Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Wings. It's time for a haircut and lose the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Do they though? I'm pretty sure that thread where it was said we have to 2/3 of our games jinxed the rest of the field. Right now the playoff cut line in the Pacific looks like it'll be a good 4-5 points less than originally predicted.

Yup, I think 94 points will put them fairly comfortably in 3rd

Reactions: Cloned

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I don't recall McDavid giving Mike Smith the praise he has toward Koski , And Koskinen has been great since McDavid went to bat for him. Also thumbs down on the new interdisgrace

Reactions: RattsSSV

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I mean, they don’t actually have to win them, but in theory winning these games against easier teams would make sense. But the Oilers have been winning against good teams instead for whatever reason.

I think they need to win 2 out of 3 to be in a fair spot to make the playoffs, bare minimum would be getting 3 out of 6 points as long as they continue to win against good teams.
Yeah for sure, using my guess of only 8 losses I didn’t want to waste any of them on those 3 teams but if they want to lose these next week and beat Colorado 3x, I’m ok with it…haha.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Do they though? I'm pretty sure that thread where it was said we have to 2/3 of our games jinxed the rest of the field. Right now the playoff cut line in the Pacific looks like it'll be a good 4-5 points less than originally predicted.
Hopefully it’s less points needed but to be safe, I’m thinking 8 losses. All it takes is a few winning streaks to change those percentages.

Reactions: Cloned

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Yeah for sure, using my guess of only 8 losses I didn’t want to waste any of them on those 3 teams but if they want to lose these next week and beat Colorado 3x, I’m ok with it…haha.

I’d like them to win tomorrow but I won’t really be too worried if they don’t given how this season has gone. If let’s say, they didn’t win against Tampa (let alone dominate them) but won against the Habs instead, I’d be annoyed.

It would be nice for them to win all 3 but I have a feeling that won’t happen and it’ll be 2 of 3, which is okay

Reactions: Faelko

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Don't worry about Mike Smith's contract. Just worry if he's playing games. There is always LTIR.

I'm confident that Smith wanted more money on a one year deal and GMKH convinced him to take a "retirement package" type deal. Play one year and see how it goes, if you can't play to the level we expect, you sit on LTIR and get paid. There is really no downside because we knew that Klefbom would keep us in LTIR all season anyway.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Don't worry about Mike Smith's contract. Just worry if he's playing games. There is always LTIR.

I'm confident that Smith wanted more money on a one year deal and GMKH convinced him to take a "retirement package" type deal. Play one year and see how it goes, if you can't play to the level we expect, you sit on LTIR and get paid. There is really no downside because we knew that Klefbom would keep us in LTIR all season anyway.
I doubt Holland is that smart or smith is that self aware.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Just looked at the rest of the team's schedule. Looks a bit hellish tbh. Difficult matchups till the end of the season. Only 5 left from the east including the 3 this week. The other two are Columbus and Pittsburgh (Away). Rest are divisional or conference opponents. All are in the hunt right now except for San Jose and Arizona.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Just looked at the rest of the team's schedule. Looks a bit hellish tbh. Difficult matchups till the end of the season. Only 5 left from the east including the 3 this week. The other two are Columbus and Pittsburgh (Away). Rest are divisional or conference opponents. All are in the hunt right now except for San Jose and Arizona.

They hardly win against the East, so maybe it's a good thing they don't really play them the rest of the season. They've also owned the Pacific

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

The line for 100% certainty is dropping as it was once at 104, but it's at 100. Practically speaking few believed it would stay that high. Getting in with 97 points is now about 98%, so I think it's a good target (14-8-1). Percentages drop pretty quickly once below 95 points.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I mean, they don’t actually have to win them, but in theory winning these games against easier teams would make sense. But the Oilers have been winning against good teams instead for whatever reason.

I think they need to win 2 out of 3 to be in a fair spot to make the playoffs, bare minimum would be getting 3 out of 6 points as long as they continue to win against good teams.

I remember the chatter was get 4 out of 5 going into the deadline after Calgary if we want set up for a real chance for a run. So getting the two wins vs. the better of the teams gives a little bit of room if one game gets out of hand. But definitely there's a nice opportunity that getting these three games sets them up for a real shot at playoffs even with something as low as 10-9-1 in the final 20. 11-8-1 would be a virtual lock.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The line for 100% certainty is dropping as it was once at 104, but it's at 100. Practically speaking few believed it would stay that high. Getting in with 97 points is now about 98%, so I think it's a good target (14-8-1). Percentages drop pretty quickly once below 95 points.
14-8-1 is still too high now imo.

To put that in perspective it would mean Vegas would have to get 30 points in 21 games to beat us. That’s 15-6, which is .714 hockey and unlikely given how they’re playing. Vancouver would have to get 33 points in 22 games, which is something like 16-5-1.

To put it another way, if either of those teams actually pull that off they probably deserve to make it over the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad