GDT: Oilers vs Avalanche|02/01/2015|No Honour For Connor Edition[MOD WARNING IN THE OP ]

avspatti

Dec 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
What makes you so sure it's not that he feels pressure to make something happen because they're so bad at the defensive end where defensemen are horrid at outlet passes and they have to spend so much time in their own zone?
I'm not sure, but I think he would gain some insight by watching a game or two.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Avs will finish with 86-88 points and draft 9th-10th unless they win the lottery.

Since the loss against Canucks and the switch to new system when Avs were 3-6-5, Avs have gone 12-9-3. Not good enough to make a real push for it and not bad enough to get good odds in the lottery.

A middling team with disillusioned fans trying to figure out who to blame for Avs being a middling team. I blame the Altitude host that I haven't learned the name of.

umdieecke*

I'm not sure, but I think he would gain some insight by watching a game or two.

I think Roy has made numerous mistakes that set MacKinnon and Duchene up for failure. Benching the most talented player on the team, who also happens to be 19, would be doubling down on those previous mistakes. It's not like Duchene has 40 points either. At this point MacKinnon might have his own criticisms and concerns with Roy and it would be completely fair for him to feel that way. Roy has screwed up the offseason so bad that he should just feel lucky if MacKinnon still tries and has a good attitude--nothing more. If Roy starts scolding people to try to teach them lessons, it could easily blow up in his face.

And why are the **** defensemen controlling this team? Roy let's Stastny walk over a million or so dollars but over pays Holden by roughly that much. The forwards were the strength of the team, then he let's Stastny walk and dares ROR to play bad by taking such a hard line with them in the offseason. And he didn't even improve the defense. He just threw money at a bunch of ***** defensemen and then he let's them tell him what kind of defense to run.

Then, to cap it off, he throws the forwards under the bus. If I was MacKinnon, I'd have a huge problem with being benched on top of all of this other crap...and this from a guy (Roy) who said theyre partners.

Sorry but benching Duchene, Landeskog, or MacKinnon is the last thing Roy should be doing. It's a meathead suggestion. There's no guarantee it won't backfire and it makes this partners thing a farce.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Jets fan coming in peace, how has ex-Jet Redmond looked for the Av's? Noticed he was a healthy scratch the past couple of games.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Jets fan coming in peace, how has ex-Jet Redmond looked for the Av's? Noticed he was a healthy scratch the past couple of games.

He has been very good. I took too long for Roy to test him. He looked more than fine. Had two rough games and Roy had no patience with him and scratched him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

We are generally happy with him. He had a couple rough games and Roy rotates his 7 D, he'll be back in soon enough. He's good for a 3rd pairing guy, he probably gets complained about the least around here.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Tonight at least the Avs contained the Oilers on their constant trying to create breakaways. Usually this is a high scoring affair, so to that extent I was glad to see that. The offense is obviously a dumpster fire and of course it was Danny B that made the difference. He might not do much else but he still has the knack to score goals. I liked seeing Rendulic get time with Duchene and Landy, it always feels to me that something either real good or real bad is going to happen when he's out there but he was pretty solid.

One thing that I pondered while watching tonight is Duchene needs to find someone (other than O'Reilly) he has chemistry with. I don't know what it is about him but it's a big factor in getting him going is having someone he connects with, which is rare. Moving forward the Avs are going to have to find him a woobie type of security blanket that he can play with and leave them be. He just doesn't connect with many people. Yeah I know he's a good player and he should be able to but the reality is he doesn't.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think Roy has made numerous mistakes that set MacKinnon and Duchene up for failure. Benching the most talented player on the team, who also happens to be 19, would be doubling down on those previous mistakes. It's not like Duchene has 40 points either. At this point MacKinnon might have his own criticisms and concerns with Roy and it would be completely fair for him to feel that way. Roy has screwed up the offseason so bad that he should just feel lucky if MacKinnon still tries and has a good attitude--nothing more. If Roy starts scolding people to try to teach them lessons, it could easily blow up in his face.

And why are the **** defensemen controlling this team? Roy let's Stastny walk over a million or so dollars but over pays Holden by roughly that much. The forwards were the strength of the team, then he let's Stastny walk and dares ROR to play bad by taking such a hard line with them in the offseason. And he didn't even improve the defense. He just threw money at a bunch of ***** defensemen and then he let's them tell him what kind of defense to run.

Then, to cap it off, he throws the forwards under the bus. If I was MacKinnon, I'd have a huge problem with being benched on top of all of this other crap...and this from a guy (Roy) who said theyre partners.

Sorry but benching Duchene, Landeskog, or MacKinnon is the last thing Roy should be doing. It's a meathead suggestion. There's no guarantee it won't backfire and it makes this partners thing a farce.

Roy stole your girlfriend or something didn't he?

MacKinnon is a professional. If he can't handle critique when he is playing awful hockey then he doesn't belong in the NHL. Roy has been far more lenient with the supposed stars of this team than most coaches would be. Most 19 year olds would have seen the pressbox if they were playing the way MacKinnon is right now. But oh no, Roy called out the forwards! He didn't cave in to O'Reillys ludicrous demands or pay Stastny 7 million per year! Oh, the humanity!!! Let us hope MacKinnon doesn't get his panties in a bunch and quit playing because Roy and Sakic didn't toss around money this off-season. :shakehead

Give me break. What an absolutely appalling mess of a post

umdieecke*

Roy stole your girlfriend or something didn't he?

MacKinnon is a professional. If he can't handle critique when he is playing awful hockey then he doesn't belong in the NHL. Roy has been far more lenient with the supposed stars of this team than most coahces would be. Most 19 year olds would have seen the pressbox if they were playing the way MacKinnon is right now. But oh no, Roy called out the forwards! He didn't cave in to O'Reillys ludicrous demands or pay Stastny 7 million per year! Oh, the humanity!!! Let us hope MacKinnond doesn't get his panties in a bunch and quit playing because Roy and Sakic didn't toss around money this off-season. :shakehead

Give me break. What an absolutely appalling mess of a post

Roy's also paid to coach and make personnel decisions...as well as manage situations with tact when necessary-- not like a meathead. So what's your point exactly?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Roy's also paid to coach and make personnel decisions...as well as manage situations with tact when necessary-- not like a meathead. So what's your point exactly?

He has managed it with tact. He has been incredibly polite and level headed in his dealings with the supposed stars on this team who are, for the most part, playing absolutely awful hockey. And yet you talk about MacKinnon giving up because the Avs didn't pay Stastny 7 million, or MacKinnon getting angry because he is rightfully getting called out, along with many others.

You have a completely irrational and unfounded hate for Roy. The only point your posts ever get across is that you despise everything about the man for absolutely no logical reason. You using the word meathead is heavily ironic.

umdieecke*

Tonight at least the Avs contained the Oilers on their constant trying to create breakaways. Usually this is a high scoring affair, so to that extent I was glad to see that. The offense is obviously a dumpster fire and of course it was Danny B that made the difference. He might not do much else but he still has the knack to score goals. I liked seeing Rendulic get time with Duchene and Landy, it always feels to me that something either real good or real bad is going to happen when he's out there but he was pretty solid.

One thing that I pondered while watching tonight is Duchene needs to find someone (other than O'Reilly) he has chemistry with. I don't know what it is about him but it's a big factor in getting him going is having someone he connects with, which is rare. Moving forward the Avs are going to have to find him a woobie type of security blanket that he can play with and leave them be. He just doesn't connect with many people. Yeah I know he's a good player and he should be able to but the reality is he doesn't.

Yes...Briere did well...just like Iginla and Tanguay are doing well. Clearly the other guys aren't old and slow enough to play on this team. This team needs more 40 year olds, if anything.

Does anyone think Roy and/or Sakic are thinking if making a comeback? Is that why they're trying, as close as they can, to get the band back together? Is that why they put this team together like its a "return to 2001" fantasy camp?

Last edited by a moderator:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Not a convincing win, but the Avs are finally finding ways to win games rather than lose them. 6-2-2 in the last 10, hoping they can build off of it and get some offense from everyone aside from Tanguay/Iginla.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What a weird game. Avs dominated until the ref decided to call back to back penalties, including an idiotic one where the guy grabbed Tanguay's stick and fell on top of it. Then the Oilers scored on the ensuing PP, and the Avs just did this :scared: for the rest of the 3rd.

EJ had a great first two periods (despite a dumb pass that lead to an odd man break and almost a goal) but then had an absolutely terrible 3rd, and made the same bad floater pass to the middle in OT that almost burned them. Not sure what the hell happened to him in the 3rd. Really strange.

The entire 3rd line was brutal. I hope there's something wrong with Mitchell or he's sick or something, because there's no excuse for the atrocious game he played. Literally almost every time he handled the puck he fumbled it. Made bad passes, ran into teammates, fell down, he was just awful. Briere the same. That goal might have been the only thing keeping him from being a scratch, because he gave some piss poor efforts on a lot of shifts tonight. Nate still looks like he has no idea where to go on the ice with the puck. Time for Mack to find a new SO move too.

Iggy needs to be stronger on the puck in front of the net. He's the strongest guy on the ice in just about every game, but he gets out muscled too easily in front of the net some times. Including the play where Holden sent a soft little pass that went through the crease untouched, that Iggy could have buried if he was stronger on his stick.

O'Reilly had another pretty good game, as did Tangs, and Landy. Dutchy was a little better, and I liked that he was passing up to the point more. I think that's been missing in a lot of players game, especially his. He tries to force too much to the net. That was an outstanding SO move by him too.

Hejda had an outstanding game. Should have been named the star instead of Briere. Lots of great defensive plays, great blocks, and was jumping into the zone and making some good plays with the puck.

Varly had a strong game too. He easily could have fallen apart, but stayed focused and made some big saves after breakdowns to keep them in it. As usual he was money in the SO.

Nice to see them pick up two points, but they should have won that game 5-0 easily.

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
This win is nothing to celebrate. Oilers lost this game by their own play, Avs just capitalized. I'm wondering why the Avs can't play like they played the Blues the first time a week or so ago. THAT was an impressive win.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site

I agree. We really need to have a good line mate who has chemistry with Duchene. Specifically, I think Duchene needs someone who can help with the cycle. I have no problem with Duchene doing his spin moves as long as he takes the puck to the net with power. Nathan also needs to do the same as well.

Maybe Roy should try MacKinnon on left wing. It would force him to cut inside to get shots off. I think he just needs to shoot as much as he can. He's built like an Ovechkin. Learn to be a bit of a selfish player and then develop your passing game from there.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Probably the most boring game I've watched all season, but hey, I'll take the 2 points. 7 points back of Vancouver, San Jose, Winnipeg and Calgary, 2 back of Minnesota and 1 back of Dallas. It feels like it is so much worse, but with each passing day we're reminded that although it is extremely slim, there is still a slight chance of the playoffs.

The way this team is playing defensively, I wonder what this team would look like over a 6-7 game stretch where they could actually score goals.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
I believe the team with 2 on the scoreboard over 1 is the "winner"...so yes.

Like in the green mile, when the prison warden ask what the **** was that after the execution that went sideways cause the rag wasn't wet and Tom hanks simply replies a successful execution, the prisoner is dead.

This is how I feel about tonight, yeah I'm happy we won, but it inspire little confidence in this group ability to win on a regular basis.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can't help but feel like part of the problem is systemic. So many fat, juicy rebounds right there in front of the net game in, game out and either no one is there or no one can seemingly get to it. Tonight Scrivens served up at least a couple doozies and guys were either in the corners or behind the net. Can't the Avs get someone to crash the net with regularity?

I know I've been on a bit of an anti-Roy rage of late, but I don't think this is all on the coach. Getting to and capitalizing on rebounds is a skill in and of itself (remember Marek Svatos? He of course excelled at this), and for some odd reason the only guy who seems able to do this on the Avs is Danny effin' Briere. That said, I don't think it's as hard as everyone outside of #48 is making it out to be.

I'll ask an honest question here because I don't know the answer: Are the constant D pinches actually hurting the Avs forwards? Are they so busy looking back to see if they have to cover one of the d-men that they're not paying attention to maintaining net presence? Sometimes I feel like they get a couple good shots in and then it feels like everyone just pulls back. I dunno, something just doesn't seem right, it's like they're all attacking at once or all pulling back at once.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I can't help but feel like part of the problem is systemic. So many fat, juicy rebounds right there in front of the net game in, game out and either no one is there or no one can seemingly get to it. Tonight Scrivens served up at least a couple doozies and guys were either in the corners or behind the net. Can't the Avs get someone to crash the net with regularity?

I know I've been on a bit of an anti-Roy rage of late, but I don't think this is all on the coach. Getting to and capitalizing on rebounds is a skill in and of itself (remember Marek Svatos? He of course excelled at this), and for some odd reason the only guy who seems able to do this on the Avs is Danny effin' Briere. That said, I don't think it's as hard as everyone outside of #48 is making it out to be.

I'll ask an honest question here because I don't know the answer: Are the constant D pinches actually hurting the Avs forwards? Are they so busy looking back to see if they have to cover one of the d-men that they're not paying attention to maintaining net presence? Sometimes I feel like they get a couple good shots in and then it feels like everyone just pulls back. I dunno, something just doesn't seem right, it's like they're all attacking at once or all pulling back at once.

Yes and no. At various points in tonight's game, I saw a defenseman pinch in while the puck was in the offensive zone, but two forwards retreated in order to prevent an odd-man rush. I noticed this on a few occasions with Hejda pinching and O'Reilly & Tanguay both backing away from the play.

I think it has to do with who is pinching. For example, when Barrie pinches, I don't see the Avs forwards retreating because they know he's going to make a play with the puck once he gets it, and more often than not he does, and he also has enough speed to get back. Meanwhile when Hejda pinches, they know he's either just going to rifle it around the boards to the other corner or just blindly throw it at the net. Which isn't a bad thing, unless you don't have traffic in front of the net which he rarely does on those pinches. They know nothing is going to happen with him, or Holden or Guenin, so they back away fearing an odd-man rush. They also know that the latter three defenseman absolutely can't skate back to cover their mistake if an odd-man rush occurs, so they need to cover for them.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The 3rd was ugly as hell but I'll take the win. Best possible outcome to give the Oilers another point. Hopefully they keep racking up loser points and lose out on Mcdavid.

I like Rendulic's attitude out there. Hopefully we see a bit more of him with creative players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad