Post-Game Talk: Oilers took a working vacation too

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Trash f***ing league with trash ass officials under a trash NHL commissioner.
I 100% believe the shit with sports betting affecting how a game is dictated.
There is no way it doesn't. Probably make bets through accounts behind the scenes. Let the refs know which way to tilt games.

I can;t explain it otherwise when it is not called the same both ways

We are up on DET and the idiots keep giving them PP's to get within one goal and eventually tie it. We can't get a lick when we are up 2 goals in most games.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Trash f***ing league with trash ass officials under a trash NHL commissioner.
I 100% believe the shit with sports betting affecting how a game is dictated.
I don't think it's about betting. It's that the Oilers can keep losing and still be profitable. American teams? Not so much. They need all the support to be profitable.
I mean we make fun of leaf fans but it seems like both of our teams are in the same boat. Constantly hosed by the league.
Both teams can and have been losers for large stretches of their history and still been profitable. The league knows they don't need any support.

Reactions: Puljulainen

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Righttt..
I'm sure he has another 5 yrs before the age based decline.

Not sure singling him out for this game makes much sense. Plenty of garbage.
This must be the first time you're defending him...lol

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Screw the conspiracy talk, there is some very concerning trends that will test Knob here. The slot is once again just a free zone in the Oilers end. The first shift of the second where they gave up the tiring goal the team didn’t look even close to being ready and didn’t touch the puck even. The pk is trash right now. Lots of individual play and lack of structure is rearing its head.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The good news with a game like this is it has to be showing management we need a TDL goalie. This is not a specific knock on Skinner just that he's not good enough to be a goalie on a seriously contending team. Last times we tried that he was the reason we lost.

Picture perfect illustration of what goaltending does served up again tonight. Binnington faced more work, made harder stops and only gave up 3. Skinner gave up 5 and was saved by the end of the period buzzer on another.

This must be the first time you're defending him...lol
You got some 4D chess going on this. ;)

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Painfully evident this current team will not be able to beat teams like Vegas, Colorado, Boston and others in a seven game series. Holland has his work cut out for him.

Reactions: Duke74

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Binnington was good in this one, Skinner not so much. Too many penalties tonight, especially Vinny, that unsportsmanlike can’t happen.
Nuge was awful again, not sure what his plus/minus was tonight but he was a passenger all night.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
There is no way it doesn't. Probably make bets through accounts behind the scenes. Let the refs know which way to tilt games.

I can;t explain it otherwise when it is not called the same both ways

We are up on DET and the idiots keep giving them PP's to get within one goal and eventually tie it. We can't get a lick when we are up 2 goals in most games.

A team that has Connor McDavid not being among the top of the league for getting powerplays is a f***ing joke. f*** this league.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Musicians musician. Seems like you don't hear about this guy much but all the bands know who he is. Went to a Cowboy Junkies concert and they played a couple of his songs and talked about him being such an influence.
Love Townes Van Zandt. Not there yet but post all star break this team is wobbling

I'll admit it's not my first choice of genre but his legend status is more than worthy, IMO. Actually introduced to him through (finally) getting around to watching Breaking Bad and the (excellently ethereal) cover of this song by The Be Good Tanyas that played in a scene perked my ears. Got me to his originals and some others that covered him.

It's my kind of "country", and wish it was more popular.

And agree, not there yet, but they need to get the ship upright.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Screw the conspiracy talk, there is some very concerning trends that will test Knob here. The slot is once again just a free zone in the Oilers end. The first shift of the second where they gave up the tiring goal the team didn’t look even close to being ready and didn’t touch the puck even. The pk is trash right now. Lots of individual play and lack of structure is rearing its head.
That was our top line. That gave up 3EVGA tonight. Yeah, I'd say that goal was inevitable. Looked like a Blues PP.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
There are a lot of issues with this team right now; poor defensive efforts, horrendous puck management and abysmal PK right at the top of the list.

But for the love of God, PB Connor Brown. Enough is enough with this player... he is terrible in every facet of the game and doesn't deserve to be on an NHL roster.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We didn't sign the guy to be simply a defensive stalwart. No goals at all is just downright comical at this point.
I agree, but it is what is. You have this player now and they've found a way to use him effectively. I don't think anyone disagrees that it'd be nice if the pucks started going in.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I don't think it's about betting. It's that the Oilers can keep losing and still be profitable. American teams? Not so much. They need all the support to be profitable.

Both teams can and have been losers for large stretches of their history and still been profitable. The league knows they don't need any support.
Remeber, Edmonton used to give st Louis revenue sharing money when they signed Doug weight lol

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
There are a lot of issues with this team right now; poor defensive efforts, horrendous puck management and abysmal PK right at the top of the list.

But for the love of God, PB Connor Brown. Enough is enough with this player... he is terrible in every facet of the game and doesn't deserve to be on an NHL roster.
Are you trying to tell me 4 assists in 43 games doesn’t warrant a full time NHL roster spot?

• Haha
Reactions: subnet

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll admit it's not my first choice of genre but his legend status is more than worthy, IMO. Actually introduced to him through (finally) getting around to watching Breaking Bad and the (excellently ethereal) cover of this song by The Be Good Tanyas that played in a scene perked my ears. Got me to his originals and some others that covered him.

It's my kind of "country", and wish it was more popular.

And agree, not there yet, but they need to get the ship upright.
Still haven't got around to it and never will. No way I'd get a prescription to a streaming service just to watch one show. Its not really my thing anyway. A whole series based on making and dealing Crystal Meth. hard pass.

Reactions: Oilhawks

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
A team that has Connor McDavid not being among the top of the league for getting powerplays is a f***ing joke. f*** this league.
Hey he's no Mackinnon buddy!

Colorado tops in pps for like 5/6 years

Hell, we have bottom feeders up at the top ten who get dominated lol

Reactions: McAsuno

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
That was our top line. That gave up 3EVGA tonight. Yeah, I'd say that goal was inevitable. Looked like a Blues PP.
Yeah I was trying not to dump on the top line for things tonight because the bottom six is an offensive black hole, but yeah they were not ready there. But Mcdavid has been in on 9 of the last 10 goals so he’s carrying the offense right now but it’s showing in the defensive end.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Didn't watch most of this but based on the comments I'll mention my conspiracy theory:

The "grow the game" mandate by Bettman means the Oilers, and any other Canadian team, will never win a Stanley Cup again because the league and their refs will make sure it doesn't happen.
I don’t know if I would go that far but the league definitely favours results that will boost revenues and they have mechanisms such as officiating mandates and leaving themselves gray areas in things like cap rules where they can shift advantages. It’s why they strive for parity, because these little mechanisms that allow them to put their thumb on the scale a bit become more effective when teams are so close.

Canadian teams don’t have much upside in terms of growth, their markets are tapped. They take in large portions of their revenue in CAD and the NHL knows good or bad those fans never abandon their teams, maybe attendances dip at times but they never have empty buildings like what happens to a lot of American markets when team performance is poor. From a money making stand point, there’s no point in giving Canadian teams a push, despite the fact they already face significant and growing disadvantages, that’s why we haven’t seen a Canadian cup champion in 30 years but I bet a Canadian team will end up being good enough to overcome it all and win a cup, probably the Oilers to be honest. Then probably be another 20 years before another Canadian team wins again.

Reactions: Keggatron

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We didn't sign the guy to be simply a defensive stalwart. No goals at all is just downright comical at this point.
That's a worthy point in a Connor Brown thread. For a thread about this one game, it's very unfair. He had a great effort tonight. Lots of players didn't score.

Brown had two really great chances to score this game, which is more than most did.

The whole memed aspect of Brown not scoring is funny but it's not any serious analysis. There's no such thing as curses, right?

Reactions: harpoon

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I agree, but it is what is. You have this player now and they've found a way to use him effectively. I don't think anyone disagrees that it'd be nice if the pucks started going in.

Except he's not been effective at all. There's literally no excuse for him not to be able at least pot some goals at this point. Drive the net, get a greasy goal, etc. Perry's goal tonight was evident of what it takes to score. Anybody that has him on their line has their stats cratered.

It's the same excuse used for Janmark. How the f*** can this team go through a deep playoff series when those 2 players have one goal combined. It's insanity. The team doesn't play a full PK for 60 minutes. The depth scoring is just complete awful with those two.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This team has been absolute junk since the All Star break.
Same garbage...poor defence...poor puck management and poor starts to periods.

That 2nd period was brutal. Just an embarrassing effort.
If not for a miracle game from McDavid and a lucky win against the Ducks this team would be winless since the break.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
That's a worthy point in a Connor Brown thread. For a thread about this one game, it's very unfair. He had a great effort tonight. Lots of players didn't score.

Brown had two really great chances to score this game, which is more than most did.

The whole memed aspect of Brown not scoring is funny but it's not any serious analysis. There's no such thing as curses, right?

Until he actually starts producing, I honestly can't be bothered to care. Having great chances is great and all, but it doesn't add to the actual scoreboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad