GDT: Oilers vs Blues 6 PM MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Kosk also made some huge saves to keep the team in the game which is something Talbot hasnt been able to do for over a calendar year. The first two Dallas goals were flukey. One fanned shot attempt and a broken stick shot attempt that went cross ice right to one of their guys. He had no chance on either of those

I'm not arguing that Koskinen hasn't played great, he absolutely has. Nor am I arguing that Talbot's play hasn't been poor, he has. I'm saying no goalie can withstand crappy team defense over time... goalies are the only guys on the team not allowed to make any mistakes. On GOOD teams, everybody plays to that standard, but not this one. It is draining to watch guys make the same mistakes in front of you over and over. All of our last starting goalies have had the same thing happen to them... come in like gangbusters and gradually confidence erodes. Scrivens, Dubnyk, Talbot... and then the fans turn on them.

You guys have the wrong villain.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not arguing that Koskinen hasn't played great, he absolutely has. Nor am I arguing that Talbot's play hasn't been poor, he has. I'm saying no goalie can withstand crappy team defense over time... goalies are the only guys on the team not allowed to make any mistakes. On GOOD teams, everybody plays to that standard, but not this one. It is draining to watch guys make the same mistakes in front of you over and over. All of our last starting goalies have had the same thing happen to them... come in like gangbusters and gradually confidence erodes. Scrivens, Dubnyk, Talbot... and then the fans turn on them.

You guys have the wrong villain.

100%.

I have been saying this for years even back when Dubnyk was here. The only year that changed to any real extent was in 2016/17. Otherwise this team has been brutal with their D zone coverage.

So happy that Hitch is here now. Exactly the right person to put an end to this recipe for failure.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
100%.

I have been saying this for years even back when Dubnyk was here. The only year that changed to any real extent was in 2016/17. Otherwise this team has been brutal with their D zone coverage.

So happy that Hitch is here now. Exactly the right person to put an end to this recipe for failure.

Sekera's injury has left a gaping, prolapsed hole in our back end.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
6-4 Blues

I have less confidence in Talbot right now than I had in Brossoit last year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sekera's injury has left a gaping, prolapsed hole in our back end.

Absolutely.
I think we can probably agree that the first time around there was plenty of time for Chia to address this though.

Although Chias ability to establish value for Oiler forwards is in a League of its own so maybe its a good idea he hasnt been able to fill that hole. :nod:

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Just win. Still have whatever slight hope of making the playoffs this season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
McDavid is probably hooked up to an iv bag limping around the locker room, but I'd still play him.

Statistically Koskinen had his worse game as a starter with us the other night. A night that I'm sure probably had some ill players to go with Mcdavid and Spooner not playing. I wonder why Koskinen isn't given the chance to rebound.

STL is in the bottom third for goals and shots per game, seems like a good game to get him back on track.

Then again I guess you want to get Talbot going too.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
McDavid is probably hooked up to an iv bag limping around the locker room, but I'd still play him.

Statistically Koskinen had his worse game as a starter with us the other night. A night that I'm sure probably had some ill players to go with Mcdavid and Spooner not playing. I wonder why Koskinen isn't given the chance to rebound.

STL is in the bottom third for goals and shots per game, seems like a good game to get him back on track.

Then again I guess you want to get Talbot going too.
I believe Hitch said he'll give Talbot the St. Louis game before we had even played the Dallas game.

Reactions: LaGu

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I was just telling a coworker yesterday the sabres remind me of the 16-17 Oilers. I think that post is jumping the gun a little. Time will tell.

Look at who they surrounded Eichel with this offseason as well as drafting a legitimate #1 Dman this year. They added Skinner, Sabotka, Berglund, Hutton plus a few more players for some picks and ROR. They kept together the core players that they tanked for and built around them.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
The headline is unprofessional and "baity" (they might as well change it to Hockey Night in Calgary or Toronto or whatever Edmonton-hating place the writer is from) but the sentiment behind the article isn't wrong.

The Sabres are better than the Oilers right now, significantly.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I believe Hitch said he'll give Talbot the St. Louis game before we had even played the Dallas game.
Which is fair, but plans could always change.

For me this is a game that we should be able to win. A game that maybe we get things going as a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad