Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Tkachev (UPD: Ineligible to sign NHL contract; Draft Eligible 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
there is a positive here potentially. it Tkachev personally decides that he want to be an oiler he can express that in his predraft interview process, say he is going to play in the khl as he has had many offers and he doesnt want to play in the nhl. then call macT and be all sike i want to play for oilers. we take him in the 6th round instead of some 20 year old Junior B player form sask and then we all laugh when he scores 50 in 38 games in his rookie season with the oilers.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
there is a positive here potentially. it Tkachev personally decides that he want to be an oiler he can express that in his predraft interview process, say he is going to play in the khl as he has had many offers and he doesnt want to play in the nhl. then call macT and be all sike i want to play for oilers. we take him in the 6th round instead of some 20 year old Junior B player form sask and then we all laugh when he scores 50 in 38 games in his rookie season with the oilers.

Not going to happen. Somebody will draft him, probably somewhere around the 4th round depending on how good his season is in the Q. He's not going to say that he wont report and if he plays a year in the Q nobody is going to think he wants to bolt back to the KHL without even taking a shot at the NHL. Could be the Oilers could be someone else and he probably never gets 38 games in the NHL unless he grows a lot.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
Tkachev on his instagram account;
"Edmonton thanks for the invitation to training Camp! I am very grateful for the leadership of such a chance! I had the best camp I immediately liked it very much and I'll be happy to return back to the team for next season!"

Poor kid, nice to see that he was happy just to be there and would welcome a return if we draft him but damn, he must have been so sad waiting outside Rexal for his mom to pick him up and take him to the airport.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Tkachev on his instagram account;

Poor kid, nice to see that he was happy just to be there and would welcome a return if we draft him but damn, he must have been so sad waiting outside Rexal for his mom to pick him up and take him to the airport.

Link?

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site

Can Tkachev elect not to re-enter the draft, play a full season in NA and then sign with the Oilers next Summer? Just curious how that works. If he HAS to re-enter the draft or not. Maybe MacT offers him a better $ deal if he takes this route? /wishful thinking

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Can Tkachev elect not to re-enter the draft, play a full season in NA and then sign with the Oilers next Summer? Just curious how that works. If he HAS to re-enter the draft or not. Maybe MacT offers him a better $ deal if he takes this route? /wishful thinking

The NHL has no opt-out process. If you want to play in the league, you must go through the draft.

What's going to happen is, he'll have his season and he'll get on the draft board somewhere. The Oilers will take him two rounds earlier than that, assuming he doesn't have a 120 point season and get himself into the top-30 somehow.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder what kind of pick we need to set aside in order to be sure to draft him. Would a third rounder be good enough?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Even if you already went through the draft once and went unselected?

If he played a full year, he could have been signed. He didn't, so he didn't qualify under an obscure clause that originated from the 1994 CBA.

If he plays a full season this year, goes through the draft and nobody selects him, the Oilers can sign him.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I understand your frustration but that is not even in the same area code as making sense.

An undrafted player will now be getting a serious look by many NHL teams, can't get any less complicated.

First, you're foolish if you think Tkachev will be a 1st rounder as an undersized overager, even with the preseason success and skill.

And being anything other then a 1st rounder (and in some cases a 1st rounder) doesn't guarantee a contract will be coming, but the Oilers contract was an actual contract and actual money, right now, for this kid.

Don't call anyone else foolish when you can't read. You mean that Oiler contract that he could never have anyways? Ok.

So you think there was someone better the Oil could have given those minutes to at camp? Because really, that's the only difference.
It gave the Oil a first hand look at a player they may draft next year. Nothing else matters as no other team could sign him either so people like you are looking for any reason to crap on the team..even when there isn't actually a reason except in some folks own minds.

The team, and every other team in the league, is in the exact same position now as it was before training camp with regards to this player. He simply couldn't be signed, no matter how hard some fans want it to have happened.

If the Oilers were seriously interested in him they should have waited til next draft to grab him with a 7th round pick, good luck getting him there now. The Oilers just showcased an interesting prospect for the entire league to make a grab for, such philanthropists those Oilers. :laugh:

His agent did nothing, let alone get him drafted in the first 3 rounds next year.

Got him a show in the big league, there are piles of undrafted kids who would sell their left nut for such a chance.

Right. He should thank him for costing him 50k this year. Job well done I say.

50K he could never had? Rethink that one.

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
If he played a full year, he could have been signed. He didn't, so he didn't qualify under an obscure clause that originated from the 1994 CBA.

If he plays a full season this year, goes through the draft and nobody selects him, the Oilers can sign him.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. I knew that was what was holding him back from signing this Summer, but thought it might be different next year with a full year in the Q under his belt. I figured since he already went through the draft once, that would open up his options. I guess he was treated as a European prospect last year and will be a NA prospect this year, forcing him to go through the process twice. Kind of sucks for him. Hopefully he still ends up an Oiler. Was very impressed by him at camp.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wonder what kind of pick we need to set aside in order to be sure to draft him. Would a third rounder be good enough?
If you're Craig Mactavish, realistically how high would you draft this kid? After what he showed at camp would he take him as high as the second round? I'm not sure about a first round pick but it wouldn't surprise me if he was taken in the second.

Cizin

Jun 30, 2013
there is a positive here potentially.
Another positive is that the Oilers have demonstrated a willingness to look at (and sign:() Russian players. Anton Slepyshev's decision for his next contract is an immediate possibility.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
An undrafted player will now be getting a serious look by many NHL teams, can't get any less complicated.

Don't call anyone else foolish when you can't read. You mean that Oiler contract that he could never have anyways? Ok.

If the Oilers were seriously interested in him they should have waited til next draft to grab him with a 7th round pick, good luck getting him there now. The Oilers just showcased an interesting prospect for the entire league to make a grab for, such philanthropists those Oilers. :laugh:

Got him a show in the big league, there are piles of undrafted kids who would sell their left nut for such a chance.

You don't really get it, do you?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Last time I checked this isn't the thread for Habs fans to insult the Oilers. We get it. You think it is funny. Time to move on because at this point nothing will happen until next June.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Tkachev - 7 pts in 2 games now that he's back in Moncton.

The Lalonde - Barbashev - Tkachev line is dominant when they are on the ice. On the PP they are scoring 40-50% of the time.

Moncton played Val D'or tonight. Our 7th round pick (Bouchard) was in goal and looked ok in case you were wondering. :)

Edit. : Bouchard looked awful in the shootout.

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Regarding the whole "we showcased him to the entire league for free" thing, the silver lining on that cloud is that while the rest of the league had a chance to see him from the periphery (assuming all 29 teams were even paying attention) of this drama, the Oilers got a closer insight into him than anyone else. They not only saw how he played in the games, but they saw how he was in practice, how he interacted with his teammates, and overall got a better chance to know what he's about than any other team did.

So yeah, everyone got a look...but the Oilers got the best look. So there's that I guess.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
**** it... choose him with their 1st round pick in the next draft.

With the Oilers picking at #30... not like there will be a sure thing at that point anyway. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad