Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Ryan Mantha

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If all goes well for Jones he could be a Sekera level defender IMO. Chip in some offensively but not a 50 point D.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If all goes well for Jones he could be a Sekera level defender IMO. Chip in some offensively but not a 50 point D.

Thats similar to what I see in him. I think he's potentially a better skater than Sekera though and may be a little more creative with the puck, but has limited offensive potential due to his shooting ability.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thats similar to what I see in him. I think he's potentially a better skater than Sekera though and may be a little more creative with the puck, but has limited offensive potential due to his shooting ability.

If he reached that caliber it'd be one hell of a pick by our scouting department. Naturally it'll be years before he's even close to reaching that potential. Looking forward to seeing how he and Bear transition to Bakersfield next season as well as Mantha.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Perhaps I see more in Jones than some on the offensive side. I think his skating and ability to fake to open lanes has the potential to be a decent offensive D at the NHL level if he makes it (i.e. 25-30 point D who doesn't play the PP). I think where he struggles is that his shot is not great, but he does have some good offensive instincts, good hands, good vision, and great skating that has the potential to translate.

I agree though a D like Mantha has the potential to bring more offensively due to his one-timer and offensive instincts, especially on the PP and joining the rush.

Watching Jones play, I agree with this analysis. Obviously a prospect is just that, a prospect, and it's difficult to predict their future with certainty, but I wouldn't be surprised if Caleb put up good offensive numbers in the Pros. The one thing that sets him apart from our other offensive D prospects (other than skating) is that he's a driver from the back end; at the junior level he often creates offence for himself or his teammates. This is also indicated through his primary assists.

I have to admit I don't know too much about Mantha, but a lot of what I am reading on this thread is encouraging. We should have monster defensive depth in the A next year :yo:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
We might be walking away from 2 of Musil, Simpson, Oesterle and Laleggia next year.
Simpson and Musil seem to be career AHLers at this time.

Laleggia has converted quite successfully into a scoring LWer. We'll be walking away from Musil and I can see Oesterle

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Jones, Bear and Mantha are solid D prospects...but the lack of mentions of John Marino is disappointing. This kid is gonna be a good one.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Jones, Bear and Mantha are solid D prospects...but the lack of mentions of John Marino is disappointing. This kid is gonna be a good one.

I like that pick. A long shot but still promising. Probably not a lot of talk because hes only a freshman. 11 points in 28 games is solid for a freshman and he was good in the beanpot

4 years down the road I think well have something

But Jones/Bear/Mantha are doing some big things in their leagues right now. Pretty good D prospect pool

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
When highlights are out from this afternoons Ice Dogs game watch his assist on goal #3 for Niagara. Amazing play. (it makes up for some horrible turnovers)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
"Niagara IceDogs captain Ryan Mantha was the top individual winner by appearing in the Top-3 in four different categories including first place votes as Most Improved and Best Defensive Defenceman"

Also first place in best offensive Defenceman and top 3 in best shot voting.

Wow. Looks like we might have signed our RHD stud.

In Chia we trust. I sense a trade for one with a year left this offseason

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
With him Bear and Benning we look pretty good on the right side moving forward.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
We have a pretty good pipeline of RHD.
Next Year: Bear, Mantha
Following Year: Berglund
Year following that: Possibly Marino.

Likely with a college signing or trade sprinkled in there somewhere as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad