Post-Game Talk: Oilers took a working vacation too

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I was watching the game outta the corner of my eye tonight while I was shooting darts.
Looked like we were doing good for a bit then the penalty parade started. I noticed Bennington made some big stops to hold them in at the start.
Anyone play like shit?
I see brown had another chance. Charlie Brown will kick a field goal before Connor Brown scores

Team as a whole played like shit defensively. The officials didn't help either with the penalties against in both the 2nd and 3rd period after the Perry scuffle with Scandella.

Reactions: LTIR

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I was listening to Stauffer . I realize some don’t like him but he called it correct . We still need 2 hood forwards. We need a scoring RW and and good bottom 6. I’m still saying Jenner for 1
Extra forwards would have been no help tonight. Our top line got owned tonight.. no tarasenko or guentzel would've made us win this game.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
Well that sucked.
Terrible officiating. Big Vinny D didn't have the best night, can't blame him for getting frustrated on that elbow call though. Team D was a little suspect. Had some great chances early but Binnington played great, didn't get breaks and the refs made sure we were buried.
Loved seeing Perry get pissed off, get in a scrap and score a goal from in tight.
Outcome sucked, but the wife and I had good time together. On to the next one.

Reactions: subnet and Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Please.
Not this again
What not again?

This is the PGT of a game where once again goaltending was the whole story. Both teams gave up a lot and the Oilers had the edge in play despite the PP disparity.

Are we supposed to pretend these results aren't occurring?

Hill beat us, Binnington beat us, lol even Rittich beat us.

Reactions: Keggatron

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
What not again?

This is the PGT of a game where once again goaltending was the whole story. Both teams gave up a lot and the Oilers had the edge in play despite the PP disparity.

I think it’s a stretch to say goaltending was the entire story, it was part of the story but certainly not the entire story. It was far, far too easy to get to the high danger spots for the blues tonight and get multiple great looks. That said Skinner was not his best, like pretty much the entire team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Skinner makes the initial saves even on breakaways. The defense in front of him was allowing extra whacks and rebound chances all night. Most of the goals against were 2nd and 3rd whacks
Most quality goalies, like Binnington can make multiple stops in a row. Skinner sells out so hard on initial shot and his edges and control so poor he's often completely out of position for rebounds, which he puts in dangerous areas.

There was after STL already had 5 goals where Skinner makes the initial stop and doesn't even get up for the rebound. Like he's tired or something. lol. Luckily the puck bounced harmlessly away.

Most teams can generate chances that involve rebounds. In playoffs most opponents can generate those kinds of sequences. The Oilers fare poorly lately against teams that can battle for pucks in offensive zone. You can't block out everything everytime. For weeks Skinner was getting the easiest possible workload during games. The Oilers were putting on a clinic in front of him.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
What not again?

But it's always the goalies fault. Ever our tenders don't stand on their head they get shit on.
I counted 7 F ing wide open passes to the slot for dangerous chances. That's without the ones where they scored. We have a problem again and it's called Defense.

Goaltending has not been an issue since the start of the season.

Reactions: LTIR

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
What not again?

I am beginning to think you're not a fan of skinner🤣

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think it’s a stretch to say goaltending was the entire story, it was part of the story but certainly not the entire story. It was far, far too easy to get to the high danger spots for the blues tonight and get multiple great looks. That said Skinner was not his best, like pretty much the entire team.
Heres a difference. Blues give up several dangerous chances to high scoring flyers like Hyman, Drai, Kane and Binnington is stoning them. On the other hand Skinner is seeing that and he's looking at his team mates like WTF? Usually while on his ass wondering what happened.

This is not the nature of goalie that holds the fort while the team is off their game. The Oilers aren't going to be on their game all season and you need a goalie to stone the other team from time to time. Blues probably get that 40 times a year. We get it a handful of times.

But it's always the goalies fault. Ever our tenders don't stand on their head they get shit on.
I counted 7 F ing wide open passes to the slot for dangerous chances. That's without the ones where they scored. We have a problem again and it's called Defense.

Goaltending has not been an issue since the start of the season.
So its never a goalie problem then?

I mean exactly what is?

Skinner was absolute garbage to start the season and one of the reasons we were so far below .500.

Hey, people are free to maintain Skinner is good enough to go on a serious playoff heater. But I don't know that would be the case.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Pretty bad game. St. Louis exposed them tonight. Poor defensively. Poor goaltending.

Skinner wasn’t good tonight. His lack of lateral mobility was really exposed. St. Louis was whipping it all over the offensive zone and Skinner looked lost. The team has to be better defensively and limit scoring chances and cross seam play if we are going to do anything with Skinner.

I thought Line 1 and Ekholm/Bouchard got clowned a few times tonight. Really dissapointing play from them.

I’ve said it a few times recently but still getting the impression that this team can’t play offense and defense in the same game.

This team has a bit of a conundrum though. As bad as McDavids line was defensively, he’s literally the only player that is effectively contributing to offense. The last two games, he has had a hand in pretty much every goal we score.

Feels like once again, we don’t have any depth. Feels like everyone is waiting around for 1-2 players to do everything.

I think the team is in a bit of trouble to be honest.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Everyone always looking to scapegoat a player to pin the loss on. The team just sucked tonight and quite frankly hasn't played a good solid 60 minutes of hockey in a long time.

Even against Vegas who many seem to think we played well against, I think we played right into Vegas game plan and they shut us down easily just like they did in the playoffs.

This team has 0 mental toughness when things don't go their way.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Here we go again with this meaningless talk.

I like how a lot of you guys turn blind eye to Skinner when he's playing really good but then say "we won't be a contender with him in net" when he has a subpar game. I swear every good, young goalie gets ripped apart by fans and then those fans regret it.

Dubnyk was the other one. Skinner is now. Rodrigue maybe in the future
Don't even bother, it's a waste of your breath and time. Some people are just born to be negative.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I can’t figure out why Drai is getting kicked out of face offs so consistently. Sometimes even before he has a chance to set. Not just tonight’s game by a few lately. I must be missing some problem in his setup or whatever but it’s baffling as hell.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Most quality goalies, like Binnington can make multiple stops in a row. Skinner sells out so hard on initial shot and his edges and control so poor he's often completely out of position for rebounds, which he puts in dangerous areas.

There was after STL already had 5 goals where Skinner makes the initial stop and doesn't even get up for the rebound. Like he's tired or something. lol. Luckily the puck bounced harmlessly away.

Most teams can generate chances that involve rebounds. In playoffs most opponents can generate those kinds of sequences. The Oilers fare poorly lately against teams that can battle for pucks in offensive zone. You can't block out everything everytime. For weeks Skinner was getting the easiest possible workload during games. The Oilers were putting on a clinic in front of him.

Most quality goalies huh?
Blues tried giving Binnington away a year and a half ago cause he sucked so bad after the cup win.
But our goalies have a bad game or two and they gotta go? Insane

Heres a difference. Blues give up several dangerous chances to high scoring flyers like Hyman, Drai, Kane and Binnington is stoning them. On the other hand Skinner is seeing that and he's looking at his team mates like WTF? Usually while on his ass wondering what happened.

This is not the nature of goalie that holds the fort while the team is off their game. The Oilers aren't going to be on their game all season and you need a goalie to stone the other team from time to time. Blues probably get that 40 times a year. We get it a handful of times.

I mean exactly what is?

Skinner was absolute garbage to start the season and one of the reasons we were so far below .500.

Hey, people are free to maintain Skinner is good enough to go on a serious playoff heater. But I don't know that would be the case.

You actually think goaltending has lost us the last 3 out of 5 games and not defense?

Last edited:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

I mean exactly what is?

The oilers finish has been an issue for a while now, even back to the winning streak. This wasn’t all on Skinner, it even close.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Just so much wrong with his game. Tentative, hopelessly unphysical, he's not an energy player. EV, any of his minutes played he serves no role. Not only doesn't he score or produce a drop, he has no intangibles and doesn't hit.
I've never seen a fanbase trip over themselves to defend a player as unproductive and as unfun to watch as Brown. I don't get it. Even with some of our meme players in the past like Haas and Nygard, they at least didn't have a vocal defense force coping about how "solid they look" despite them being noncontributors.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Usually I've calmed down an hour or so after a loss, but I'm still pretty pissed. We played like crap, that's a given, but it's really hard to watch a game that you know is rigged, and that no matter what do at the deadline (could acquire the best goalie, dman and forward) that the SC is going to be awarded to a US team. It's a given, and the league doesn't even try to hide it's bias. Beyond frustrating.

Reactions: McAsuno and Sanchez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pretty bad game. St. Louis exposed them tonight. Poor defensively. Poor goaltending.

Skinner wasn’t good tonight. His lack of lateral mobility was really exposed. St. Louis was whipping it all over the offensive zone and Skinner looked lost. The team has to be better defensively and limit scoring chances and cross seam play if we are going to do anything with Skinner.

I thought Line 1 and Ekholm/Bouchard got clowned a few times tonight. Really dissapointing play from them.

I’ve said it a few times recently but still getting the impression that this team can’t play offense and defense in the same game.

This team has a bit of a conundrum though. As bad as McDavids line was defensively, he’s literally the only player that is effectively contributing to offense. The last two games, he has had a hand in pretty much every goal we score.

Feels like once again, we don’t have any depth. Feels like everyone is waiting around for 1-2 players to do everything.

I think the team is in a bit of trouble to be honest.
Its a flawed roster. This team is still built on select players making most of the contribution. In terms of support and bottomsix player we generally bad bottomsix and to make matters worse we don't hit.

Was just checking the other day and theres 90NHL players with 100 or more hits. The Oilers had only 1. They gave up their leading hitter from last season Klim Kostin and apparently don't feel thats an important aspect of hockey. But its related to the Oilers getting worked all over the ice and even Captain McDavid having to become a hitter (maybe he shouldn't be doing it to the degree) but because few others on the club are finishing hits.

The part people not noting is its easy for opponents to skate into our slot. They don't have much to worry about there. The Oilers for awhile were surviving on sticks in lanes and blocked shots. STL all day today were faking shot and pulling back and then killing us. I dare say they scouted our tendencies. Blues are also a team that can make 5 passes in a row to unlock our pk. A lot of PP"s have tended to look inept against us. We were pressuring aggressively same as always but Blues were making us pay for that very same thing. Inevitably they would work it to open position. Was clinical.

Reactions: Messrules11

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I've never seen a fanbase trip over themselves to defend a player as unproductive and as unfun to watch as Brown. I don't get it. Even with some of our meme players in the past like Haas and Nygard, they at least didn't have a vocal defense force coping about how "solid they look" despite them being noncontributors.

I'm going to unironically state that Haas would be an upgrade in the bottom 6. If he could have got his core / stability up a bit to stay on his skates better he would have made it as a 4th liner for the long haul IMO. Decently skilled and a smart player.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its gotten to the point where several of us are wondering if unconsciously its just partly the name. The Connor Brown type perfect hockey name. That they say this in telecasts makes me chuckle a little too.

A whole season of derision was directed at Puljujarvi's direction last season because he had trouble scoring. But at least scored on occasion, would hit a lot, and even fight for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad