GDT: Oilers vs Capitals CHED/SN 1/SNW 8PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not disputing the point but man that EC wildcard race is more like who wants it, nah don't want it, etc. All the teams fighting for a spot are losing a lot of games. Its like locked on 72 pts for awhile.
Yeah for sure.

2 weeks ago Detroit was in the 1st wild card spot and 10 points up on the Islanders.

Now they’ve lost 6 straight, the Islanders have gone and a run and Detroit has themselves on the outside looking in.

An absolute monumental collapse for that team.

Then you got teams like the Pens and Devils who have also just completely flopped and given up.

Somehow the Sabres are back in contention after being trash all year.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Yeah for sure.

2 weeks ago Detroit was in the 1st wild card spot and 10 points up on the Islanders.

Now they’ve lost 6 straight, the Islanders have gone and a run and Detroit has themselves on the outside looking in.

An absolute monumental collapse for that team.

Then you got teams like the Pens and Devils who have also just completely flopped and given up.

Somehow the Sabres are back in contention after being trash all year.
Buffalo will do what they always do and tank when the games get meaningful.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Not disputing the point but man that EC wildcard race is more like who wants it, nah don't want it, etc. All the teams fighting for a spot are losing a lot of games. Its like locked on 72 pts for awhile.

The whole EC is pure dog poop. The only team half decent team is Florida. They'll easily return to the finals again this year. If the WC teams beat themselves up enough, I can even see Florida taking advantage of a beaten up team in the finals and winning it all this year too.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The whole EC is pure dog poop. The only team half decent team is Florida. They'll easily return to the finals again this year. If the WC teams beat themselves up enough, I can even see Florida taking advantage of a beaten up team in the finals and winning it all this year too.
Florida. Boston, NY, Carolina seem like the only quality in the east and we've seen how easily Boston loses to Western Clubs. Carolina seems to always fail in playoffs. NY seems not a consistent team at all, you always wonder about their cohesion.

Florida sure look like the top team but we have playoffs because anything can happen. Florida having gone to the final last year have played a lot of hockey. They could end up hitting fatigue which has clearly happened with vegas and happens to most clubs with the longest playoffs in last season.

Reactions: dssource

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Buffalo will do what they always do and tank when the games get meaningful.

Sabres still aren't even really in the hunt. 5 points behind the last wildcard spot with 16 games remaining, no games in hand on the teams they're chasing, and multiple teams ahead they'll need to outperform. That's a massive hole.

Buffalo will need at least 12 wins the rest of the way just to make it a race. 13 to feel safe about their chances. That's .800 hockey which is not impossible but it's a Presidents Trophy winning points pace.

Reactions: Oilhawks

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
MV5BZDAxYWZlZmUtYTE5Yi00N2YyLWJiODItODVkNGFjOWZhOTk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_.jpg

Looks like a movie @tardigrade81 would watch. I bet they do a split in it.
you could scrub clothes on that dude’s abs. I need to lay off the carbs.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don't have much social media, so I dont know what tonights projected line combinations are.

All I can offer to start off, is this song from Quiet Riot

LETS GO OILERS!!

Line combos

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Would love to see this lineup before the season ends:

Henrique-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-Foegele
Kane-Nuge-Perry
Holloway-Carrick-Janmark

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stetcher
Kulak-Desharnais

Think Henrique would fit ok with McDavid being a high IQ player and good finisher. I know Nuge is more effective on the wing, but I figure he can cover up some of Kane's defensive short comings. 4th line could be a nice energy line. Ceci out of the lineup at all costs, and Nurse finally gets a mobile puck moving partner that he's always desperately needed (similar to when he had Bear, but a much better skating and more polished version of Bear).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sabres still aren't even really in the hunt. 5 points behind the last wildcard spot with 16 games remaining, no games in hand on the teams they're chasing, and multiple teams ahead they'll need to outperform. That's a massive hole.

Buffalo will need at least 12 wins the rest of the way just to make it a race. 13 to feel safe about their chances. That's .800 hockey which is not impossible but it's a Presidents Trophy winning points pace.
I be cheering for them anyway. Respect to how entertaining (if inconsistent) that club is. They kind of remind me of upstart Oilers clubs around 96 just seeming to be on cusp of playoff action and enough verve and enthusiasm to be somewhat dangerous if they got there. Lot of scoring talent on that club.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I be cheering for them anyway. Respect to how entertaining (if inconsistent) that club is. They kind of remind me of upstart Oilers clubs around 96 just seeming to be on cusp of playoff action and enough verve and enthusiasm to be somewhat dangerous if they got there. Lot of scoring talent on that club.

Oh I completely agree. I hope the Sabres pull that off and then win 60 games a year for a decade straight. Those fans deserve it.

I know full well what it's like being stuck trying to root for the leagues longest running joke.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Perry on bottomline again and Brown in top 3? f*** that shit. Did Perry do it again? ;)How could any player be deepsixed below Connor Brown. Its not even fathomable.
I think it's just to add some speed to the 3rd line. Kane-Henrique-Perry was to slow.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think it's just to add some speed to the 3rd line. Kane-Henrique-Perry was to slow.
See it differently and Henrique is not a slow player. I would give this line Ozone starts. They were good with the puck. Better offensively than defensively but its why Henrique is here to play both.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oh I completely agree. I hope the Sabres pull that off and then win 60 games a year for a decade straight. Those fans deserve it.

I know full well what it's like being stuck trying to root for the leagues longest running joke.
Yeah. I really think Buffalo fans are quality. I like how our club was viewed in that game as well. They appreciate good hockey and was one of their few sellouts on the season. Good too that they were treated to a very entertaining game. I know how rare that was in mid 90's here.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
At the very least on behalf of Oilers heritage and history DO NOT let Ovechkin score. This is the one thing I'm asking. A W win would be nice. But stop OV.

Asking for a friend. ;)

Having watched OV in person a few weeks ago, he's definitely lost a step - even flat-out whiffed on his trademark one-timer once or twice - but he is still dangerous. He got one goal straight off the faceoff (which I missed because I was looking at HFOil on my phone when I should've been watching the game :rolleyes:) and got another on a PP rebound.

Granted, both goals came in garbage time against a Devils team that had all but quit. But a 60-minute effort should hold him in check (knock on wood).

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Florida. Boston, NY, Carolina seem like the only quality in the east and we've seen how easily Boston loses to Western Clubs. Carolina seems to always fail in playoffs. NY seems not a consistent team at all, you always wonder about their cohesion.

Florida sure look like the top team but we have playoffs because anything can happen. Florida having gone to the final last year have played a lot of hockey. They could end up hitting fatigue which has clearly happened with vegas and happens to most clubs with the longest playoffs in last season.
Boston is not a threat

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Have to give them credit, there's been like 10 times where I've looked at the standings this year at various points and said "yeah Washington is for sure out" and they keep some how bouncing back into contention for a spot.

Only 3 points out of a wild card with a game in hand, you're right there.
Only because of an epic Red Wings collapse. The Capitals are actually a pretty shitty team, the Oilers should win this comfortably if they play their game which we just never know when that will happen with the Oilers.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Would love to see this lineup before the season ends:

Henrique-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-Foegele
Kane-Nuge-Perry
Holloway-Carrick-Janmark

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stetcher
Kulak-Desharnais

Think Henrique would fit ok with McDavid being a high IQ player and good finisher. I know Nuge is more effective on the wing, but I figure he can cover up some of Kane's defensive short comings. 4th line could be a nice energy line. Ceci out of the lineup at all costs, and Nurse finally gets a mobile puck moving partner that he's always desperately needed (similar to when he had Bear, but a much better skating and more polished version of Bear).
I don't mind it.

Pros:
1. I believe Stetcher is better than Ceci. He is a crappy Spurgeon. Speed/flow should help Nurse
2. Nuge and Kane play well together
3. I like the speed and pace Holloway plays with. Should help this roster

Problems.
1. Connor Brown is going to start playing better and command a spot
2. Holloway isn't very good
3. Is Henrique young enough to ride with Mcdavid? (this is why I can't see it)
4. Is it ok to scratch Ceci because of team dynamics? (seriously)

The one for sure thing is Derek Ryan should not have a spot

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Only because of an epic Red Wings collapse. The Capitals are actually a pretty shitty team, the Oilers should win this comfortably if they play their game which we just never know when that will happen with the Oilers.
The East is also a huge tirefire with maybe 2 or 3 legitimate threats at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad