Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 2-1

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Scrivens is maintaining his high level of play...very nice to see.

Hendricks has been a very welcome addition.

I sure hope Lander stays with the big club for the rest of the season.
The last 2 games have been pretty good and its important for him to get some NHL confidence.

I think there may be a 3rd line NHL player in there somewhere.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Scrivens is maintaining his high level of play...very nice to see.

Hendricks has been a very welcome addition.

I sure hope Lander stays with the big club for the rest of the season.
The last 2 games have been pretty good and its important for him to get some NHL confidence.

I think there may be a 3rd line NHL player in there somewhere.

He's playing with more confidence and involved in more plays than at any other point I can recall. It's only been 2 games, but these are some nice signs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's playing with more confidence and involved in more plays than at any other point I can recall. It's only been 2 games, but these are some nice signs.

I agree.

Hopefully he carries that through the remainder of the season.
Lander is so versatile it would benefit the team immensely if he pans out.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I always like that he can play physical and withstand some checks and maybe dish some out. If he could get bring some consistent physical play on the dot here one would think he has a lot of a niche here in his position. Whenever I see him he seems more like 200lbs. Although I see him listed at 185lbs still?!

I will say this if ever there was a huge chance for a player on a bubble to stand out Lander is being afforded that contextually by this org. :amazed:

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Yeah Lander looked more comfortable last night. I really like his defensive awareness. Was one play at the end when he recognized one of the Staals in a dangerous position and quickly tied up his stick. Also like that he went to the net several times. His defensive smarts alone should give him a shot in the bottom six next year and if he some of his AHL production translates he's a third line lock. Really liked that line last night.

Other things that were good last night. First of all Hendricks, in the first period he was really beasting it, seems like he got Boyd Gordon to pick up the battle axe again, Gordon looked less passionate about blocking shots and so on for a while but the last few weeks his internal warrior has woken up.

Also loved Yak showing a bit of crazy when Hendricks was in a 2 against 1. He actually had one or two good defensive plays with an active stick. Kid is trying. His offensive confidence is lacking but that line as a whole seemed focused on not crashing down defensively last night which was nice to see, I kinda like that they've been kept together in a "get your **** together" sense instead of being broken up and having a chance to blame chemistry or being to similar in style you're saying "you guys have a problem, figure it out". Sometimes that's the way to go and in a lost season the lesson is worth some struggle.

Klefbom continues to be solid, nothing out of this world, just really solid. Made Fraser look like a good defensive defenseman which is a feat. There was a great situation where Klefbom semi-failed with a pinch and instead of getting caught up ice he turned around and quickly got back in position. Skating and awareness allows him to be aggressive on the respective blue lines which is a great asset. I'm kinda amazed how he and Marincin have come in and really solidified our defense.

Having NHL-level goaltending is fantastic, when we had the lead with 7 mins left I thought to myself "we'll at least get a point tonight, no way we let in two more goals in regular time", which is...different.

Hall is playing more and more consistently like a top player, wasn't in beast mode last night but just played at a high level all night. Gagner keeps playing well, the struggles before this season more and more seems to be stemming from his fractured jaw. That whole line played ok but not great last night, thing is they look like an actual top six line and have been every night since being put together which is very nice to see.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Rexall place is consistently among the top facilities in the world for ticket sales according to pollstar numbers. Why do you think a lot of top sellng artists play two shows here?

This is currently one of the rare places, certainly in NA, where people have a lot of disposable income and just looking for things to do.

When I say "one of the hottest markets" is there something that you don't comprehend in that terminology? For big ticket entertainment right now this is one of the hot entertainment markets. We'll pay a lot here for hockey, concerts, etc. Nowhere in my post did I refer in the slightest to volume of entertainment provided here.

Next, when someone invokes the terminology hottest it refers to it being inordinately traded in relation to what usual demand would be. i.e. hot.

to wit if you read that a certain stock was one of the hottest in the world it would refer to how much its risen in volume stock price or sales and is not at all a reference to total revenues or anything like that. Hot infers hot, not sure how that's at all confusing.

No confusion. You are blasting out hyperbole again. Hot means happening or highly active right? Seems you would agree with that considering the post above. That study was looking at arena ticket sales only. Which Edmonton finished in #26. That of course ignores smaller concert halls, opera houses, stadium shows, clubs, etc. Also places like London, NYC, LA, Paris, Chicago, etc also have first run live theater, with internationally renowned actors, opera, ballet, jazz, blues, and on and on acts going all the time in these smaller venues.

These larger centers also have art galleries and world renowned museums with major shows going on most of the year.

Not to mention a far livelier urban street scene, cafe culture and other forms of socializing that can be found in other locals.

Add all those together and you can see that;

a) there is a hell of a lot going on in those other places

and

b) the arena shows have a ton more competition for the punters entertainment dollar.

Again, this is not knocking Edmonton at all. It is a fine little city with friendly inhabitants, lovely parks, and decent entertainment especially for a place of her size and location.

But it is not an entertainment hub. Get over it. Doesn't make it bad. Just the way things are.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No confusion. You are blasting out hyperbole again. Hot means happening or highly active right? Seems you would agree with that considering the post above. That study was looking at arena ticket sales only. Which Edmonton finished in #26. That of course ignores smaller concert halls, opera houses, stadium shows, clubs, etc. Also places like London, NYC, LA, Paris, Chicago, etc also have first run live theater, with internationally renowned actors, opera, ballet, jazz, blues, and on and on acts going all the time in these smaller venues.

These larger centers also have art galleries and world renowned museums with major shows going on most of the year.

Not to mention a far livelier urban street scene, cafe culture and other forms of socializing that can be found in other locals.

and

b) the arena shows have a ton more competition for the punters entertainment dollar.

Again, this is not knocking Edmonton at all. It is a fine little city with friendly inhabitants, lovely parks, and decent entertainment especially for a place of her size and location.

But it is not an entertainment hub. Get over it. Doesn't make it bad. Just the way things are.

Whatever, I was quoted out of context, its not important, and its OT.

moving on

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

and

Not sure how this topic got woven into a post game thread but I have to say that this was an excellent rebuttal.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Speculation.
We can all prattle off second round and later gem picks too.

What are you talking about? That list just shows the difference between taking the first dman drafted, and the dmen taken a few picks later (actually, OEL was second, but the point remains with Hedman)

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
What are you talking about? That list just shows the difference between taking the first dman drafted, and the dmen taken a few picks later (actually, OEL was second, but the point remains with Hedman)

You listed a bunch of highly toughed early first round draft pick dmen.
We can all do the same with a mid second round dmen who are putting those guys to shame.
That's why I called it speculation.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I always like that he can play physical and withstand some checks and maybe dish some out. If he could get bring some consistent physical play on the dot here one would think he has a lot of a niche here in his position. Whenever I see him he seems more like 200lbs. Although I see him listed at 185lbs still?!

I will say this if ever there was a huge chance for a player on a bubble to stand out Lander is being afforded that contextually by this org. :amazed:

theahl.com has him listed at 6'0" 194lbs. He sure looks like a solid 200lbs. to me too.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You listed a bunch of highly toughed early first round draft pick dmen.
We can all do the same with a mid second round dmen who are putting those guys to shame.
That's why I called it speculation.

It's speculation that taking the highest ranked dman has consistently worked out better than picking later? I don't even know what you're attempting to argue... It doesn't matter if Ekblad doesn't end up the best dman. The point is to get the guy who has the best shot at being the best dman. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. Just because Datsyuk was a 6th rounder doesn't mean we should skip drafting until the 6th round. The best players are usually taken at the start of the draft. Fact.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

and

true, fair and cordial. Edmonton is getting a reputation, within the promoters' circles, as a place where you can get 17,000 people to pay $200 a ticket. there are not a lot of places that can do that (other than the mega-cities that you mentioned. Places like Cincinatti, Pittsburg, Portland, Detroit.... I don't know, but do they have the expendable they once had?). And some that can, like Calgary, haven't got the arena/stadium to house the equipment of a mega-band, like U2 or Paul McCartney (Saddledome has that low roof, not band friendly). Pretty much all the big bands come here, which, like you said, is Kudoos for a smaller, northern, out-of-the-way city.

we are what we are. small, getting bigger. cheers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
true, fair and cordial. Edmonton is getting a reputation, within the promoters' circles, as a place where you can get 17,000 people to pay $200 a ticket. there are not a lot of places that can do that (other than the mega-cities that you mentioned. Places like Cincinatti, Pittsburg, Portland, Detroit.... I don't know, but do they have the expendable they once had?). And some that can, like Calgary, haven't got the arena/stadium to house the equipment of a mega-band, like U2 or Paul McCartney (Saddledome has that low roof, not band friendly). Pretty much all the big bands come here, which, like you said, is Kudoos for a smaller, northern, out-of-the-way city.

we are what we are. small, getting bigger. cheers.

Yep, well, my whole point in the first place, which was selectively misconstrued and taken out of context, is that todays big name stars come here. They all come here. In fact many of the biggest touring acts play 2 shows here. If people read back to find the context the discussion clearly stemmed from whether Edmonton Oilers are now in a position to attract big name free agents. I think they are, already, and with the new arena moreso affording this possibility. Like I stated I was never talking about volume of entertainment, but big ticket entertainment. Which we get a lot of.

As a final thought were usually among the top half dozen NHL ticket prices in the league. Paying that for a club that is consistently worst in the league. Theres two hockey markets in the world, only, that would pay that much for such a lousy club, NY, Toronto. I don't know any other city would. Anywhere.
We have deep and loyal pockets here apparently.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad