Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Ryan Mantha

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Good job to balance out the Leftorium.

I honestly don't mind taking a look at overagers. There's lots of guys who make progress at 19 or 20 who just don't have it together in their draft year. Particularly on D.

This guy must have been growing like a weed and I'd bet that could affect coordination, foot speed, etc.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I like this. Don't know too much about him but that Otten scouting report is very intriguing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Chia really has his peaks and valleys. Signings like this is why we appreciate Chia. And then he has his blunders. I guess you win some you lose some.

I see very few blunders on his resume in his time here. Reinhart, backup goalie situation and ???

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Free asset, I'll take it.

How come we can sign him at this time of year, but Tkachev we couldn't.

I really don't remember too many signings at this time of year out of the CHL.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Good tools. Great Character. Could have been traded to a contender in his final year but wanted to stay and help the ice dogs make the playoffs. They may still miss.

That said, I dont see an NHL player here

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Next year Oilers will have Bear, Jones AND Mantha as AHL rookies. There has to be turn over somewhere. Currently for D prospects they have Reinhart, Osterle, Musil, Simpson. Maybe Osterle or Reinhart makes it as 6/7 D in NHL next year

Simpson-Reinhart
Musil-Mantha
Jones-Bear

Thats a pretty young D

Honestly it's just nice to have that type of issues at defense. Hopefully we can have a similar issue at center in the near future.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Next year Oilers will have Bear, Jones AND Mantha as AHL rookies. There has to be turn over somewhere. Currently for D prospects they have Reinhart, Osterle, Musil, Simpson. Maybe Osterle or Reinhart makes it as 6/7 D in NHL next year

Simpson-Reinhart
Musil-Mantha
Jones-Bear

Thats a pretty young D
Isn't Osterle a UFA?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Thats crazy that hes 1st OVERALL in the WHL in shots (Otten has #2 but since then hes first with 281). Hes averaging 4.8 shots per game which is outstanding. Almost 20 more than 2nd place and 150 more than 2nd place on his team. Hes like the Brent Burns of the OHL in terms of shots

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Good tools. Great Character. Could have been traded to a contender in his final year but wanted to stay and help the ice dogs make the playoffs. They may still miss.

That said, I dont see an NHL player here

Is it the skating that makes you think that or are there other facets of his game that you think won't translate?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Simpson-Reinhart
Musil-Mantha
Jones-Bear

Thats a pretty young D

Don't forget about Paigin, who‘s a decent bet to cross the pond too.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I see very few blunders on his resume in his time here. Reinhart, backup goalie situation and ???

More like you win some, you win some, you win some, you lose one small one, you win some more, you win some more, you lose another small one, you win some more.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Hard to complain about this signing and the amount of shots he takes is very intriguing.

Not to change the subject but now I want Chiarelli to sign this years top UFA college defensemen, Daniel Brickley. Yes he's a left handed shot but he is 6'3" and over PPG in just his second season at the NCAA level.

Jun 9, 2011

Chia probably made this move to make hfoil happy... We all love our prospects and potential...

make a hockey trade to help the team and then sign shiny looking WHLer to make the fans happy :)
Having a full prospect pool makes me happy :nod:

Chia really has his peaks and valleys. Signings like this is why we appreciate Chia. And then he has his blunders. I guess you win some you lose some.
Agree. This signing right on the heels of the Davidson trade takes the sting out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hard to complain about this signing and the amount of shots he takes is very intriguing.

Not to change the subject but now I want Chiarelli to sign this years top UFA college defensemen, Daniel Brickley. Yes he's a left handed shot but he is 6'3" and over PPG in just his second season at the NCAA level.

At some point I think we start not being the option for these guys.

Going into this year it made sense for guys to come here as we had glaring holes where they could get into the NHL now. Next year however how much room is there going to be?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Free asset, I'll take it.

How come we can sign him at this time of year, but Tkachev we couldn't.

I really don't remember too many signings at this time of year out of the CHL.

Off the top of my head, it was because Tkachev had been in the MHL before coming over to North America.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Off the top of my head, it was because Tkachev had been in the MHL before coming over to North America.

So why haven't we seen other CHL players sign during the year? Or have we and I just don't pay attention.

Just seems knew.

eidt: Gotta add the k

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
At some point I think we start not being the option for these guys.

Going into this year it made sense for guys to come here as we had glaring holes where they could get into the NHL now. Next year however how much room is there going to be?

Maybe, but the D depth in the prospect pool has dramatically increased. The days of Musil and Simpson and Laleggia are coming to an end. Martha, Lagesson, Paigin?? who else can we add? D prospects are ALWAYS valuable.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe, but the D depth in the prospect pool has dramatically increased. The days of Musil and Simpson and Laleggia are coming to an end. Martha, Lagesson, Paigin?? who else can we add? D prospects are ALWAYS valuable.

Oh they are. I just don't know that guys are going to choose us anymore. If they want to play is Edmonton going to be the place they choose or do they see a log jam and go elsewhere.

Also Laleggia is a forward now I believe

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
So S7ark was the insider and played it like it was another anonymous poster? :sarcasm:

Haha. I can't take any credit. I have no sources at all. An HFOilers poster with knowledge about the situation PM'd me about it. They said I could post it so long as it didn't get back to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00