Post-Game Talk: Oilers took a working vacation too

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Except he's not been effective at all. There's literally no excuse for him not to be able at least pot some goals at this point. Drive the net, get a greasy goal, etc. Perry's goal tonight was evident of what it takes to score. Anybody that has him on their line has their stats cratered.

It's the same excuse used for Janmark. How the f*** can this team go through a deep playoff series when those 2 players have one goal combined. It's insanity. The team doesn't play a full PK for 60 minutes. The depth scoring is just complete awful with those two.
Goals aren't the only way for a player to be effective. This is a player that has been successful in pressuring opposing defensemen. He's been hard on forechecks and he's been forcing turnovers frequently.

Brown drove the net tonight. He has several looks and rang a puck off of the crossbar. He was far more effective in the offensive zone than any other skater in the bottom six.

You're repeating the same thing. Yes, we need to start seeing the goals. But the way he plays is incredibly likely to yield positive results. It's an odd game to have the knives out for him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The oilers finish has been an issue for a while now, even back to the winning streak. This wasn’t all on Skinner, it even close.
Semantics. The defining difference in this game was quality of goaltending. That can't even be argued. Thats the point.

Trade goalies in this game and we win 6-3. Put it that way.

Even in the telecast they were speaking repeatedly about Binnington robbery.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Everyone always looking to scapegoat a player to pin the loss on. The team just sucked tonight and quite frankly hasn't played a good solid 60 minutes of hockey in a long time.

Even against Vegas who many seem to think we played well against, I think we played right into Vegas game plan and they shut us down easily just like they did in the playoffs.

This team has 0 mental toughness when things don't go their way.
Did you watch that game? Missed empty nets hill stoning us. What on earth are you talking about?

Did I watxh that game in an alternative universe? We have Vegas nothing, except the chances on the two goals they got

We should have won that game by many goals

They have been poor since

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
We better start diving if we want calls. Every team is doing it against us.
We don't believe in it

Detroit has 5/6 pp tonight so far. Think they are a top ten team in opportunities

Toronto gets it worse than us. They are near bottom every year lol

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its a flawed roster. This team is still built on select players making most of the contribution. In terms of support and bottomsix player we generally bad bottomsix and to make matters worse we don't hit.

Was just checking the other day and theres 90NHL players with 100 or more hits. The Oilers had only 1. They gave up their leading hitter from last season Klim Kostin and apparently don't feel thats an important aspect of hockey. But its related to the Oilers getting worked all over the ice and even Captain McDavid having to become a hitter (maybe he shouldn't be doing it to the degree) but because few others on the club are finishing hits.

The part people not noting is its easy for opponents to skate into our slot. They don't have much to worry about there. The Oilers for awhile were surviving on sticks in lanes and blocked shots. STL all day today were faking shot and pulling back and then killing us. I dare say they scouted our tendencies. Blues are also a team that can make 5 passes in a row to unlock our pk. A lot of PP"s have tended to look inept against us. We were pressuring aggressively same as always but Blues were making us pay for that very same thing. Inevitably they would work it to open position. Was clinical.
I think its as much of a flawed mentality as a flawed roster.

Reactions: Puljulainen

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Most quality goalies huh?
Blues tried giving Binnington away a year and a half ago cause he sucked so bad after the cup win.
But our goalies have a bad game or two and they gotta go? Insane

You actually think goaltending has lost us the last e out of t games and not defense?
If you're gonna respond to my posts in that manner don't.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I’ll admit I did something I almost never do and gave up on the game after the second period. It’s a shame I missed seeing Perry’s first goal live, but based on the sloppy hockey the team was playing I knew they weren’t coming back from 2-5.

A rare bad game for Hyman. Yes, Binnington played well, but if Hyman bears down on a couple of those chances (as he ordinarily would) game could have been 3-1 or 4-1 and the Blues might have folded their hand. Finished the night -3 and looked bad doing it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Semantics. The defining difference in this game was quality of goaltending. That can't even be argued. Thats the point.

I agree. Everyone wants to blame our defence but let’s face it, switch goalies and the outcome is different.

Reactions: Keggatron

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Goals aren't the only way for a player to be effective. This is a player that has been successful in pressuring opposing defensemen. He's been hard on forechecks and he's been forcing turnovers frequently.

Brown drove the net tonight. He has several looks and rang a puck off of the crossbar. He was far more effective in the offensive zone than any other skater in the bottom six.

You're repeating the same thing. Yes, we need to start seeing the goals. But the way he plays is incredibly likely to yield positive results. It's an odd game to have the knives out for him.

What you say really doesn't matter when he still hasn't potted a single damn goal. I don't care what he does until then especially with his cap affecting the team next year. He's a black hole offensively.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think its as much of a flawed mentality as a flawed roster.
nah. Start of season I said the club was relatively old and slow. We're lacking in many areas and out bottomsix is a mixture of too old and too tentative. We don't have an energy line, it doesn't exist here. We don't have a shutdown line either. Its a weirdly constructed club and just like many years we have half a dozen players that just don't deserve to be playing on a contending club, and that are not good enough to be doing it.

I agree. Everyone wants to blame our defence but let’s face it, switch goalies and the outcome is different.
I don't see how anybody doesn't see that. If they don't maybe kidding themselves. If we have Binnington in this game we win easy.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Seriously what did Binnington do ither than admittedly rob Hymen twice?
I'll watch game again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure Skinner made a lot of very good saves as well. Not his greatest game but then again he's allowed a sub oar game In 15 isn't he?

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
nah. Start of season I said the club was relatively old and slow. We're lacking in many areas and out bottomsix is a mixture of too old and too tentative. We don't have an energy line, it doesn't exist here. We don't have a shutdown line either. Its a weirdly constructed club and just like many years we have half a dozen players that just don't deserve to be playing on a contending club, and that are not good enough to be doing it.

I don't see how anybody doesn't see that. If they don't maybe kidding themselves. If we have Binnington in this game we win easy.

I miss the old RPM line!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'll admit it's not my first choice of genre but his legend status is more than worthy, IMO. Actually introduced to him through (finally) getting around to watching Breaking Bad and the (excellently ethereal) cover of this song by The Be Good Tanyas that played in a scene perked my ears. Got me to his originals and some others that covered him.

It's my kind of "country", and wish it was more popular.

And agree, not there yet, but they need to get the ship upright.
He is an absolute legend. This song gave me great comfort through the loss of my brother. One of my all time favourite songs which has so much emotion within his thoughtful lyrics and composition:

Check out the Crazy Heart movie soundtrack. It is absolutely fantastic.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Most quality goalies huh?
Blues tried giving Binnington away a year and a half ago cause he sucked so bad after the cup win.
But our goalies have a bad game or two and they gotta go? Insane

You actually think goaltending has lost us the last 3 out of 5 games and not defense?
This isnt just a bad game or 2 for skinner

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

;)

Incredibly likely?

Don't go to vegas. ;)

Reactions: McAsuno

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What effect is that. Please expand. The only effect EV is the Oilers rarely scoring with Brown on ice while allowing some GA. He also took a stupid penalty tonight 200ft from net. I don't know it can even be said either that the pk prowess is still occurring.
The penalty was one that could've gone either way. Doubtful that we'd get that call tonight. It was another example of how good he is at closing on the forecheck.

Since being paired together, he and Ryan are 0-2 together at evens and they've been a saw off in terms of shot share. Brown had a poor start to the season but it's noticeable that he's catching up.

;)

Incredibly likely?

Don't go to vegas. ;)
Be ready to eat your words in a few weeks.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Heck switch defence and keep Skinner in net, we’d still lose.

I’ve said this many times, Skinner is a 1B who can get the Oilers to the playoffs but he’s going to get majorly exposed in the playoffs

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The penalty was one that could've gone either way. Doubtful that we'd get that call tonight. It was another example of how good he is at closing on the forecheck.

Since being paired together, he and Ryan are 0-2 together at evens and they've been a saw off in terms of shot share. Brown had a poor start to the season but it's noticeable that he's catching up.
Yay!

participation ribbon.

I'm jk around but this is low hanging grapes and even when Connor Brown pressures a puck successfully it leads to nothing in the way of goals. its a tree fall in the forest type thing. He isn't even physical. Most times he's getting a puck is because an opponent fanned on a pass or something like Krug did tonight on PP.

Be ready to eat your words in a few weeks.
You realize people have been saying that to me since July?

Well I'm real hungry. ;)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He is an absolute legend. This song gave me great comfort through the loss of my brother. One of my all time favourite songs which has so much emotion within his thoughtful lyrics and composition:

Check out the Crazy Heart movie soundtrack. It is absolutely fantastic.

Thanks for sharing :) His music feels so effortless genuine and heartfelt in its emotions, no pretentions at all. Big part of what draws me to it. I'll check out the soundtrack

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
How the f*** can anybody continue to defend Connor Brown at this point? Jacob Markstrom aka a goalie has the same amount of assists as him. The NHL is a results-based driven league. I could give a rats ass if he's doing the 'right things' when he can't even contribute offensively on the scoreboard. The Oilers didn't sign Connor Brown to be a guy who can do the right things and be defensively good. They signed him thinking he would produce as a top 6 FWD. He's not even producing at a bottom 6 level either. How embarrassing can it be for a dman like Ceci to score after 172 games. How Perry just recently joined the Oilers, but knows it just takes a simple greasy crashing the net for a goal. What the f*** does Brown even do aside from being the cardio king on this team? It's f***ing gross he's taking up valuable cap space next year on this team from his bonus.

I said it before and I'll say it again. There's no way in hell other cup contending teams would've given Brown this much leeway. 43 games with no goals is UNACCEPTABLE for any forward in the NHL.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
If you're gonna respond to my posts in that manner don't.

Don't get pissy with me Drai.
I've respectfully discussed our difference of opinions with you in a positive manner.

But because I have a stronger difference this time and call you on it, you reply with this? Ok.

I'll say only one more thing on this conversation. I have no idea if Stuart Skinner can carry the load in a deep playoff run. But in his second full year in the NHL, I would think he'd get a bit more leash after one subpar game in the last 15+. Maybe not I guess on these boards

This isnt just a bad game or 2 for skinner

No? What is it then?

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't get pissy with me Drai.
I've respectfully discussed our difference of opinions with you in a positive manner.

But because I have a stronger difference this time and call you on it, you reply with this? Ok.

I'll say only one more thing on this conversation. I have no idea if Stuart Skinner can carry the load in a deep playoff run. But in his second full year in the NHL, I would think he'd get a bit more leash after one subpar game in the last 15+. Maybe not I guess on these boards

No? What is it then?
I'll reply in kind when somebody refers to my post as "insane"

I'd expect better than that.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I just read Oilers are 31st in the league for PP time or penalties differential. Is this true? How can that be possible when you have one of the most potent and hard to stop offence in the league?

that being said I hate the refs and blame them as much as the next guy but we have to clean up taking stupid shit

pls dumb Connor brown into the ocean and upgrade on Ceci/Pickard

deadline is close! Wakey wakey old man

Reactions: Sanchez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad