Rumor: Oilers to bring back Todd McFarlane jerseys 'with a twist' in 2022-23 season

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I don't think I'll ever buy a reverse retro, seems it's only relevant for one season but I am very much looking forward to seeing these on the ice.
I'm with you. I absolutely love both the 2020 RR and this one but I don't think I'll get one unless they make it a permanent fixture in the jersey lineup.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
horrible. i think i have PTSD from the spawn logo. those teams were some of the worst in franchise history.

Wholeheartedly disagree. That was a pretty likeable group of players who generally punched above their weight-class (and you know, went to the Stanley cup finals one year). Maybe it's just my youthful nostalgia, but I'd take that era any day over the one shortly before it (the sell-off of all the remaining stars, playoff drought, dwindling attendance, the relocation rumours, Policklington defaulting on the team), and definitely the one after (10 long years, HOPE, I think I know a thing or two about winning, etc.)

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I like it. Orange does stand out a little too much and yes, going copper instead would have been better but it’s not as bad as some are whining about Online. said it before and I’ll say it again. These will look 🔥 on the ice.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Rama Llama Ding Dong

Oct 13, 2022
That looks really good. Nice close-up
View attachment 596470

The close-ups do look pretty good.

If there is one thing I have learned its to with hold final judgement until you see the entire kit. If the pants, socks, helmets, and gloves help to mute the vibrancy of the orange oil drop, they might look great on the ice.

If the pants have some god awful striping or something though, they could definitely sink this set.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Gazzola just confirmed that Broberg had an injury tweak that bothered him all throughout training camp but he will be in Bakersfield next week playing again

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
As someone who owns the original Spawn jersey (Hemsky), I don't think these are terrible, but I wish they had went with a white base. Isn't that what a "reverse" retro should be?

Next time, I'd like to see them do a modern take on the early-mid 2000s jerseys. Those teams were so much fun to watch (Smyth-Weight-Guerin/Carter, Moreau-Marchant-Grier, etc.)

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta

I think it looks better when you see the full thing and not a close up.

Yeah, not digging that orange oil drop. Really does look like a fried egg. I also don't dig the combination of the white and silver at all. It just makes the whole design look like a mess! Should of just used silver and replaced the orange with the 2000s copper color. It's disappointing and a missed opportunity to make a great looking jersey.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Presumably they should be released soon given the schedule correct?

Attachments

• 8938A8D5-A9B4-468C-BFD7-3C77F9877B61.png
    8938A8D5-A9B4-468C-BFD7-3C77F9877B61.png
    441.4 KB · Views: 2

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Are they a one season only jersey or will they be in rotation for a few years?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I think it depends what the team wants to do ... LA wore their reverse retro (the white-silver Gretzky era ones) that was introduced last year in their season opener. But I think the idea is the league is going to do these "remix" jerseys at least through this year to try and boost revenues lost to COVID shutdown.

I'm kinda surprised actually the Oilers didn't wear the Alberta Oilers reverse retro a few extra times. It's not a bad jersey.

If I had to guess I think next year the new McFarlane will phase out the "football jersey navys" and maybe the Oilers bring back the Smyth-era 90s blue/copper, at least for the outdoor game they're planning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and jeffff

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I think it depends what the team wants to do ... LA wore their reverse retro (the white-silver Gretzky era ones) that was introduced last year in their season opener. But I think the idea is the league is going to do these "remix" jerseys at least through this year to try and boost revenues lost to COVID shutdown.

I'm kinda surprised actually the Oilers didn't wear the Alberta Oilers reverse retro a few extra times. It's not a bad jersey.

If I had to guess I think next year the new McFarlane will phase out the "football jersey navys" and maybe the Oilers bring back the Smyth-era 90s blue/copper, at least for the outdoor game they're planning.

According to Tom Gazzola it’s one and done like last years reverse retro. Last year for the dark navy and orange thirds as well.

Presumably they should be released soon given the schedule correct?

Nov 15 is the release date I was given.

Reactions: jeffff and PuckG

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
According to Tom Gazzola it’s one and done like last years reverse retro. Last year for the dark navy and orange thirds as well.

Nov 15 is the release date I was given.

I think that probably means the 90s Weight-Smyth-era Navy Blue is coming back as a 3rd next year. They may need another jersey for our outdoor game if that's happening too. Because they're not just going to have 2 jerseys for next year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think that probably means the 90s Weight-Smyth-era Navy Blue is coming back as a 3rd next year. They may need another jersey for our outdoor game if that's happening too. Because they're not just going to have 2 jerseys for next year.

According to Tom Gazzola yesterday they will only be rocking the new home and aways for next season but 24-25 (2 years from now) they are planning something "out of the box" (paraphrasing). It was on the Oilstream podcast.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
According to Tom Gazzola yesterday they will only be rocking the new home and aways for next season but 24-25 (2 years from now) they are planning something "out of the box" (paraphrasing). It was on the Oilstream podcast.

Juuuust when we finally revert back to the best and common sense solution that shouldn't be diverted from we have to go and outthink ourselves on the uniforms again.

Like why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad