Oilers win 5-3

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
technical bs? MACT signed the omark. a player who was not on the team the previous year.

and if you want to draw timeline to define his roots in the organization, mact was here at the start (2007), tambo was not.

you argued he was tambo's player, even though he was initially brought into the organization before tambo (when mact was here), and his most recent contract was signed by mact.

your relevance chart appears to be

previous contract>current contract
and
previous contract>draft

relevance actually is

current contract>previous contract=draft.

that is to say neither of the latter two are all that important.

I did? I'd love to see that quote. I said his rights were already in the organiztion, that's it. MacT had nothing to do with him being drafted, what a stretch...

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Belov's been amazing. Like a gift from hockey heaven. If he was here last tear we might have made the playoffs. Cant wait to see him in real games, just seems like such a calming, smart presence.

Im cool with Nurse going back to the O for another year or two to get bigger and beast on the competition.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
mact was a coach, but im guessing he was slighty more involved in the draft than someone working for he canucks at the time. (not that important)

tambo signed him once. (not that important)

mact brought him back most recently. (important)

My personal opinion only reason Omark was resigned was A we held his right B the Oilers management did not want egg on their face if they cut him loose and he excelled on another team after a great season in the swiss league last year, and I made a comment which was pretty valid and had to respond to 10 posts from wannabe technical hf Lawyers bringing up silly counter arguments to undermine my post with useless banter. props to eskimo 44 for understanding what I meant

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Belov's been amazing. Like a gift from hockey heaven. If he was here last tear we might have made the playoffs. Cant wait to see him in real games, just seems like such a calming, smart presence.

Im cool with Nurse going back to the O for another year or two to get bigger and beast on the competition.

Really though, for a guy without the greatest speed, the guy makes the quick, smooth and smart play every damn time. He does very little wrong. I've seen him miss an assignment all but twice in his two games, but make heads up plays non-stop. Great signing. Good job MacT and European scouting staff here.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
The reason why Omark looks so bad is because he was more of a last minute political signing. It shows that the team treats its players fairly which will help to attract more UFA's. It also shows that the GM is not allowing the waste of development time on any draft pick, which may also explain the Grebs signing as well.

Now the fact that Omark was such a last inute signing would explain why he was sent down. Perhaps he was not expecting to play in the NHL this season, or especially for the Oilers, whom most of which have had the majority of the off-season toget into top physical condition to be ready for this TC. Omark just needs a conditioning stint and once he gets back into NHL shape and is on par with the rest of the guys, he will be a good call-up once again I am sure.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Most people around here believe Jones is on his way out.

The thing I find most amusing is people complaining that "MacT's guys are still here" and then seemingly want Tambo's guys to replace the guys MacT signed. It's kind of mind-boggling actually. :laugh:
Link these quotes or they don't exist.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'd rather have Nurse every day of the week.

It's also a matter of needs. A high skill winger was at the very bottom of organizational needs. I know almost everyone goes by the mantra of picking the best player available, but I'm not so sure there is a huge gap in their respective ceilings. Hard to say at the draft who was the BPA, and it still is. Nurse filled a much bigger organizational need, and acquiring players of his ilk are very costly. Sometimes you have to draft the players you need to fill in the gaps that would otherwise be very costly in terms of assets--especially when there was no real obvious BPA between the two. It was the right choice in many regards then, and I think it will work out that way in the long term.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Moved the Jones rumour to the training camp thread. Still waiting to hear a source.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Very, very impressed with Perron so far. It's certainly looking like Edmonton was the better fit for him. Nice to see he's developing chemistry already with Eberle too.

Belov has to be on our top 6 D, or something is seriously wrong with this organization. He's so calm out there. I was waiting for one of those massive clappers to go in

Larsen has surpassed my initial expectations of him when we did that trade, though truth be told they weren't very high. He can sure as hell skate, that's for sure

Arcobello is starting to give me hope that he'll be an okay stopgap on the 2nd line while Gags is gone, he was making some nice passes out there today. The wingers will carry him I think... maybe, just maybe, we'll survive October with an alright record until RNH is back.

Jones vs Hamilton... no idea who to go with this point. Both haven't impressed me much

Lander vs Acton... I can see why Lander was sent down besides nepotism. What was Acton's faceoff percentage compared to Lander's? Acton's defense is a bit of a concern to me. I'd still rather have somebody else there, but if he can win us faceoffs and not bleed goals, I'm warming to the idea. He's getting more icetime now then he will in the regular season so Eakins can have a look, the less he's out there the better for us in the regular season.

Can't say anything about Nurse that hasn't already been said... I can't wait to see the player he becomes.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
edit: regarding Nurse vs. Nichushkin

Maybe I am off the mark here but it seems to me that it is way more difficult to impress as a young defenseman than as a young forward?...

IMO the jury on these guys is out until 14/15, or even 15/16. By that time we should have a very good idea of Nichushkin and, if all goes well, about Nurse (I base that on how he looked this pre-season, otherwise I would give him another couple of years).

Oh, and if both are doing good (as they are right now) I don't see any reason for any supporter to regret his/hers team's pick.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
edit: regarding Nurse vs. Nichushkin

Maybe I am off the mark here but it seems to me that it is way more difficult to impress as a young defenseman than as a young forward?...

IMO the jury on these guys is out until 14/15, or even 15/16. By that time we should have a very good idea of Nichushkin and, if all goes well, about Nurse (I base that on how he looked this pre-season, otherwise I would give him another couple of years).

Oh, and if both are doing good (as they are right now) I don't see any reason for any supporter to regret his/hers team's pick.

Paajarvi was a beast for us in the 10/11 pre-season, and even had a strong first year at times, but still fell apart. The only times I've ever seen 18 year old d-men play like Nurse, were 'damn I wish we drafted that guy' potential #1 type players.

He looked more dominant out there than Hamilton in his first preseason.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It's also a matter of needs. A high skill winger was at the very bottom of organizational needs. I know almost everyone goes by the mantra of picking the best player available, but I'm not so sure there is a huge gap in their respective ceilings. Hard to say at the draft who was the BPA, and it still is. Nurse filled a much bigger organizational need, and acquiring players of his ilk are very costly. Sometimes you have to draft the players you need to fill in the gaps that would otherwise be very costly in terms of assets--especially when there was no real obvious BPA between the two. It was the right choice in many regards then, and I think it will work out that way in the long term.

Yeh ..who needs Nichushkin when you have Smyth as the top line LW. :sarcasm:
I think with Fedun\Marincin\Hunt\Klefbom\Gernat etc in the organization picking this highly skilled winger that has the body of Joensuu would have been better than Nurse.
Nurse looked great but wont be a factor for another 2 yrs.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So is that loss to the flames firmly in everyone's rear view mirror?

why should anyone be hung up on a preseason loss to Flames especially when it was a split squad and we beat them in CGY the same day?
I am actually not liking all these pre season wins.. Hard to drill in new ideas as a coach when wins are coming easy.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I wonder if the whole Will/Keith Acton thing could cause locker room issues.

I could see some players resenting Will if he starts sucking in the regular season.

I don't see why it would cause problems. You can wear the Tin Foil hat if you want but the fact of the matter is that Acton outplayed Lander or should i say was less underwhelming so he "earned" the spot or should i say that Lander lost the spot.
I sure hope that Eakins plans on playing the hell out of the top 3 lines so that the 4th line can play as little as possible. It's the weakest unit of the team BY FAR.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't see why it would cause problems. You can wear the Tin Foil hat if you want but the fact of the matter is that Acton outplayed Lander or should i say was less underwhelming so he "earned" the spot or should i say that Lander lost the spot.
I sure hope that Eakins plans on playing the hell out of the top 3 lines so that the 4th line can play as little as possible. It's the weakest unit of the team BY FAR.

It could cause problems since like you said Lander lost a spot and Acton didnt really earn it.. Father behind the bench IMO will not work out especially if Will has a couple bad games. Fans\Media will be on it and it will get into the dressing room \ minds of players organization.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
why should anyone be hung up on a preseason loss to Flames especially when it was a split squad and we beat them in CGY the same day?
I am actually not liking all these pre season wins.. Hard to drill in new ideas as a coach when wins are coming easy.

You'd be surprised how many people were upset after that loss, and given that Eakins hated our third period effort I'm not too worried

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Ex games often don't give a real indication of how the reg season will go for teams but the Oilers as a team just look so much more in control of games so far this year. Not domination or anything but good performances from all lines and d pairings. They look well organized and less panicky.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It could cause problems since like you said Lander lost a spot and Acton didnt really earn it.. Father behind the bench IMO will not work out especially if Will has a couple bad games. Fans\Media will be on it and it will get into the dressing room \ minds of players organization.

They should really get on MacT for not beefing up the competition for the #4C spot and thus, allowing Acton to basically get the job by default. It's kind of senseless to beat up on Acton for what people perceive to be nepotism.
I doubt that it would be much of an issue in the dressing room. Players aren't as petty as a lot of fans are about these types of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad