Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Multiple AHL Depth Players

North

Jun 25, 2009
Also I'm not sure there's even a forward prospect down there worth being worried about ice time over. Gambardella and Laleggia seem like the only two with even a glimmer of hope to play NHL games and they were getting plenty of ice time last season.

They needed some veteran defense since Betker was the only guy on the roster with pro experience and he shouldn't be anywhere above the ECHL. Stanton and Lowe should be good for Jones, Bear, Paigin and Mantha.

I think the main issue was how he deployed Puljujarvi.

It didn't seem to make much sense.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Let's look at the Condors roster (assuming Khaira and Puljujarvi make the Oilers):

Laleggia Downing Callahan
Hamilton Gambardella Rattie
Christoffer Platzer Ferlin
Polei Chase Russell

Simpson Stanton
Lowe Mantha
Jones Fayne
Paigin Bear

Looks a little crowded on D, but looks like a solid group. I guess Fayne, Stanton, or Simpson could stick with the Oilers with Sekera out. Maybe Paigin starts in the ECHL to get used to the NA game.

They could probably use another centre.

I think Rattie and Simpson will start the year up on the main club as scratches alongside Pakarinen, giving Pulju an opportunity on the Condors' top line:

Hamilton-UFA-Puljujarvi
Laleggia-Gambardella-Callahan
Polei-Downing-Ferlin
Christoffer-Platzer-Russell
Chase Gust Butcher

Stanton-UFA
Jones-Fayne
Lowe-Mantha
Bear Paigin Betker

Ellis
Pasquale
Starrett

I imagine we'll see two more AHL-only deals- one for a veteran C, and one for an established puck-mover. We've always had both to help the young guys along; it's just a matter of who remains on the market in August.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
^

That is a terrible group of forwards in terms of NHL prospects. Outside of Pulju who may or may not start in the NHL next season there is legit nothing there lol.

Yikes.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Stanton-UFA
Jones-Fayne
Lowe-Mantha
Bear Paigin Betker

I imagine we'll see two more AHL-only deals- one for a veteran C, and one for an established puck-mover. We've always had both to help the young guys along; it's just a matter of who remains on the market in August.
There's always a delicate balance between playing your prospects and having a winning team in the AHL but I'd be really worried if Paigin and Bear start the season outside the top 6 in the AHL. Both are legitimate prospects and both need to get consistent icetime.

I'd be fine with Paigin or Mantha potentially starting the year in the ECHL but Bear was the WHL defenceman of the year - he needs to get regular minutes and time on the powerplay to show what he can do. If he and Jones aren't both regulars on the powerplay, we've done something wrong. I'm not really sure why we signed Lowe when we already have Stanton, Fayne, and Simpson as tweener fringe guys. I'm a lot higher on Simpson than most, but I could easily see him starting the year as the #6/7 guy for the Oilers next season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There's always a delicate balance between playing your prospects and having a winning team in the AHL but I'd be really worried if Paigin and Bear start the season outside the top 6 in the AHL. Both are legitimate prospects and both need to get consistent icetime.

I'd be fine with Paigin or Mantha potentially starting the year in the ECHL but Bear was the WHL defenceman of the year - he needs to get regular minutes and time on the powerplay to show what he can do. If he and Jones aren't both regulars on the powerplay, we've done something wrong. I'm not really sure why we signed Lowe when we already have Stanton, Fayne, and Simpson as tweener fringe guys. I'm a lot higher on Simpson than most, but I could easily see him starting the year as the #6/7 guy for the Oilers next season.

Yeah. I'm not really sure why we'd sign another d-man for the farm team at this point.

Lowe/Simpson/Stanton/Fayne (I assume he'll be the #7 to start the year) are more than enough in terms of AHL vets to help bring along Jones/Bear/Paigin/Mantha

Jones-Simpson
Stanton-Bear
Paigin-Lowe/Mantha

With Fayne as the #7 until Sekera is back.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
^

That is a terrible group of forwards in terms of NHL prospects. Outside of Pulju who may or may not start in the NHL next season there is legit nothing there lol.

Yikes.

I think that we should give Gambardella a chance. Sounds like a hard working guy that just got out of college and joined the team late in the year.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
^

Yikes.

It would be a worry if the Oilers didn't have so many young forwards on the NHL roster.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It would be a worry if the Oilers didn't have so many young forwards on the NHL roster.

Yeah but there is also the concern that we've got basically no insurance down there in case of injury in the lineup this year. Last year we had lander, slepy, khaira and pulju down for large parts of the season and we had flexibility in case of injuries or in case one of the rookies or other guys started to underperform. I don't see any type of insurance down there right now. Maybe ty rattie I guess. But he had an abysmal year last year so it's not like he's a sure bet. I just don't see anyone down there pushing for ice time with the big club.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yeah but there is also the concern that we've got basically no insurance down there in case of injury in the lineup this year. Last year we had lander, slepy, khaira and pulju down for large parts of the season and we had flexibility in case of injuries or in case one of the rookies or other guys started to underperform. I don't see any type of insurance down there right now. Maybe ty rattie I guess. But he had an abysmal year last year so it's not like he's a sure bet. I just don't see anyone down there pushing for ice time with the big club.

Mitch Callahan is a really good AHL player who could step in as a call-up.

You're right. The depth isn't great. Rattie, Callahan, Leleggia will probably be their only options. I'm sure they're still looking to add a centre.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
It seems to be Detroit model. Chia wants the farm team to be successful and a kind of place where he can educate prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00