Rumor: Oilers will make move for veteran Dman when Sekera goes on IR

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge
Maybe Lucic is the next Burns/Byfuglien.
Without the defensive awareness, of course.

At this point, moving depth forwards to defense might be their best bet.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There are always reasons why a player is traded. For Faulk, it might be as simple as Carolina's owners (or GM) not wanting to pay his salary for a bottom pair defenseman. Cap reasons come into play too sometimes.

I’ve seen this talking point used by many and it’s misguided. Carolina only has 4 forwards making over $2 mil next season with just one above $4 mil. $6 mil on the bottom pairing fits Carolina’s salary structure just fine in that context. The increase in the opening night payroll from last year to this year with Faulk will be less than the increase in the floor.

If you want to make the argument for finances being a motivation, you're better off with a Dundon is cheap talking point. Given what occurred during the GM and HC search, you can’t rule out him wanting to spend the bare minimum on payroll he possibly can. I wouldn't bank on that, though.

I’m skeptical about this rumor. So many stars have to align for Edmonton to get Faulk on the cheap:

1. Carolina would need to be willing to accept weak value for whatever reason
2. The market would need to be so weak that Edmonton’s offer is the best offer
3. Faulk would need be willing to waive his NTC to go to Edmonton

Reactions: MinJaBen

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I’ve seen this talking point used by many and it’s misguided. Carolina only has 4 forwards making over $2 mil next season with just one above $4 mil. $6 mil on the bottom pairing fits Carolina’s salary structure just fine in that context. The increase in the opening night payroll from last year to this year with Faulk will be less than the increase in the floor.

If you want to make the argument for finances being a motivation, you're better off with a Dundon is cheap talking point. Given what occurred during the GM and HC search, you can’t rule out him wanting to spend the bare minimum on payroll he possibly can. I wouldn't bank on that, though.

I’m skeptical about this rumor. So many stars have to align for Edmonton to get Faulk on the cheap:

1. Carolina would need to be willing to accept weak value for whatever reason
2. The market would need to be so weak that Edmonton’s offer is the best offer
3. Faulk would need be willing to waive his NTC to go to Edmonton

It wasn't a talking point, it's merely an example of a possible scenario. I never claimed to know if or why Carolina is/isn't/could be trading Faulk anyway, all I said was that there is always a reason why guys get traded for "below market value" and an excuse as to why those don't apply to your specific player...until it does.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Carolina might not be getting the offers they desired and just want to get his salary off the books at this point.

The real dollars are higher than the caphit and the owner is looking to cut costs so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they treat him as a glorified salary dump or maybe they don't want a $4M+ player on their 3rd pairing. I don't know, just spitballing.

There are always reasons why a player is traded. For Faulk, it might be as simple as Carolina's owners (or GM) not wanting to pay his salary for a bottom pair defenseman. Cap reasons come into play too sometimes.

Carolina sits $18 million below the cap and only about $2 million above the floor. There are not cap issues. The real money argument would have held more weight during the Karmanos years. Despite the GM/HC search, Dundon has been investing in the team, investing in facilities (new locker room, upgraded practice facilities), and even is adding scouting staff. This isn't a guy who's being cheap, this is a guy who's targeting his spending to areas the Canes have sorely lacked over the years. Justin Faulk's salary and cap hit, no matter where he slots into the line up, isn't an issue for the team now or even into the mid-term future.

Reactions: Unsustainable

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Ok but when does the value come to Montreal in that deal ?

Schlemko or Benn for a 4th, ke 5th.

Or Alzner....
You ask where the value comes to Montreal and then you list a no value trade from Montreal?

We're not really interested in more 4th or 5th rounders... We'll keep all of those dmen, they help the tank.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You ask where the value comes to Montreal and then you list a no value trade from Montreal?

We're not really interested in more 4th or 5th rounders... We'll keep all of those dmen, they help the tank.

Getting rid of Schlemko or Benn helps with the tank.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Speak for yourself. I'd love to see Bieksa on the Oilers.
_S0pY5.gif

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Did Dubas bungle up with Nylander too?

Yeah, I've changed my mind on that. It seems Nurse is the one being difficult, if the rumors are true, so it is what it is. Only so much Chia should be expected to bend to his demands, and his demands seem a bit much (again, according to rumors).

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
without scrolling through, do you think they'll just plunder other team's "tryout" lists and call it a day?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
without scrolling through, do you think they'll just plunder other team's "tryout" lists and call it a day?

I doubt it. I think the Oilers are satisfied enough with their current young crop of rookies they can move a 2nd rounder and some additional pieces to pick up a serviceable #4.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Ottawa wants to shed more cap space... Cody Ceci, come on down! You're the next contestant on FIRE SALE!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad