Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Tkachev (UPD: Ineligible to sign NHL contract; Draft Eligible 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Alot of finger pointing to go around in this mess!

Starting with:

1) I blame Stu Macgregor and group for not being better scouts and finding gems like Tkachev in 2014 Draft. Being a small player skilled player shouldn't matter look at history: Martin St Louis, Theo Fleury, and Brian Gionta! WE NEED NEW SCOUTS GROUP!!

2) I also blame MacT for not double checking Bill Scott work to make sure there was no issue with the CBA with invites!

3) Tkachev's Agent! seriously! dude that's your player and your getting tons of money for know that kind of stuff! how can you not know about the rules of the CBA regarding your own player??!?

4) Kevin Lowe lol! :help:

128g7.jpg

**** my mind exploded because this situation!

Well now can McSuck for McDavid. lol!

I agree with this point. Aside from first 2 rounds, useless. And even with the second round, they have been suspect.

But wait, we must draft that overage goalie with poor stats.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Why did we draft those useless over agers when there was an over PPG guy available? Why not take a flyer on him instead of those over aged prospects that produce nothing?

Oilers are terrible at the draft I said it like 4-5 years ago and people would post pictures up of Teemu Hartikainen trying to look smart. Where is he now?

McStanley

Dec 8, 2005
Why did we draft those useless over agers when there was an over PPG guy available? Why not take a flyer on him instead of those over aged prospects that produce nothing?

Oilers are terrible at the draft I said it like 4-5 years ago and people would post pictures up of Teemu Hartikainen trying to look smart. Where is he now?

I guarantee you that if the Oilers would have drafted Tkachev there would be 30 pages of people asking why the Oilers drafted another 140 pound skilled wimp when we have so many of them. The vitriol spewed would have ruined the entire draft.

The Oilers didn't pursue Tkachev it was the other way around. A coach and agent asking for an invite. His agent's job is to find places for his bread winners to play. If he doesn't even know where he is eligible to play, then he is not a good agent. The Oilers mistake is they assumed the agent knew what he was doing.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Well, it says "full season". So if you read it one way, if he got injured and missed 5 games for Moncton, would he be considered eligible or not? He didn't play every game.

I have a question - did he actually have TOI for the KHL games or was he just on the roster and practicing? If he didn't actually play in the KHL games, you could make an argument he didn't play in a foreign league (not sure if MHL counts).

I think full season isn't intended to mean that the player has to be on the roster for any set number of games, it just means that he must have only played in North America during the past full season. There is a distinction between players from NA and those from Europe in that undrafted NA players are eligible at age 18 and Euros not until they are 22. European players cannot get around the age requirement by moving to NA at the end of a season.

I don't think the problem is that Vladdy didn't play enough games in Moncton, its that he played any games at all in Europe and he is under 22.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Why did we draft those useless over agers when there was an over PPG guy available?
Same question could be asked to the other 29 teams.

what cracks me up most about this is that in the past 4 seasons this has happened three previous times--if it was the first time for anyone in the league--then we go oops--but three other teams also did it and the nhl nuked the contracts--Oilers need to start paying attention to the mistakes other teams make--we make enough all by ourselves without adding the same mistakes other teams area making
Probably because it is so minor that it flies under the radar. Its not like it was newsworthy when it happened before and it not like GMs are going to share or discuss something this minor at the GM meetings, or a memo isnt going to get sent around the league.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Each team has a CBA expert. A guy whose job it is to comb through the agreement and know every minor detail, and if he doesn't know, find out.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=715820

Continue to blame the NHL if you want but it's the Oilers and ultimately MacTavish and Lowe who is to blame here.

Out of curiosity, why did you vote that this is the worst GM screw-up in the entire NHL of the last decade on the Polls board? You are the only one who voted that.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
3) Tkachev's Agent! seriously! dude that's your player and your getting tons of money for know that kind of stuff! how can you not know about the rules of the CBA regarding your own player??!?

His agent just got him drafted in probably round 3 next year and a pile of publicity. He doesn't give two ***** about Edmonton, Tkachev should be kissing his agents ass for pulling a fast one on this incompetent organization.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
His agent just got him drafted in probably round 3 next year and a pile of publicity. He doesn't give two ***** about Edmonton, Tkachev should be kissing his agents ass for pulling a fast one on this incompetent organization.

Honestly, the fact that this got nixed makes a lot more sense now. I couldn't figure out why Tkachev agreed to such an offer when he could probably get more next season but it all makes sense now. The agent definitely knew.

On another note, if you guys still care about Tkachev, he's playing tonight and tomorrow on Rogers(for those with the Super Sports pack) and the QMJHL also has a free stream for the month of October so you can check him out online.

Oct 15, 2008

Right. He should thank him for costing him 50k this year. Job well done I say.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Out of curiosity, why did you vote that this is the worst GM screw-up in the entire NHL of the last decade on the Polls board? You are the only one who voted that.

Cuz he's a flames fan first

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

His agent did nothing, let alone get him drafted in the first 3 rounds next year.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

So you think there was someone better the Oil could have given those minutes to at camp? Because really, that's the only difference.
It gave the Oil a first hand look at a player they may draft next year. Nothing else matters as no other team could sign him either so people like you are looking for any reason to crap on the team..even when there isn't actually a reason except in some folks own minds.

The team, and every other team in the league, is in the exact same position now as it was before training camp with regards to this player. He simply couldn't be signed, no matter how hard some fans want it to have happened.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
50 K? From where?

It's actually $55K from the signing bonus he would get each year of the deal. The Agent should have known as well.

This wasn't calculated, it was a **** up all-around, the only loser was Tkachev, because he as the play the entire year before having a chance to get a contract.

Also remember, being drafted doesn't guarantee a contract, it guarantees rights retained.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Honestly, the fact that this got nixed makes a lot more sense now. I couldn't figure out why Tkachev agreed to such an offer when he could probably get more next season but it all makes sense now. The agent definitely knew.

On another note, if you guys still care about Tkachev, he's playing tonight and tomorrow on Rogers(for those with the Super Sports pack) and the QMJHL also has a free stream for the month of October so you can check him out online.

I know this is a narrative that is an attractive one to believe, but in all honesty I don't think it holds up to much scrutiny.

For it to be true, this agent would not only have been not fully up front with the team negotiating with him for his client's services, but he would have to have been hiding things from his own client.

When you look at Tkachev's interview (the one where Yakupov's translating his answers to the media's questions), the kid had a smile a mile wide. He literally looked like he was having the best day of his life. There is NO way I could ever believe that this 18 year old kid didn't think that he'd just signed a perfectly legitimate contract.

If this agent was trying to manipulate the Oilers into giving his agent a tryout and willingly went through a contract negotiation with them, knowing full well it wouldn't be worth the paper it was printed on, then he did it without letting his client in on the joke...and potentially risking his client's career prospects in the process by having him play all out for a contract that could never happen.

THAT is worth being fired for, regardless of whatever contract his client may or may not sign a year from now.

That said, I think the more realistic scenario, which isn't nearly as interesting but seems more likely, is that it was a simple human error by him and the team. No more, no less.

I think this whole situation sheds light on the fact that numerous teams don't read the fine print of the CBA with as much vigor as fans think they do.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

First, you're foolish if you think Tkachev will be a 1st rounder as an undersized overager, even with the preseason success and skill.

And being anything other then a 1st rounder (and in some cases a 1st rounder) doesn't guarantee a contract will be coming, but the Oilers contract was an actual contract and actual money, right now, for this kid.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
It's actually $55K from the signing bonus he would get each year of the deal. The Agent should have known as well.

This wasn't calculated, it was a **** up all-around, the only loser was Tkachev, because he as the play the entire year before having a chance to get a contract.

Also remember, being drafted doesn't guarantee a contract, it guarantees rights retained.
The moment Tkachev went undrafted he was ineligible to sign a NHL contract so he lost nothing. But he did show well in the Pre season games and i'm sure alot of teams have an eye on him now and that will improve his stock in this upcoming draft.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I know this is a narrative that is an attractive one to believe, but in all honesty I don't think it holds up to much scrutiny.

For it to be true, this agent would not only have been not fully up front with the team negotiating with him for his client's services, but he would have to have been hiding things from his own client.

When you look at Tkachev's interview (the one where Yakupov's translating his answers to the media's questions), the kid had a smile a mile wide. He literally looked like he was having the best day of his life. There is NO way I could ever believe that this 18 year old kid didn't think that he'd just signed a perfectly legitimate contract.

If this agent was trying to manipulate the Oilers into giving his agent a tryout and willingly went through a contract negotiation with them, knowing full well it wouldn't be worth the paper it was printed on, then he did it without letting his client in on the joke...and potentially risking his client's career prospects in the process by having him play all out for a contract that could never happen.

THAT is worth being fired for, regardless of whatever contract his client may or may not sign a year from now.

That said, I think the more realistic scenario, which isn't nearly as interesting but seems more likely, is that it was a simple human error by him and the team. No more, no less.

I think this whole situation sheds light on the fact that numerous teams don't read the fine print of the CBA with as much vigor as fans think they do.

Well said..

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006

I understand your frustration but that is not even in the same area code as making sense.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006

Tkachev missed out on the signing bonus. He was also exposed to the risk of suffering a serious injury in camp or an exhibition game when there was no way that risk could be justified by the possibility of being offered a contract. The idea that his agent did this deliberately and that the Oilers management were the only ones who didn't know what was really going on may be consistent with the narrative some of us, for reasons I don't understand, want to spin but it is not credible at all.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The moment Tkachev went undrafted he was ineligible to sign a NHL contract so he lost nothing. But he did show well in the Pre season games and i'm sure alot of teams have an eye on him now and that will improve his stock in this upcoming draft.

Yes, and one would think his agent would know that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yes that was a Giant mistake by his agent. But some people were saying he lost out on the signing bonus which he was ineligible to get in the first place.

From his perspective, looking at his agent, he did, because he signed a contract with different information.

I understand "technically" he couldn't have ever signed a contract, but he (likely) wasn't aware of this until the contract was denied, so from his perspective he lost $55K because he had the information that was allowed to sign a contract at the time.

Does that make sense, because that's the way I see it, if I were Tkachev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad