Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Wings. It's time for a haircut and lose the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Get the good vibes going baby! Let's f***ing go boys!

Attachments

• 1373160284_90844738-1.jpg
    1373160284_90844738-1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 330-3309498_momos-momo-yaoming-memes-meme-laughing-man-meme.png
    330-3309498_momos-momo-yaoming-memes-meme-laughing-man-meme.png
    218 KB · Views: 4

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ah crap. Just looked at Detroit's record in Canada (ie. without Bertuzzi). 0-4 being outscored 17-5 (including back to back 3-0 shutouts in the last two). They've also lost 5 straight overall by a combined score of 27-10.

They've allowed 91 goals in their last 19 game (4.79 GAA). They've allowed 7 or more goals 7 times this year (5 times in the last 16 games). 5 or more goals against 22 times this year (10 times in their last 19 games).

Incoming shutout for Detroit or 6-5OTL with Smith "battling to earn the point" with 21 saves. We're doomed.

Despite allowing 5 or more goals 22 times this year, their goalies have only been credited with 10 RBS (Really bad starts... less than 85%). Considering that 7GA almost certainly means an RBS, that means there's only been 3 or so really bad starts where the other team score 5 or 6 (which has happened 15 times)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We basically have to at some point. Koskinen has played well in the past but the pattern is that he declines sharply with too much workload. I'd rather it be Skinner or better yet a goalie by trade but we need to play our back up. Maybe not this game but soon. It might as well be this one

What needs to happen is Smith needs to be assigned to Bakersfield on a conditioning stint and if he refuses he can have his contract terminated.

That is what a smart team would do. In Edmonton we don't do that, we risk our entire season by sticking our finger in the electrical socket again and again.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Incoming shutout for Detroit or 6-5OTL with Smith "battling to earn the point" with 21 saves. We're doomed.
Any game with the team getting a point (anyway they can) with Smith in net is a win. :) I think I'd be fist pumping an OTL just so we know the team got a point and can move on to a couple more games sans Smith (hopefully).

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
What needs to happen is Smith needs to be assigned to Bakersfield on a conditioning stint and if he refuses he can have his contract terminated.

That is what a smart team would do. In Edmonton we don't do that, we risk our entire season by sticking our finger in the electrical socket again and again.
Yeah well that would hurt his feelings, and all the old boys look out for Vets like Smith... winning organization be damned.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
And a burned out Koskinen is a guaranteed path to miss the playoffs

Even a burned out Koskinen isn't nearly as bad as Mike Smith has been this season.

I predict Smith will start one of the next 3 games, will not play well or look good, but we still win because the team we are playing sucks or the group had a good night in front of him. Naturally, this will lead to the dumbass conclusion of "look, Smitty is going now!" Then Smith will get another start, he'll blow it, and then we are back to square 1 wondering if Skinner should come up, but we don't really know because these f***ing morons won't give him a look.

Sadly (because it will cost us 2 points), the best thing probably is that Smith blows up again and costs us a game. It's the only way to end this madness. Even a mediocre performance will cause the can to be kicked down the road again.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even a burned out Koskinen isn't nearly as bad as Mike Smith has been this season.

I predict Smith will start one of the next 3 games, will not play well or look good, but we still win because the team we are playing sucks or the group had a good night in front of him. Naturally, this will lead to the dumbass conclusion of "look, Smitty is going now!" Then Smith will get another start, he'll blow it, and then we are back to square 1 wondering if Skinner should come up, but we don't really know because these f***ing morons won't give him a look.
A burned out Koskinen is awful and once he gets that way he's bad for a month. The burned out Koskinen is maybe better than this version of Smith but the non-burned out Koskinen can out duel elite starters. That's what we need.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So why start him tom? Koskinen had what 2 days off and game and now another 2 days off and a game? How much more rested can he be?
He should be playing fewer games than guys like Vasilevsky. Koskinen can be the starter but he needs a 1b, not a buried back up.

No, the amount of rest you are suggesting is not enough. It's the same stuff we heard when Smith was injured. "He looks fine. He had 2 days." Then he got injured. Also the same when it was Koskinen-Skinner last year.

It sucks our GM had our back up situation get to this but it's no excuse to make the same mistake again and again

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'll one up this, if Mike Smith starts another game for this team, they aren't serious about trying to win.
I don't know why they didn't send him down for a conditioning stint after he came back from injury. Could be a "Both parties at fault" kinda thing.

Still, I agree with this sentiment. There's a stubborn pride that this organization utilizes for the most bizarre things. They should just admit that Smith's extension was a mistake.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't know why they didn't send him down for a conditioning stint after he came back from injury. Could be a "Both parties at fault" kinda thing.

Still, I agree with this sentiment. There's a stubborn pride that this organization utilizes for the most bizarre things. They should just admit that Smith's extension was a mistake.
According to the "that" Oilers rumour account on Twitter, he refused a condition stint, which to me is when you lean on him as an organization, because you need the best interest of the entire team, not one grumpy old asshole.

Honestly no reason to not to believe it's true.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
According to the "that" Oilers rumour account on Twitter, he refused a condition stint, which to me is when you lean on him as an organization, because you need the best interest of the entire team, not one grumpy old asshole.

Honestly no reason to not to believe it's true.

Honestly can we just pay the third or whatever for Jones already? Although the deadline is a stone's throw away so I guess either way we should get our answer soon

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He should be playing fewer games than guys like Vasilevsky. Koskinen can be the starter but he needs a 1b, not a buried back up.

No, the amount of rest you are suggesting is not enough. It's the same stuff we heard when Smith was injured. "He looks fine. He had 2 days." Then he got injured. Also the same when it was Koskinen-Skinner last year.

It sucks our GM had our back up situation get to this but it's no excuse to make the same mistake again and again
Smith is 800 years old and I’m sorry Koskinen has to play a significant amount of games because SMITH is a liability in net. If we get another even average goalie then I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce