Rumor: Oilers will make move for veteran Dman when Sekera goes on IR

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
What about Goligoski? I think he's destined to play on the Coyotes 3rd pairing anyway, so I think they could be open to trading him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I dont think the Sens have a veteran defenseman anymore. Does Ceci count?

You want Wideman or Boro?

You can have Gaborik too. He scored 5 goals in a game once.

Please kill me.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pardon my ignorance, but will they have cap space even after LTIR to sign Nurse and trade for a big $$ D-Man? Wouldn't the Nurse signing be more important at this time?

No they wouldn't. If they had 4m in cap space, it would be a waste to put Sekera onto LTIR, as he only gives Edmonton cap space to exceed the cap by the amount that that contract puts them over the cap. So if Edmonton was 4m under the cap, it would be an utter waste to put Sekera onto LTIR, as that would only gain Edmonton 1.5m in cap space. Which means prior to putting him onto LTIR, Edmonton needs to be right up against the cap to gain maximum cap space.... and the only way that's going to happen is if they acquire another D to fill Sekera's role/spot or if they sign Nurse.

LTIR is a funny thing . Take the players cap hit and divide it over 82 games . Every game he is out you can exceed the cap by that amount . In Sekera case 5.5 million divided by 82 = 67,000,00 a game . You can not bank his savings , you can not use his savings to pay bonuses . You can only exceed the cap by the 67,000 a game until he return . So it will not be that easy to do . Of course this is assuming there are any bonuses made

They only get to do that if they're maxed out at the very upper limit. If they're under the cap, they lose out on the cap space they already have/had. Which is why GMs try to get as tight as possible to the cap before they put someone on LTIR... so that they get the most cap relief possible.
Sekera's full cap hit is counted when he returns though.

I'm just saying that Chia doesn't have to wait until the regular season starts to sign Darnell and trade for a D-man.

The Oil can go 5.5 mil over until then.

A) Yeah that's the tough part. Having 5m+ in cap space is great to bring in a replacement... but if the guy on LTIR isn't out for the entire season, you have to worry about who you're going to trade to make room to get under the cap.

B) Only if they're tight against the cap before putting Sekera on LTIR.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm not going to dig very much because I don't have time but Justin Schultz was traded for a 3rd round pick at the time he was probably a #4-5D.

As a Penguins fan I'll address this one.

Schultz was traded for a 3rd - with 50% retention. And then proceeded to play just over 14 minutes a game for the Penguins. In the POs for them on their way to a cup, he barely played 13 minutes a game and was frequently benched in the 3rd periods.

But sure... he was a 4/5D. :sarcasm:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
No they wouldn't. If they had 4m in cap space, it would be a waste to put Sekera onto LTIR, as he only gives Edmonton cap space to exceed the cap by the amount that that contract puts them over the cap. So if Edmonton was 4m under the cap, it would be an utter waste to put Sekera onto LTIR, as that would only gain Edmonton 1.5m in cap space. Which means prior to putting him onto LTIR, Edmonton needs to be right up against the cap to gain maximum cap space.... and the only way that's going to happen is if they acquire another D to fill Sekera's role/spot or if they sign Nurse.

It doesn't matter when they sign or put someone on LTIR.

Team puts Sekera on LTIR. 1 mil over cap. They can still access the extra 4.5 because of the LTIR.

Not sure where you people are getting these things from.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There are always reasons why a player is traded. For Faulk, it might be as simple as Carolina's owners (or GM) not wanting to pay his salary for a bottom pair defenseman. Cap reasons come into play too sometimes.

Again they just gave him A.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I wonder if the Oilers would be better off targeting TVR instead of Faulk?
Yes, because the Oilers only want to pay TVR value for a player, not Faulk value. Yes, because TVR has a salary that fits with Edmonton's AND Carolina's cap situations after the trade. Yes, because TVR has no trade exclusions and Faulk wouldn't waive his modified NTC to go to a worse team than he's already on.

Reactions: McOvechking

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes, because the Oilers only want to pay TVR value for a player, not Faulk value. Yes, because TVR has a salary that fits with Edmonton's AND Carolina's cap situations after the trade. Yes, because TVR has no trade exclusions and Faulk wouldn't waive his modified NTC to go to a worse team than he's already on.
Faulk would probably waive to go on Edmonton. He'd be the go-to weapon on the back end here, and would set up his next contract very nicely. We also aren't that far off from being a playoff team (although I think the same of the Hurricanes). Some offense from the back end might be the missing ingredient.

But I agree that a 2nd and Kassian points more to TVR. Faulk has two years and has skills in demand. But maybe the Oilers are just giving an intro offer and it would improve a bit.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Oilers are the train-wreck the entire league doesn't want to watch but has to keep looking at because it's so fascinating...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad