Rumor: Oilers will make move for veteran Dman when Sekera goes on IR

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Dustin Nielson‏ @nielsonTSN1260 10h10 hours ago
There has been some buzz that the Oilers will make a move for a veteran dman when Sekera goes on the LTIR. Not a sure thing but I've been told they are seriously looking at that option.

On his show this morning he said the acquisition cost would be a veteran forward + 2nd.
Went on to mention Kassian as a prime suspect heading out.

Also mentioned Faulk as a primary target but who else would be available out there?

And can anyone shed some light on how long they need to wait to utilize the IR? Does it absolutely HAVE to be once the season has started? Or can they juggle some ELCs around with paper transactions or something to be compliant instead?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So, can someone with good knowledge of how the LTIR system works tell me this...

Would the LTIR benefit not be greater for the Oilers if they added a player BEFORE Andrej Sekera gets placed on LTIR? This is assuming Darnell Nurse remains unsigned.

The Oilers currently have $3.975m in cap space available.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Dustin Nielson‏ @nielsonTSN1260 10h10 hours ago
There has been some buzz that the Oilers will make a move for a veteran dman when Sekera goes on the LTIR. Not a sure thing but I've been told they are seriously looking at that option.

On his show this morning he said the acquisition cost would be a veteran forward + 2nd.
Went on to mention Kassian as a prime suspect heading out.

Also mentioned Faulk as a primary target but who else would be available out there?

And can anyone shed some light on how long they need to wait to utilize the IR? Does it absolutely HAVE to be once the season has started? Or can they juggle some ELCs around with paper transactions or something to be compliant instead?

That shouldn't get anywhere close to Faulk and they just gave him the A.

Reactions: Unsustainable

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Canes have no need for a player like Kassian. Prob need Faulk to rebound significantly to net a JP or RNH. The only other vet fwd I could see CAR being interested in would be Strome, especially since Rask went under the knife.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Cap space works so that you only get a benefit of however much you can go over all at once.
So you would need to acquire the guy and make the trade official at nearly the same time.

I was thinking something around Gardiner could be interesting but I'm not sure what goes back the other way.

Kassian is someone I'd love to be on the Leafs 4th line as I still think as he matures mentally his game will become less boneheaded.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Cap space works so that you only get a benefit of however much you can go over all at once.
So you would need to acquire the guy and make the trade official at nearly the same time.

I was thinking something around Gardiner could be interesting but I'm not sure what goes back the other way.

Kassian is someone I'd love to be on the Leafs 4th line as I still think as he matures mentally his game will become less boneheaded.
Kassian has always had the skating and skill set to be more than a 4th liner but has struggled with consistancy..

Some games he comes out and hits everything that moves and gets 2 breakaways (usually stick handles the puck into the corner on the breakaway but still) while other games he can be found sleeping on the end of the bench..

If he can figure out how to bring it every night he would be easily a 3rd liner.

He was a huge reason why Edmonton won that playoff game against SJ where he ran over Couture and a bunch of other sharks while scoring a goal in the same game.

Reactions: TML1967

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That shouldn't get anywhere close to Faulk and they just gave him the A.

I wouldn't think so either but who would have ever imagined that the premier Dman in the league would have gone for as little as he did?
Carolina might not be getting the offers they desired and just want to get his salary off the books at this point. Seems crazy that they couldn't get at least some value for him but crazier things have happened (like yesterday).

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Faulk was just named Alternate captain, I don't see the canes moving him but stranger things have happened I guess.

Not only trading him, but effectively giving him away.

Why even bother going through that song and dance, or even bringing him to camp, if they're willing to trade him off for that type of return?

Reactions: MinJaBen

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
TVR might be available for Kassian + 2nd. I'd expect Faulk to pull in more.

Faulk has been practicing with De Haan in camp alluding to a De Haan - Faulk 2nd pairing this season.

I wouldn't think so either but who would have ever imagined that the premier Dman in the league would have gone for as little as he did.
Carolina might not be getting the offers they desired and just want to get his salary off the books at this point. Seems crazy that they couldn't get at least some value for him but crazier things have happened (like yesterday).

Carolina is sitting on the Cap Floor. They actually can't just get his salary off the books. They are spending just about as little money as they possibly can. As much as Edmonton fans want to believe they are going to get a similar steal as SJ just got, this won't be the reason.

More importantly, Faulk has a 16 team NTC. He isn't waiving for Edmonton.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Kassian has always had the skating and skill set to be more than a 4th liner but has struggled with consistancy..

Some games he comes out and hits everything that moves and gets 2 breakaways (usually stick handles the puck into the corner on the breakaway but still) while other games he can be found sleeping on the end of the bench..

If he can figure out how to bring it every night he would be easily a 3rd liner.

He was a huge reason why Edmonton won that playoff game against SJ where he ran over Couture and a bunch of other sharks while scoring a goal in the same game.
He had the issue in junior where he only really played his best in big games.
I got to see him as a Spit and in our biggest games he would run through multiple guys in the corner for the biscuit.

That's why I said if he can mature a bit between the ears he would be a perfect 4th liner.
At 27 he won't be able to raise his play much hut if he can get rid of his off nights he could be a great get for a playoff team.

In the playoffs having him with Kadri and a Leivo type who can also bang would be fun to watch.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wouldn't think so either but who would have ever imagined that the premier Dman in the league would have gone for as little as he did?

But again they just gave him A.

Carolina isn't the biggest mess there is, Faulk has 2 years left and Carolina is 18M under cap ceiling.

Faulk has been practicing with De Haan in camp alluding to a De Haan - Faulk 2nd pairing this season.

You mean 3rd?

Both Pesce& Hamilton should play ahead of him.

Reactions: Unsustainable

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Carolina is sitting on the Cap Floor. They actually can't just get his salary off the books. As much as Edmonton fans want to believe they are going to get a similar steal as SJ just got, this won't be the reason.

The real dollars are higher than the caphit and the owner is looking to cut costs so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they treat him as a glorified salary dump or maybe they don't want a $4M+ player on their 3rd pairing. I don't know, just spitballing.

With that said, I don't expect them to give him away but who knows really? NHL GMs surprise us with stupidity all the time, the GM of my team being at the top of that list.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The real dollars are higher than the caphit and the owner is looking to cut costs so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they treat him as a glorified salary dump or maybe they don't want a $4M+ player on their 3rd pairing. I don't know, just spitballing.

With that said, I don't expect them to give him away but who knows really? NHL GMs surprise us with stupidity all the time, the GM of my team being at the top of that list.

Well then let us err on the side of caution and predict Faulk for RNH.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
People on HF always over value their p,ayers, Karlsson just got Traded and remember what fans were saying Karlsson would get in a trade. So when posting remember that. I would take Gardiner in a heRt beat but I can’t see TO moving home and if they do I would love seeing him moving the puck up to McD.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Faulk on paper is almost too good of a fit on the Oil, Canes won't give him for cheap and im not sure if they have the type of assets they can afford to give up/that Canes want.

Best just to be patient if you're Edmonton in my opinion. Core is young and ELC's have already been burned. Now it's just about surrounding that core with good players (with limited cap space) i.e. draft well. They're in no rush to waste assets just to improve the team to the point where it's likely still not enough to get them over the hump.

Not to mention Carolina seemed to pick him to be part of the leadership group with Williams and Staal. And the M-NTC. So as much as it makes sense for the current Edmonton team, there's a lot of things that make me think Faulk to Oil won't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad