Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 4-3 ... Arcobello for MVP

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Poor Yak got sat for the rest of the game including OT
yet Hemsky turned a fat one over for the 3-2 goal.

Watch Yak out there shift in and shift out and he does nothing. He's lost out there. Even on the PP, he's one-dimensional and broadcasting what he's gonna do. Yeah, Hemsky had a turnover, but he's working out there. Watch how hard he backchecks.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Sit Gagner next game bring in Omark. AHL players are doing great on the oilers.

Gagner is still obviously hurting and nervous. Not ready.

Arco to centre

Yak on every power play every time till people pass to him without thinking its Yak and get Yak some points. Clear his head a bit and get him in the good books.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
And our 4th line is awful. I'm tired of watching those guys flop around trying to get the puck out of our end and giving up chance galore. Keep Gazidic, send the other two down and replace them with Lander and Omark.

You know, I as OK with Acton being on the team to start the season because I thought he had an alright pre-season and Lander really didn't do much, but I'm sure not seeing much in his game that warrants him beng up anymore. Although Lander always leaves me wanting more, I think it's time to bring him up and send Acton down.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If Yak was in Boston, he would have been "Seguin'd". They would have kept him on a 3rd line with a couple trusted vets, sat him out a few, played him a bit on the PP and developed him slowly. All season long. And every season until he get's it. And there would have been no whining and gnashing of teeth. But with this org, and the pathetic lack of depth, that rarely happens.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
If Yak was in Boston, he would have been "Seguin'd". They would have kept him on a 3rd line with a couple trusted vets, sat him out a few, played him a bit on the PP and developed him slowly. All season long. And every season until he get's it. And there would have been no whining and gnashing of teeth. But with this org, and the pathetic lack of depth, that rarely happens.

Bull feathers. The fans went nuts if Yak is on the 3rd line.

Last edited:

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Oilers need top line players, the kids aren't there yet and will progress faster playing in positions they can actually be successful. Yeah they get points but they also get schooled in their own end because they need to be able to show they can shut down another teams 3rd line before they are put against their 1st line.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
don't like some of the journal grades. would have given eberle a 5 and dubnyk a 3.
I wonder if Gagner should even be playing right now.
he might have come back to soon.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

So they would do what the oilers have been doing all year? 48 games into his career.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
A reminder to posters that copying and pasting an entire article from another site isn't allowed. Please link to it instead.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
At least Arcobello has been a pleasant surprise. The similarities between him and Marty St. Louis are pretty close. Both undersized college guys that couldnt stick in the NHL until they were 25 years old. Obviously 16 games is way to small of a sample but until he falls back to earth I'll enjoy it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bull feathers. The fans went nuts if Yak is on the 3rd line.

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say. You've gone from past tense to future all in one sentence, and I'm not sure what fans you're referring to, our's or Boston's?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bit surprised to see you posting something like this COO. I agree with others who are saying that Yakupov has not been significantly worse than other players. He has been significantly worse than he was at the end of last season, but that was a pretty blistering pace he was setting for himself. Probably got too many people's hopes up too high.

imo its clear that Eakins is giving Yak the Penner treatment. I don't like it - particularly when Eakins said that he was all about fair play for everyone, and handing out the icetime based on merit.

I think it's fair to say that Yakupov has consistently been the worst skilled forward all season. Granted, he's younger than the other guys but i don't remember any of the other young guys being this poor for this long. It just doesn't seem like Yakupov is buying into what Eakins is preaching AT ALL moreso than any other player on this team. It's very noticeable how lost he is out there, he just seems to be doing his own thing independent of the team concept.

Now, the other skilled forwards have had trouble playing a structured game as well but at least they produce offense, always have. Yak has been poor in every aspect and with the team up by 2 goals in the 3rd, I'm sure that Eakins was just looking to get a win by any means possible so he benched their most defensively inept player.
The one beef i had with the Yakupov benching was that he wasn't put out there for the 4 on 3 PP. A goal in that situation not only would have sealed the game but would have given Yak some much needed confidence.

It's really sad to see how lost he looks because he obviously has the talent and the passion to be so much better than this but at some point, the onus has to fall on the player to improve his game.
I see a lot of posters always blaming the coaches for playing him on the wrong lines, not playing him enough or blaming RNH, Eberle or Hall and now Gagner because they apparently refuse to pass to him. As i said, it's always somebody else's fault and never his own fault.

Last edited:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Last I looked he was playing on the 1st line.

Right now and only on paper if you consider Smyth and Gagner the top line. Even then he was benched for good portions of the 2nd half of the game and only finished with 12:47 in icetime with a minute of that being on the PP.

To start the year he played a secondary role, he lined up with Gordon and Joensuu on the third line. He then spent the next couple 10 days splitting his time with either Gordon or Arco and a combo of Perron, Hall, Joensuu and Smyth.

But obviously with all the injuries to this team, it's thrown a wrench into playing him in a desired or sheltered spot. According to hockeyanalysis.com he's played mostly with Nuge (a little over half his ice time). Eberle and Perron have been him most common wingers but his linemates have been really all over the place.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Not sure I understand what you're trying to say. You've gone from past tense to future all in one sentence, and I'm not sure what fans you're referring to, our's or Boston's?

Typed on the phone, sorry. I'm sure you didn't understand what I meant. And please Mr. grammar police, can you explain your usage of an apostrophe in the word ours?

Oilers fans, and posters here, were apoplectic when Yak was on the 3rd line. You honestly going to deny that? There is no way the coaches in Edmonton can win with the masses. If they put the kids lower in the line-up they are holding them back. If they get bumped up the pecking order they are being ruined. Sent back to juniors, unfair, he's going to demand a trade. Put him on the pro roster, too soon, going to ruin him. And around and around it goes.

Last edited:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Arco is starting to really grow on me. Even his play without the puck is rather good. He could easily have way more than the 2 goals he has now with all the golden chances he's had. After the first few games, I joked about Arco for Calder, now I'm starting to believe he actually has a shot at it. Crazy.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
@NHLbyMatty: Eakins says he told Yakupov not to believe any of trade rumours that "he and team joined at the hip"but Yak might sit vs tbay.#oilers

Eakins logic is unparalleled.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
@NHLbyMatty: Eakins says he told Yakupov not to believe any of trade rumours that "he and team joined at the hip"but Yak might sit vs tbay.#oilers

Eakins logic is unparalleled.

So he can't reassure a young player and keep him from getting distracted by trade rumors but still sit him because he needs to work on things?

Not sure whose logic is at risk here.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
So he can't reassure a young player and keep him from getting distracted by trade rumors but still sit him because he needs to work on things?

Not sure whose logic is at risk here.

I don't think PB'ing Yakupov is a good idea and I'll stand by my judgment. Why isn't Eberle being benching for his ****ty play?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I don't think PB'ing Yakupov is a good idea and I'll stand by my judgment. Why isn't Eberle being benching for his ****ty play?

Yakupov is Russian and they like to make an example of guys like him. Eberle gets a free walk being the Canadian boy next door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad