Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 4-3 ... Arcobello for MVP

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I find it interesting that after Florida tied the game late on a weak goal, most of the posts in the GDT were 'hahhahahhaha' type of posts rather than angry pissed off posts. That was kinda how I felt too.. i don't even get angry anymore at the team, I just laugh when crap like that happens.

Oct 30, 2011
I find it interesting that after Florida tied the game late on a weak goal, most of the posts in the GDT were 'hahhahahhaha' type of posts rather than angry pissed off posts. That was kinda how I felt too.. i don't even get angry anymore at the team, I just laugh when crap like that happens.

"Clear the puck! Oh, you guys didn't? Goal is coming soon."

I don't even think about the empty net at the other side. We might need the other team to score on themselves.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
So...you're just proving his point? Eberle only has 2 more goals in way more icetime.

Goals just happen right? Plays don't have to be made, or even started?

We get it "YakuBOT", you're a huge Yakupov supporter, but it doesn't change the fact that he's having a very hard time to the start of this season. That statline alone should given you even the smallest idea of how he's struggling. He's be put into every position, and I don't blame Eakins for ultimately trying him out in the PB again.

He just doesn't, well, get it when he's on the ice. Or if he does, no one else has even the slightest inclination of what his version of, "it" is out there. Skate around weirdly. Stop and start on rushes. Hack at the puck. Fumble the easiest gimmies of passes. Dump in and change at awkward times on a shift.

I don't get it.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I really liked Philip Larsen's game last night. He looks a bit small, but his speed and transition game looks good. He can fly out there. He looked pretty good on the PP as well.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
I just posted this in the YAK to OKC? thread but will share here as well.

This is very interesting as well- from the Oilers blog.

Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins sat Nail Yakupov for the final 9:14 of the third period on Tuesday night as well as in overtime. When asked about it, the head coach said that it didn’t really have anything to do with how Yakupov played. In fact, he liked what he saw from the Russian winger.

“The thought process for me — I think I didn’t play him after the eight-and-a-half minute mark, somewhere around there — we had enough forwards that were playing really well defensively. It wasn’t more about protecting our team, it was about protecting the kid.â€

Yakupov was on the ice for the first Panthers goal but certainly couldn’t have been faulted for it. In all, he had two shots on net in 12:47 of ice-time.

“I thought he had done enough well in the game defensively and tried hard enough that I just didn’t want anything to go wrong for him. We had enough guys to cover it off.

“They ended up tying the game there on a broken play but when you give up three chances in the third protecting a lead you’ve done one hell of a job. It was little to do with his play, it was more of, listen, you had a sound game for what we were looking for from you and that was enough.â€

Yakupov skated primarily on a line with Sam Gagner and Ryan Smyth. Gagner and Smyth both ended up minus-two as they were out there for the tying goal.

“I didn’t want anything crazy to happen for him to put a negative spin on it. And now, sitting for eight minutes seems to be a negative spin but it wasn’t. I was happy with his game and I just wanted it toend there and protect him.â€

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I just posted this in the YAK to OKC? thread but will share here as well.

This is very interesting as well- from the Oilers blog.

wow, you are playing so good that.........your not going to play.

I figured Yak got benched for making that beautiful pass to Smyth where he almost scored on a wrap around. the mandate was out to make him look bad so they can force him into retirement.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Goals just happen right? Plays don't have to be made, or even started?

We get it "YakuBOT", you're a huge Yakupov supporter, but it doesn't change the fact that he's having a very hard time to the start of this season. That statline alone should given you even the smallest idea of how he's struggling. He's be put into every position, and I don't blame Eakins for ultimately trying him out in the PB again.

He just doesn't, well, get it when he's on the ice. Or if he does, no one else has even the slightest inclination of what his version of, "it" is out there. Skate around weirdly. Stop and start on rushes. Hack at the puck. Fumble the easiest gimmies of passes. Dump in and change at awkward times on a shift.

I don't get it.

Eberle picked up a bunch of secondary assists as a byproduct of his icetime. I can count on one hand how many good plays he's actually made this season.

I don't care if Yakupov is benched or scratched. If you're going to preach accountability and fairness and all that crap, then follow through with it for everyone on the team. Nuge was playing terribly before last night, but he was allowed to play through it. He didn't get benched or scratched. Eberle has been playing like crap for a while now, but he has not gotten benched or scratched either. Hemsky had a bad giveaway which led to a goal last night, but he didn't miss a shift.

Although Yakupov didn't generate much offense against Florida, he also wasn't a defensive liability. It's pretty obvious that there are a different set of rules for Yak than there are for the other players on the team.

I support whatever makes us into winners. Teams like Boston can get away with benching/scratching young players because they win and they know what it takes to win. The Oilers play like losers and only know how to lose, judging by watching them play and now backed up by Ference's comments. Guys like Hall and Eberle have already begun to play like losers. They care more about the dangles than making the simple, yet effective, plays. I can't really blame them a whole lot for that because management and coaching staff are supposed to develop good skills and habits into these players.

When they go out on the ice for 20 minutes and make stupid dangles and turnover the puck, they're not worth the 6m they're being paid. Too bad no one let's them hear it. And if they do hear it and they don't listen, then **** them. Bench, scratch, or trade them if worst comes to worst.

You're sorely mistaken if you think this is just about Yakupov. It's about the entire culture of losing and entitlement the Oilers have in their organization.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta

I figured Yak got benched for making that beautiful pass to Smyth where he almost scored on a wrap around. the mandate was out to make him look bad so they can force him into retirement.

I think that as long as Yakupov knew and understood that's why he was benched, I don't mind it. Maybe Yakupov really beats himself up when he's on the ice for a game tying goal against/gwg against. Maybe his confidence takes a major hit and he blames himself. Who knows really, but if it was done to protect him and he knew that at the beginning of the benching - then again, I'm ok with it.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
So...you're just proving his point? Eberle only has 2 more goals in way more icetime.

eberle also has among the best scoring chances created for/against ratios on the team.

i dont value peopes opinions when they dont match the obvious truth on the ice and they start spouting conspiracy theories (the crutch of the unintelligent). would i like to see the toe drag banned (eberle hall etc)? yes. does yakuov need some major sheltering? yes. has he gotten better as the season has gone on? yes, i think he has. Is Eakins doing a good job with this 1 guy out of 30 that Eakins needs to work with? yes.

While a poster might only care to whine about a single specific player and the illuminati conspiring against them, coach has to actually do whats best for all the players and the team as a whole. that is of course before the aliens and satan come in to play with their mind control and reincarnated nazi officers... who are obviously making Yaks play like **** in ver sheltered minutes and situations.

its not yak, none of what yak does is his fault..its all conspiracy. we know. you are an expert.

Last edited:

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton

He got positive reinforcement for playing well defensively in his ice time he built up his confidence a bit and Eakins didn't want something stupid to happen on the ice while Yak is on the ice so he was protecting him from failure

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I think that as long as Yakupov knew and understood that's why he was benched, I don't mind it. Maybe Yakupov really beats himself up when he's on the ice for a game tying goal against/gwg against. Maybe his confidence takes a major hit and he blames himself. Who knows really, but if it was done to protect him and he knew that at the beginning of the benching - then again, I'm ok with it.

its code for "hey you are doing well...but we dont trust you so.....have a seat while we play ryan smyth

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
its code for "hey you are doing well...but we dont trust you so.....have a seat while we play ryan smyth

yup. as eakins said... the rest of the team only gave up 3 chances in the third... unfortunately 2 get in. i think its a pretty big statement from the coach on what is wrong (goaltending). if you give up only 3 chances you shouldnt be fishing 2 pucks out of the back of your net.
yeah i think when you pile up a minus 600 in the least amount of ice time on the team... i think its obvious you arent to be trusted with anything. and in a nhl sense , you hve no place here. this isnt even an nhl team and hes the weakest link. he is now being heavily sheltered to get him progressing and his game is starting to come round. still not nhl material but he is suitable on this ahl squad.

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I don't think PB'ing Yakupov is a good idea and I'll stand by my judgment. Why isn't Eberle being benching for his ****ty play?

Oh, I've advocated for both Hall and Eberle to be benched at various times this year.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Being -13 in 14 games is pretty messed up.

Is it really that messed up when the team gives up 4 goals per game and the player is not very good defensively? If the guy put up a few more points, he would be right in line with every other slug on our roster. I'm personally very concerned about Petry, Smid, and Schultz.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He got positive reinforcement for playing well defensively in his ice time he built up his confidence a bit and Eakins didn't want something stupid to happen on the ice while Yak is on the ice so he was protecting him from failure

I don't see how any super competitive athlete can take it positively.

Eakins is basically telling him he played great, but it's more than likely he's going to screw up and cost the team, so he's done for the night.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Is it really that messed up when the team gives up 4 goals per game and the player is not very good defensively? If the guy put up a few more points, he would be right in line with every other slug on our roster. I'm personally very concerned about Petry, Smid, and Schultz.

I'm saying in any situation, being -13 in 14 games is crazy. I didn't say anything about the player.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I really liked Philip Larsen's game last night. He looks a bit small, but his speed and transition game looks good. He can fly out there. He looked pretty good on the PP as well.

He reminds me of a very young Vishnovsky. Great skating and solid stick checking abilities with keen sense of when to join the rush. I have been impressed with him since TC.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
I don't see how any super competitive athlete can take it positively.

Eakins is basically telling him he played great, but it's more than likely he's going to screw up and cost the team, so he's done for the night.

Or maybe the super competitive athlete will realize that if he wants to play in cruch time then he has to be at least somewhat defensively responsible .....something all young players need to learn.....those minutes need to be earned and not given .....something that should of been happening at the start of the rebuild with some other players as well.....accountability

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Or maybe the super competitive athlete will realize that if he wants to play in cruch time then he has to be at least somewhat defensively responsible .....something all young players need to learn.....those minutes need to be earned and not given .....something that should of been happening at the start of the rebuild with some other players as well.....accountability

Again, how is Yak supposed to take that positively?

Eakins is trying to spin benching Yak for the last 15 minutes of the game as a positive for him.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
I swear if Yakupov was Canadian he would never be benched by Eakins.

Also said it before and i will say it again Devan Dubnyk is the worst starting goalie in the league.

LOL my exact sentiments., wonder what the odds are in inking him to a 7 yr $50 million contract are like the small injury prone Canadian boys.

YES, Dubnyk is a disgrace, he should be in the ECHL

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Exactly. Like the game tying goal that Yaks line was on for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad