Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Wings. It's time for a haircut and lose the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm fine with any answer at this point. Koskinen looks like he can be our starter so it's a Smith replacement we are looking for. It shouldnt be difficult
That's where my mind is at. Koskinen-Skinner-Anderson should be good enough to give the Oilers a chance to win each night. They will get out goaltended at times, sure, but a decent chance to win every night would be a positive step forward.

If they can get "an answer" in goal, go do that, but if not, that 3some would be the best bet imo.

Reactions: Mr Positive

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
According to the "that" Oilers rumour account on Twitter, he refused a condition stint, which to me is when you lean on him as an organization, because you need the best interest of the entire team, not one grumpy old asshole.

Honestly no reason to not to believe it's true.

I read this as well and my first thoughts were... good. Then just send him down outright and hopefully he refuses to report and you can terminate the contract.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
According to the "that" Oilers rumour account on Twitter, he refused a condition stint, which to me is when you lean on him as an organization, because you need the best interest of the entire team, not one grumpy old asshole.

I fully believe this is the case. He seems to get a lot of slack around the org for... whatever reason. I've heard stories from his days in Calgary and they aren't pleasant.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I read this as well and my first thoughts were... good. Then just send him down outright and hopefully he refuses to report and you can terminate the contract.
That's basically what I was implying with the organization leaning on him. It's also the Organization being too scared of Skinner not working out, to see Smith NOT WORKING OUT lol

Reactions: bone

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Other than that being a completely unreliable twitter account that has never called anything correctly.

I get that Mike Smith has been bad this season, but it was only a month ago that people would've called a Koskinen start an auto-loss. Neither of these guys are sure-fire 1A goaltenders, they could easily switch roles a month from now. I'm a Koskinen fan personally, so would be really satisfied if he ran with the job the rest of the season, but Mike Smith could easily go a month at .920 just like he did last season, both of these guys are inconsistent.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Other than that being a completely unreliable twitter account that has never called anything correctly.

I get that Mike Smith has been bad this season, but it was only a month ago that people would've called a Koskinen start an auto-loss. Neither of these guys are sure-fire 1A goaltenders, they could easily switch roles a month from now. I'm a Koskinen fan personally, so would be really satisfied if he ran with the job the rest of the season, but Mike Smith could easily go a month at .920 just like he did last season, both of these guys are inconsistent.
Smith Should never start another game for this team. I don't care what he did last year, he's old, hurt and bad this year. Koskinen, for his faults, has just won a ton this year under both coaches, and Skinner has fully outplayed Smith.

Again, I absolutely believe they said they were going to send him down on a conditioning stint and he demonstrably stated no.

Edit: This team owes Smith NOTHING.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I think the best worst option might be to ride Koskinen until he breaks (assuming they continue to refuse to play Skinner).

Playing Smith in any game is playing with fire. We may as well get what we can out of Koskinen until (if) his play falls off to a level that diminishes the overall risk of playing Smith. Maybe in the interim he can get himself in shape, work on his game, and learn how to stop acting like a petulant child.

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015

Sounds like Woody uses the Corski's and Fenski's (around the 6:15 mark of the vid).

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

A month ago (or thereabouts) Tippet was still the coach with a different system.

In fairness to Koskinen, his record and overall gameplay since WOODY took over may be a better reflection of how he is capable of playing rather than early season or last year's stats.

He is still not great as he tends to let in a few leaky goals, but he is a better goalie with the WOODY system over the TIPPETT system.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Smith Should never start another game for this team. I don't care what he did last year, he's old, hurt and bad this year. Koskinen, for his faults, has just won a ton this year under both coaches, and Skinner has fully outplayed Smith.

Again, I absolutely believe they said they were going to send him down on a conditioning stint and he demonstrably stated no.

Edit: This team owes Smith NOTHING.
Really should've moved on from him in the offseason. Had every opportunity to.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Holland should have actually done something, instead of the less then nothing that he did. He's even been handed a get out jail free card(Skinner), but he's too afraid to us it.
There's just too many dinosaurs in the Oilers org that think their way is the right way no matter how many times they've been proven wrong.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Giving him 2 years was the dumbass move. Literally nobody was gonna give him multiple years at his age just like no one was giving turris multiple years but the idiot did it anyways

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I fully believe this is the case. He seems to get a lot of slack around the org for... whatever reason. I've heard stories from his days in Calgary and they aren't pleasant.
He might start a Twitter war and divulge secrets like Lehner if he's not given his way...

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
They absolutely have to win these next 3 games. If they want to finish 2 or 3 I figure they can only lose 8 more games in regulation.

14-8-1

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Giving him 2 years was the dumbass move. Literally nobody was gonna give him multiple years at his age just like no one was giving turris multiple years but the idiot did it anyways
My theory is that when they struck out getting another goalie, Smith had them over a barrel and asked for something in that 4M territory. Holland not having the cap space split it up over 2 years to get the cap hit down thinking he Would be a good backup in year 2 at the 2.2M. I think there’s a real chance that his cap hit next year will be in Dead cap space.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
My theory is that when they struck out getting another goalie, Smith had them over a barrel and asked for something in that 4M territory. Holland not having the cap space split it up over 2 years to get the cap hit down thinking he Would be a good backup in year 2 at the 2.2M. I think there’s a real chance that his cap hit next year will be in Dead cap space.
Should have told Smith to duck off.

Reactions: Faelko

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They absolutely have to win these next 3 games. If they want to finish 2 or 3 I figure they can only lose 8 more games in regulation.

14-8-1
Do they though? I'm pretty sure that thread where it was said we have to 2/3 of our games jinxed the rest of the field. Right now the playoff cut line in the Pacific looks like it'll be a good 4-5 points less than originally predicted.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

14-8-1

I mean, they don’t actually have to win them, but in theory winning these games against easier teams would make sense. But the Oilers have been winning against good teams instead for whatever reason.

I think they need to win 2 out of 3 to be in a fair spot to make the playoffs, bare minimum would be getting 3 out of 6 points as long as they continue to win against good teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad