Post-Game Talk: oilers win toilet bowl 2013 3-2 (did only the third line play?)

IrishDart

Jan 15, 2015
Come on the time on ice doesnt' mean that much considering most of that is pentantly killing. Even the best player in the league might get a extra 5 points on the PK and that is generous. So basically all those minutes can be subtracted. Even strenght and powerplay he doesn't play that much, ya he should be more productive, but don't use the ice time as a measure.

uh...what? Nuge averages 16:30 Even strength time a game, and 2:56 PP time a game.
He only averages 1:45 PK time a game. So of his average 21:20minutes, 19:35 is either PP or ES.

If you weren't talking about Nuge, I apologize. That's who I believe this discussion was about...

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Come on the time on ice doesnt' mean that much considering most of that is pentantly killing. Even the best player in the league might get a extra 5 points on the PK and that is generous. So basically all those minutes can be subtracted. Even strenght and powerplay he doesn't play that much, ya he should be more productive, but don't use the ice time as a measure.

As it's already been pointed out, he doesn't play that much on the PK(he's not even the primary PKer on the team). So he is most definitely not lacking for ice time as the primary forward on the team for PP/EV(he's like 2nd in the entire league for overall ice time among forwards), nor are his PK duties as a secondary team option impacting his time in offensive situations.

I don't assess him based on his ice time though, the ice time just magnifies what an ineffective offensive player he is at the NHL level.

Connor Mcdavey*

Hanifin is not as much of a drop off from McEichel as a lot of Oiler fans moan about.

In fact, some of the scouts interviewed about the top 3 say that the gap between Hanifin and Eichel is slimmer than the gap between Eichel and Mcdavid.

Hanifin is elite, and you're either only paying attention to the big sweepstake McEichel hype when you should be looking at the whole draft, or you're just not that clever if you think we'll be disappointed with Hanifin.

Let's try this again, kids.

We.
Are.
Not.
Finishing.
30th.
This.
Season.

If you have to repeat that like a mantra every morning until it sinks in, it would benefit all of us.

Ugh.. It's too bad you don't get it. The problem with our team is just that, the core is rotten. Coaches, GMs, assistant coaches - they're not the problem. It's Hall, Eberle, RNH, and to some extent Yak. Hall and co have been given every opportunity to suceed, don't give me that bull **** buddy. Why is Our core any different from other teams cores? Smyth, Horcoff, Hemsky, they weren't veterans? If we get McEichel, every other player from our core can go to hell. Laughingg stock of the league and you wanna stick with this core? YOU are the one not thinking clearly. There's obviously a sheer seperation between McEichel and what we currently have, try watching a game or two before you open your mouth

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
There's obviously a sheer seperation between McEichel and what we currently have, try watching a game or two before you open your mouth

Damn, those ISO tapes of Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid in the NHL you have must be rare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Connor Mcdavey*

Damn, those ISO tapes of Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid in the NHL you have must be rare.

Yeah , or the fact that Mcdavid was averaging nearly 3 points per game and has been touted as the next great one since he was 12, but those ISO tapes are cool too bro..

Last edited by a moderator:

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
Thats nice, but are you absolutely certain that Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel will be miles and miles better than two time top 10 NHL scorer Taylor Hall?

Or are you forming an opinion of 17 year old hockey players based on observations of such geniuses who thought Brayden Schenn was a surefire superstar

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ugh.. It's too bad you don't get it. The problem with our team is just that, the core is rotten. Coaches, GMs, assistant coaches - they're not the problem. It's Hall, Eberle, RNH, and to some extent Yak. Hall and co have been given every opportunity to suceed, don't give me that bull **** buddy. Why is Our core any different from other teams cores? Smyth, Horcoff, Hemsky, they weren't veterans? If we get McEichel, every other player from our core can go to hell. Laughingg stock of the league and you wanna stick with this core? YOU are the one not thinking clearly. There's obviously a sheer seperation between McEichel and what we currently have, try watching a game or two before you open your mouth

I am not sure I follow your logic.

Smyth parted ways with the Oilers and only returned for a bit, Horcoff and Hemsky were terrible/ineffective for us during our cores early stages.

Hall, and Eberle to a lesser extent, in previous years was carrying the team in so many offensive categories while being babes in the league.

RNH is years away from his potential and looking like he is actually developing the correct way if slower than some would hope.

Coaching is all about motivating, training, and developing a winning team. Anyone with eyes can see how much better near every player is under Nelson. Coaching and management are the primary ingredients for our losing culture.

Right now we have an NHL average/slightly below average roster it's just how it has been utilized/built to date.

Hall was an elite prospect when he was drafted. In the same breath as Stamkos, Seguin, Kane, Toews, etc.. Not Crosby level but not far off. Yak was often mentioned with Stamkos because he broke his record. RNH most common comparison was Pavel Datz, who is often cited by other players as the best hockey player in the world.

From everything I have read Eichel is in the Hall range and McDavid is in the Crosby range but until he actually gets to the league it's impossible to say that for sure.

Even Sidney Crosby on a Dallas Eakins lead Edmonton Oilers team would not get us into the playoffs. Our goal differential with Eakins at the helm could have ended up -100. McDavid can't get us out of that kind of deficit. The sabres will probably hit -100 this year and if they get McDavid his offense will just be a drop in the bucket of their problems. I don't expect the Sabres to be good for at leats another three years.

Since Nelson has been at the helm our goal differential is right around zero... Monumental difference.

There is no way to know how different our current core could have been without these clowns running the circus. But judging from how other franchises have turned it around by swapping out ineffective coaches/management that's the way I would go.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
uh...what? Nuge averages 16:30 Even strength time a game, and 2:56 PP time a game.
He only averages 1:45 PK time a game. So of his average 21:20minutes, 19:35 is either PP or ES.

If you weren't talking about Nuge, I apologize. That's who I believe this discussion was about...

I don't even get this? yes he plays 1:45 a game on the pk. that would push him down big time as far as ice time leaders go. That is all i was saying.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
As it's already been pointed out, he doesn't play that much on the PK(he's not even the primary PKer on the team). So he is most definitely not lacking for ice time as the primary forward on the team for PP/EV(he's like 2nd in the entire league for overall ice time among forwards), nor are his PK duties as a secondary team option impacting his time in offensive situations.

I don't assess him based on his ice time though, the ice time just magnifies what an ineffective offensive player he is at the NHL level.

1:45 is a lot of pk mins per game.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
1:45 is a lot of pk mins per game.

He plays 1:53, and it doesn't even qualify him as a top 50 forward in the NHL for PK TOI.

Your point that "most of his ice time is penalty killing" and "Even strenght and powerplay he doesn't play that much"(directly quoting there) - is simply not accurate when he's nearly the top ES/TOI player in the entire league, and leads the team in PP/TOI.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad