Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Ryan Mantha

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Only stayed for the first period. He got in a fight early and destroyed his opponent. Great shots, positioning and poise on the powerplay. Awful backchecking and play in his own end. The first Kitchener goal was all on him.

How was his skating?

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I guess I picked a good game to watch Mantha.

This is one of the most entertaining games I've seen all year.

Mantha has a goal and two assists. The goal was outstanding and same with one of the assists.

He's had some issues defensively today, but he has been phenomenal offensively, really pushes the pace.

Skating not nearly as bad as I remember either.

Still one period to go.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I guess I picked a good game to watch Mantha.

This is one of the most entertaining games I've seen all year.

Mantha has a goal and two assists. The goal was outstanding and same with one of the assists.

He's had some issues defensively today, but he has been phenomenal offensively, really pushes the pace.

Skating not nearly as bad as I remember either.

Still one period to go.

Mantha with another nice goal.

The offensive tools are all there. Its going to come down to his defensive game, skating, and compete level imo to whether he becomes an impact D at the NHL level.

Had one of his assists taken away.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
9-7 final, shots 60-36 for Erie. Imagine letting in 7 goals and still having an .883 SV%. Mantha took almost 20% of his team's shots

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Ice Dogs win 9-7 against one of the best junior teams in the country in Erie.

Shots were 60-37 fort the Otters.

Mantha finishes with 2 goals 1 assist 7 shots. As McFlyingV said above one of his earlier assists got taken away.

Both of his goals and his assist were very nice. No cheap points for him.

He is absolutely dynamic offensively at this level. Outstanding.

Defensively he wasn't great, but by no means was he a trainwreck and keep in mind Erie is an offensive powerhouse.

He wasn't super physical, but in some games earlier this year i saw he was so i know he has that element in his game.

Last point skating is not as bad as I thought. He is actually quite fast in a straight line, however his lateral movement needs major work.

Overall extremely fun game to watch and it was good to see Mantha do well.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
9-7 final, shots 60-36 for Erie. Imagine letting in 7 goals and still having an .883 SV%. Mantha took almost 20% of his team's shots

Pretty big win for the Dogs.

Sorry belair. ;)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Honestly I am fine with Mantha just being a offensive D. Develop that as much as you can. We have defensive D in spades in AHL/junior/NHL

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
Defence can be improved. Offensive skill and IQ not so much. Does he look like a smart player offensively rather than a guy who can pass a bit and have a good shot?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why settle for Justin Schultz when you can develop a Colton Parayko? Makes no sense.

He better work on his defensive game.

Just develop the offensive game as much as possible while you can. they when maxed out switch to focusing on defense. This is his first year exploding offensively. Develop and harbour that when he goes into the AHL his rookie year. Take the leash off and let him explore offensively. Offense is SO hard to develop from D

Once offense is developed start to focus on rounding out the player and making them good at D.

If you focus on developing defensive game to soon, especially at the expense of offense, you run the risk of not developing offense, and also defense never comes around ever. So instead of having a really good offensive D, you have a pure AHL D with good 2 way. So instead of Schultz you have Taylor Fedun

Just my 2 cents anyway. Ill trust Oilers org for development

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Defence can be improved. Offensive skill and IQ not so much. Does he look like a smart player offensively rather than a guy who can pass a bit and have a good shot?

From my limited viewings yes, very smart offensively. Knows when to jump into the play and where to be, has good vision both on breakout passes and in the offensive zone, and knows how to set up to let his one-timer rip.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Shot reminds me a ton of Parayko. One-timer's are one of his elite qualities IMO.

That's good stuff. I'm so glad to have a defenseman in the system besides Bear who has legit offensive upside. I feel like defense and skating can be worked on over time but offensive talent isn't something that can be taught. This was my favorite Oiler addition of the deadline, love signings like this.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That's good stuff. I'm so glad to have a defenseman in the system besides Bear who has legit offensive upside. I feel like defense and skating can be worked on over time but offensive talent isn't something that can be taught. This was my favorite Oiler addition of the deadline, love signings like this.

I think Jones has offensive upside as well, albeit maybe more at even strength than on the PP.

Mantha is a shot generating machine and generally lets hard low one-timers go. He's the ideal type of D for a left-handed PP QB. He's always looking for the one-timer and isn't shy to use it multiple times on the same PP.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think Jones has offensive upside as well, albeit maybe more at even strength than on the PP.

Mantha is a shot generating machine and generally lets hard low one-timers go. He's the ideal type of D for a left-handed PP QB. He's always looking for the one-timer and isn't shy to use it multiple times on the same PP.

Jones is a solid 2 way defender, I don't see big offense from him at the next level. He's probably the most polished of the prospects with the best chance for a pro career but more in a defensive role IMO.

Mantha seems to have real good offensive tools. Any defenseman at that size who has a big shot and good offensive instincts has boom potential. He's a longshot of course but it's good to have one of these in our system, can't remember the last time we had one especially on the right side.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Jones is a solid 2 way defender, I don't see big offense from him at the next level. He's probably the most polished of the prospects with the best chance for a pro career but more in a defensive role IMO.

Mantha seems to have real good offensive tools. Any defenseman at that size who has a big shot and good offensive instincts has boom potential. He's a longshot of course but it's good to have one of these in our system, can't remember the last time we had one especially on the right side.

Perhaps I see more in Jones than some on the offensive side. I think his skating and ability to fake to open lanes has the potential to be a decent offensive D at the NHL level if he makes it (i.e. 25-30 point D who doesn't play the PP). I think where he struggles is that his shot is not great, but he does have some good offensive instincts, good hands, good vision, and great skating that has the potential to translate.

I agree though a D like Mantha has the potential to bring more offensively due to his one-timer and offensive instincts, especially on the PP and joining the rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad