting it done.

I agree with Replacement on this one.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Its clear that he hasn't.

Nuges offensive production has fallen off dramatically in this year without having a Healthy Hall.

We're it not for Pouliot and Eberle bringing some offensive game there would be limited production. There is anyway in last dozen GP.

did nuge **** your wife or something lol. you seem to have a serious ax to grind with him. I admit his offensive production is lacking, however he plays a great all around game. He is the most complete player we have period.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
People *****ing about RNH production? WTF? I love his two-way play... In years past I would cringe waiting for that Hemsky-esque giveaway.

More players like him please! Dump passengers like Eberle and J.Schultz.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
People *****ing about RNH production? WTF? I love his two-way play... In years past I would cringe waiting for that Hemsky-esque giveaway.

More players like him please! Dump passengers like Eberle and J.Schultz.

It's certainly a valid complaint. You need your top line center to produce, and he's not doing enough of that right now. Besides, it's not like he's a world-beater defensively. He's alright but he's no Patrice Bergeron.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Not a popular opinion, probably, but I think we could trade Eberle for Bogosian in the off-season (with whatever going back and forth), and replace the RW position. Look to get a RW to complement those two line setups for the future. And for the love of god, only when Drai is truly ready. I think Hall - Drai - Yak (assuming Drai and Yak develop into their role properly) would be a great scoring 2nd line, whereas I'd like Pouliot and Nuge to get another defensively responsible banger as a RW.

So basically we trade our first line RW.... leaving us with no one as a first line RW.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
well, maybe he needs to play less then, so he can be more effective.

regardless, when you have a #1 draft pick and NHL all star, which RNH is, he HAS to put points up. saying he plays good defense is enough for a 3rd or 4th line player, but not for him.

as you said. they are excuses, and poor ones, imo. he's just not getting it done.

I agree with Replacement on this one.

No. If we had a half-way decent team that was scoring at any pace at all, or a power play that had decent options and vision (moving Nuge to the half-wall is a great start), and Nuge was falling behind in production, then you'd have a point.

We have a ****** team, and can't score with any regularity, and have been snake-bitten on the PP. He's playing 20-24 minutes per game, struggling to keep his head above water and the puck out of our red zone, with very little help...And you guys are upset he's not scoring like a 1st overall?

Jesus, seriously? Just because he's 1st overall, doesn't mean he's superhuman.

He has been our best player. Start watching hockey rather than the score sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad