Rumor: Oilers will make move for veteran Dman when Sekera goes on IR

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Yeah Get back to me in 20 years when he's retired with zero Norrises and Philly still has done nothing. :laugh:

Maybe in 20 years Oilers will make the playoffs again, once every 10 years will keep the fans drinking kool-aid...worst ranked sports franchise in North America is quite an accomplishment.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Maybe in 20 years Oilers will make the playoffs again, once every 10 years will keep the fans drinking kool-aid...worst ranked sports franchise in North America is quite an accomplishment.

They only beat the Flyers in the finals twice, and the Flyers will never be back so you'll be doing a lot more crying. :laugh:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It doesn't matter when they sign or put someone on LTIR.

Team puts Sekera on LTIR. 1 mil over cap. They can still access the extra 4.5 because of the LTIR.

Not sure where you people are getting these things from.

You keep telling everyone they are wrong and saying the same thing. I posted the exact wording from the CBA as you asked but you seem to want to ignore it. It does indeed matter when they put a player on LTIR!!!!!!!!!!!

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You keep telling everyone they are wrong and saying the same thing. I posted the exact wording from the CBA as you asked but you seem to want to ignore it. It does indeed matter when they put a player on LTIR!!!!!!!!!!!

I am saying that SEKERA is an exemption to the rule. It is you who is completely ignoring it.

Your quote has nothing to do with what I wrote. I also told you that I wasn't downloading the file on to this comp. If you want to post the pages then maybe something in there will prove me wrong. So far it hasn't.

Due to Sekera's exemption he can be put on LTIR in the offseason. This is where the 10% comes in to play.

He doesn't have to wait. He can be moved to regular season LTIR without penalty.

You have shown me nothing to prove otherwise.

Show me where it says off season LTIR can be moved to regular season LTIR only with a cap penalty.

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days."

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed."

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I am saying that SEKERA is an exemption to the rule. It is you who is completely ignoring it.

Your quote has nothing to do with what I wrote. I also told you that I wasn't downloading the file on to this comp. If you want to post the pages then maybe something in there will prove me wrong. So far it hasn't.

Due to Sekera's exemption he can be put on LTIR in the offseason. This is where the 10% comes in to play.

He doesn't have to wait. He can be moved to regular season LTIR without penalty.

You have shown me nothing to prove otherwise.

Show me where it says off season LTIR can be moved to regular season LTIR only with a cap penalty.

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days."

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed."

This issue is not that he can't go on the LTIR out of season. The scenario you objected to clearly stated that what would happen if he was placed on LTIR on the last day of camp with the team over the cap. So that means he most definitely can be placed on LTIR out of season. The point is that this decision has consequences which I outlined. Timing matters with LTIR despite your claims otherwise. To back up my claim I specifically posted an example directly from the CBA that clearly contradicted your claim. This is what you seem to say is wrong without any evidence to back up your own position other than a quote from Cap Friendly that does not address the manner at hand. There was no discussion of moving a player from offseason to in season LTIR with a penalty so I have no idea where that came from.

In summary, I posted the specific example from the CBA that refutes your claim as you asked me to. I am not going to post 4 pages of the CBA on this site. If you don't want to read them even though you asked for them so be it.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
This issue is not that he can't go on the LTIR out of season. The scenario you objected to clearly stated that what would happen if he was placed on LTIR on the last day of camp with the team over the cap. So that means he most definitely can be placed on LTIR out of season. The point is that this decision has consequences which I outlined. Timing matters with LTIR despite your claims otherwise. To back up my claim I specifically posted an example directly from the CBA that clearly contradicted your claim. This is what you seem to say is wrong without any evidence to back up your own position other than a quote from Cap Friendly that does not address the manner at hand. There was no discussion of moving a player from offseason to in season LTIR with a penalty so I have no idea where that came from.

In summary, I posted the specific example from the CBA that refutes your claim as you asked me to. I am not going to post 4 pages of the CBA on this site. If you don't want to read them even though you asked for them so be it.

Huh? Clearly contradicts? Perhaps read my next post. I think we have a posting misunderstanding here.

here it is.

Thanks.

"A Club may then exceed the Upper Limit due to the addition of replacement Player Salary and Bonuses of Players who have replaced an unfit-to-play Player, provided, however, that when the unfitto-play Player is once again fit to play (including any period such Player is on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan to another league), the Club shall be required to once again reduce its Averaged Club Salary to a level at or below the Upper Limit prior to the Player being able to rejoin the Club."

Sekera will be unfit to play for the first 10 games/ 24 days at the start of the season.

That's why the Oilers don't have to wait.

"In the event that a Player on a Club becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club's physician believes, in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, and such Club desires to replace such Player, the Club may add an additional Player or Players to its Active Roster, and the replacement Player Salary and Bonuses of such additional Player(s) may increase the Club's Averaged Club Salary to an amount up to and exceeding the Upper Limit, solely as, and to the extent and for the duration, set forth below. If, however, the League wishes to challenge the determination of a Club physician that a Player is unfit to play for purposes of the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception, the League and the NHLPA shall promptly confer and jointly select a neutral physician, who shall review the Club physician's determination regarding the Player's fitness to play."

The Oil can safely go over the 10% if it is just the amount of Sekera's contract.

My point was that the Oilers don't have to wait to make a trade.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Huh? Clearly contradicts? Perhaps read my next post. I think we have a posting misunderstanding here.

here it is.

Thanks.

"A Club may then exceed the Upper Limit due to the addition of replacement Player Salary and Bonuses of Players who have replaced an unfit-to-play Player, provided, however, that when the unfitto-play Player is once again fit to play (including any period such Player is on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan to another league), the Club shall be required to once again reduce its Averaged Club Salary to a level at or below the Upper Limit prior to the Player being able to rejoin the Club."

Sekera will be unfit to play for the first 10 games/ 24 days at the start of the season.

That's why the Oilers don't have to wait.

"In the event that a Player on a Club becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club's physician believes, in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular Season games, and such Club desires to replace such Player, the Club may add an additional Player or Players to its Active Roster, and the replacement Player Salary and Bonuses of such additional Player(s) may increase the Club's Averaged Club Salary to an amount up to and exceeding the Upper Limit, solely as, and to the extent and for the duration, set forth below. If, however, the League wishes to challenge the determination of a Club physician that a Player is unfit to play for purposes of the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception, the League and the NHLPA shall promptly confer and jointly select a neutral physician, who shall review the Club physician's determination regarding the Player's fitness to play."

The Oil can safely go over the 10% if it is just the amount of Sekera's contract.

My point was that the Oilers don't have to wait to make a trade.

I never said they had to wait to make a trade. I gave two scenarios showing the difference between them making the trade and then putting him on LTIR before the camp is over and what happens if they put him on LTIR on the opening day and then they replace his salary. You stated I was wrong in claiming that there is a difference in these two cases in terms of how LTIR plays out. It is this difference that most people are referencing that you claim are wrong in their posts.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The D man will need to be on only a 2 year deal max and making 3 mill a year max
Sounds like TvR would be about perfect for you guys then. He's signed for $2M x 2 years. If we've decided to play Faulk behind Hamilton and Pesce, this works for us for the next two years and makes room for Fox when Faulk moves on. TvR moves the puck reasonably well and is a 4/5 caliber defenseman. Probably worth a 2nd plus a B-level prospect.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I never said they had to wait to make a trade. I gave two scenarios showing the difference between them making the trade and then putting him on LTIR before the camp is over and what happens if they put him on LTIR on the opening day and then they replace his salary. You stated I was wrong in claiming that there is a difference in these two cases in terms of how LTIR plays out. It is this difference that most people are referencing that you claim are wrong in their posts.

The people I was replying to (as well as media pundits) stated the Oilers had to wait until the first day of the season to put Sekera on LTIR. Then they could trade for a dman.

I told them that this was not true. The Oilers could sign Nurse and trade for a dman today as long as they did not go 5.5 mil over the cap.

Pretty basic stuff.

Perhaps I was in a hurry and got a little off topic which brought your reply it seems about timing. I probably worded it wrong.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It doesn't matter when they sign or put someone on LTIR.

Team puts Sekera on LTIR. 1 mil over cap. They can still access the extra 4.5 because of the LTIR.

Not sure where you people are getting these things from.

Pretty certain that you do not get to keep changing the LTIR numbers - which is why GMs try to get as close to the cap as possible before putting someone on LTIR. Maybe @mouser can clarify.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The people I was replying to (as well as media pundits) stated the Oilers had to wait until the first day of the season to put Sekera on LTIR. Then they could trade for a dman.

I told them that this was not true. The Oilers could sign Nurse and trade for a dman today as long as they did not go 5.5 mil over the cap.

Pretty basic stuff.

Perhaps I was in a hurry and got a little off topic which brought your reply it seems about timing. I probably worded it wrong.

Ok!

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Are there any actual rumors about whom the Oilers would be acquiring?
Faulk is the name being thrown out there a lot. Barrie's been one that the Oilers have wanted for a long time although the price would be too high for him. Maybe Gardiner, Goligoski, outside chance on Petry.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Faulk is the name being thrown out there a lot. Barrie's been one that the Oilers have wanted for a long time although the price would be too high for him. Maybe Gardiner, Goligoski, outside chance on Petry.
What is the source on these names? Or is it just blind fan speculation? That seems like a very very unlikely list. I can't see Barrie being available, that would leave a big hole in the Avs blueline. Same goes for Gadiner, like him or not, he does have value to the Leafs unless they acquire another defenseman. Arizona is clearly trying to be improved this year, so moving Goligoski, especially to a division rival makes zero sense. With the Habs rebuilding, he's the only one that makes a lick of sense other than Faulk.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
What is the source on these names? Or is it just blind fan speculation? That seems like a very very unlikely list. I can't see Barrie being available, that would leave a big hole in the Avs blueline. Same goes for Gadiner, like him or not, he does have value to the Leafs unless they acquire another defenseman. Arizona is clearly trying to be improved this year, so moving Goligoski, especially to a division rival makes zero sense. With the Habs rebuilding, he's the only one that makes a lick of sense other than Faulk.
Those were names that have been linked to us in the past/given out by some insiders/fan speculation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Those were names that have been linked to us in the past/given out by some insiders/fan speculation.
Fair enough, I'm not sure past names are really relevant at this point in time as teams wouldn't have time to replace the lost players and teams rarely start tanking this early. Honestly Faulk is the only name that really makes sense since his name seems to still seems to be out there on the market and the Canes would be dealing from a position of strength. Even then, it only makes sense for them IMO if someone like Nuge is going the other way... and I'm not sure if that is a good ideal for you guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad