Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers sign Puljujarvi to ELC

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I didn't realize he held true to his rules and didn't give adam larsson any bonus money when he signed... took a while but eventually larsson signed and got no bonus money while with NJD

Sounds like a great way to piss off a future franchise player. I don't get the strategy there - the only way the bonuses max out is if all the performance bonuses are achieved. If the performance bonuses are achieved, you've probably had a performance worth more than most guys getting 3.75 mil.

Just a dumb principle. I get that the guy is a legendary GM, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me there's anything positive to this strategy.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Sounds like a great way to piss off a future franchise player. I don't get the strategy there - the only way the bonuses max out is if all the performance bonuses are achieved. If the performance bonuses are achieved, you've probably had a performance worth more than most guys getting 3.75 mil.

Just a dumb principle. I get that the guy is a legendary GM, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me there's anything positive to this strategy.

Ya it's a different story IMO with a franchise center top pick. He's gotta give him the bonuses... anyways, I'm happy for JP and all the others that have signed and I hope Lou caves soon or else I can see ownership stepping in and telling Lou to just get it done and stop being a moron

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Agreed.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
He could create a new Lindros situation if he tries that with Matthews. :laugh:

Matthews shouldn't sign until he gets those bonuses. I don't get why he won't just give him them, every other high pick gets them.

He's potentially the face of the franchise for a long time and is going to be the main part of their young core and he can't give him what every other pick gets?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Ya it's a different story IMO with a franchise center top pick. He's gotta give him the bonuses... anyways, I'm happy for JP and all the others that have signed and I hope Lou caves soon or else I can see ownership stepping in and telling Lou to just get it done and stop being a moron

Agreed.

I had no idea that Lou would pull that crap with a 1OA. You have to feel for Leaf fans, to have that doubt in the back of their mind after all the excitement and hype. I'm sure it gets done but not a great way to start off a relationship.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

He'll probably be in the AHL for half the season regardless for cap reasons.

if he looks like he can be an impact middle 6 player then he should stay with the team, otherwise Eberle-Yak-Kassian-Pak down the right side. Would love a Hudler signing

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
After all the leaf fans saying guys like stamkos,tavares,subban etc will bail on their teams and sign in toronto it would be kinda funny if Lou being so cheap caused Matthews to demand a trade.

As a player I would fight for those bonuses. One bad injury and your career is done, then the organization kicks you to the curb. take the money while you can

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Matthews shouldn't sign until he gets those bonuses. I don't get why he won't just give him them, every other high pick gets them.

He's potentially the face of the franchise for a long time and is going to be the main part of their young core and he can't give him what every other pick gets?

Doesn't make any sense tbh. I don't think the Leafs are going to be in any worry of cap overages during his contract, and the organization has no problem paying players salaries to acquire assets.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Every U-20 coach (besides the Finnish one) is crossing their fingers that he makes the NHL rather than gets to play at WJC again.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
matters what his conditions are mcdavids were super easy to make drai basically had to go to the all star game and win the calder to get his.

McDavid's were easy to hit? He had to either finish top 10 in G/A/P/PPG, finish top 5 in selke/hart voting, be a first or 2nd team all-star, or win Calder (I think, Calder isn't showing on general fanager likely because he's no longer eligible) to hit his schedule B bonuses which are 2/3 of his eligible bonuses. I'm pretty sure Draisaitl has pretty much the same conditions for his schedule B bonuses, and Puljujarvi's likely will also be the same.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
McDavid's were easy to hit? He had to either finish top 10 in G/A/P/PPG, finish top 5 in selke/hart voting, be a first or 2nd team all-star, or win Calder (I think, Calder isn't showing on general fanager likely because he's no longer eligible) to hit his schedule B bonuses which are 2/3 of his eligible bonuses.

77 points or 33 goals.

Lowest paid player over either line was Brad Marchand with 4.5mil. Pavelski and Wheeler where 5.6 and 6mil.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
His stick handling was quite suspect this past season, but once he gets used to his new longer stick he's going to be a force.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
77 points or 33 goals.

Lowest paid player over either line was Brad Marchand with 4.5mil. Pavelski and Wheeler where 5.6 and 6mil.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. McDavid is the only 1st overall in the last decade that could have hit those types of numbers in his rookie year. There shouldn't be any worry of Puljujarvi hitting his unless he wins the Calder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad