Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Leafs Wednesday 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Only speaking for myself, but it’s not eagerness. It’s hoping that it’s not true but acknowledging that there is something really strange with Tippett’s refusal to reunite that line.

Put it another way: not doing the obvious and reuniting that line while your team struggles would ordinarily put your job security at risk as the coach. Unless you’ve been given higher priorities where reuniting that line might actually put your job security at higher risk than not reuniting that line.

Again, I hope it isn’t true.
It could also just be that the coach is a stubborn donkey who isn't as smart as we hope he is.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It could also just be that the coach is a stubborn donkey who isn't as smart as we hope he is.
He reunited McDrai before he reunited DRY. So he’s willing to go back to old combinations...just not this particular combination.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Only speaking for myself, but it’s not eagerness. It’s hoping that it’s not true but acknowledging that there is something really strange with Tippett’s refusal to reunite that line.

Put it another way: not doing the obvious and reuniting that line while your team struggles would ordinarily put your job security at risk as the coach. Unless you’ve been given higher priorities where reuniting that line might actually put your job security at higher risk than not reuniting that line.

Again, I hope it isn’t true.

It's also bizarre that in the last Chicago game he did put that line together when they were behind in the third. Like you're acknowledging that it's a great line and you might even go to it when you really need a goal.

I think it's more likely that Tippett is just really into the idea of pairs throughout the lineup, and he thinks the forwards will get going and they may have two elite lines. But I'm not sure Drai and Yamamoto are a good fit. If we really need to do pairs, I would rather McDavid be paired up with Yamo and Drai with Nuge. I just think Yamo finds openings close to the net more effectively than Nuge, and that works better with McDavid.

Everyone needs to stop deferring to McDavid and Draisaitl so much on offence. Kassian, Kahun, and Yamo need to look for their own shots. There should be a rule for the next few games that if you have the puck inside the dots and a clear path to the net, you have to shoot. Feels like they're always looking for McDavid and Draisaitl, and they want an open net to shoot at for a sure goal rather than looking for rebounds and dirty goals that other teams score.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's also bizarre that in the last Chicago game he did put that line together when they were behind in the third. Like you're acknowledging that it's a great line and you might even go to it when you really need a goal.

I think it's more likely that Tippett is just really into the idea of pairs throughout the lineup, and he thinks the forwards will get going and they may have two elite lines. But I'm not sure Drai and Yamamoto are a good fit. If we really need to do pairs, I would rather McDavid be paired up with Yamo and Drai with Nuge. I just think Yamo finds openings close to the net more effectively than Nuge, and that works better with McDavid.

Everyone needs to stop deferring to McDavid and Draisaitl so much on offence. Kassian, Kahun, and Yamo need to look for their own shots. There should be a rule for the next few games that if you have the puck inside the dots and a clear path to the net, you have to shoot. Feels like they're always looking for McDavid and Draisaitl, and they want an open net to shoot at for a sure goal rather than looking for rebounds and dirty goals that other teams score.
Yeah.

The other bizarre thing is he reunited McDrai in the last Montreal game, so he’s obviously willing to try old combinations. Just not DRY, for some unknown and infuriating reason.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Neal McDavid Shore
RNH Draisatl Yamamoto
Kahun Turris PJ
Archibald Haas Kassian

Nurse Barrie
Russell Bear
Jones Bouchard

Koskinen and pray

Reactions: KlefDown

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My goodness Oiler fans are always so eager to try and do character assassinations on the best players on the team.
It's not eagerness.
It's things not making sense. Media saying half answers like they no more and it not making sense.

It could be something else, Tippett could just be the dumbest coach in the league. Or there is pressure from elsewhere dictating the lines a bit

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As for a prediction, using brain not heart - Koskinen good for 1 bad goal, shorthanded goal against, powerplay goal against, 2 5v5 goals against means the bad guys get 5 and we will get ummmm, cant score 5v5, cant score on the PP, maybe a shorthanded goal if Khaira isnt playing, so 5-0 for the Center Of The Universe.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He reunited McDrai before he reunited DRY. So he’s willing to go back to old combinations...just not this particular combination.
I think back to the Chicago series and how overall mediocre the Oilers were... until they reunited the DRY line. We didn't win but they made the Hawks run around quite a bit and if we had that line to begin with, we probably win or at least take one of the games to OT.

Reactions: McBeastMode

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think back to the Chicago series and how overall mediocre the Oilers were... until they reunited the DRY line. We didn't win but they made the Hawks run around quite a bit and if we had that line to begin with, we probably win or at least take one of the games to OT.
The fact that he only tried it when the season was about to end points to something weird going on

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Which makes it all the more insane that he’s refusing to go back to them now. He’s either the most stubborn coach in the world or there’s something else up.

Reactions: 3IR

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I'm really not one for conspiracy theories, but there is definitely something fishy with not reuniting DRY.

Whether it be a Mcdavid thing, a coaching thing, a GM thing, or whatever it may be, it absolutely stinks and needs to be dealt with immediately.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Stauffer also thinks Nurse is a first pair d because his agent says he is and he’s paid like one.
In this case I think he has reason to believe (i.e. Tippett or someone on the team told him) that the line likely wouldn’t be reunited yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad