Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Multiple AHL Depth Players

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
i'm actually surprised by this because he had apparently said he didn't want to be drafted by the Oilers in the 2011 draft because of hometown pressures to live up to his father or some such thing and 6 years later here he is.

Im sure he figured his career would turn out differently than it has. Now he's gotta do what he's gotta do.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Anyone with insight into any of these guys?

Ty Rattie (RW)
Mitch Callahan (RW)
Brian Ferlin (RW)
Grayson Downing (C)
Edward Pasquale (G)
Keegan Lowe (LD)
Ryan Stanton (LD)

Downing doesn't have a Wikipedia page.

Between them their fathers have six Stanley Cup rings. :sarcasm:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Rattie is the highest upside of all these guys and it isn't even close. If someone goes down on the right side he's likely 1st or 2nd callup. Lots of talent but hasn't been able to put it together at the NHL level.

Stanton had a couple decent seasons with the Canucks. Could conceivably be a callup/injury replacement. NHL experience is a plus.

Callahan is a VERY good AHL forward. In classic Detroit fashion he's played most of six seasons in Grand Rapids. He was great in the playoffs for them and should push for a bottom 6 spot with Pakarinen.

Seems like Pasquale has been around forever, but he's only 26. Should push Ellis for starts - he's a .920 goalie at the AHL level.

Downing I don't know much about. Decent AHL centre. Had a good year in 15-16, regressed a bit last season. Decent size.

Ferlin was a good prospect at one point. Chia drafted him in the 4th round. Must have seen something he liked. He's got size and isn't shy to battle. Missed just about all of last year due to injury. Has played a grand total of 25 AHL games the last two seasons, kid can't stay healthy. Tough luck.

Last but not least, Keegan Lowe fulfills the 'one ex Oil King in the organization at all times' requirement. Very tough and steady at the AHL level, worthwhile depth guy to insulate the rookies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Even though they are AHL filler at this stage.... I'd rank them like this as to their current chances of cracking the NHL...

Stanton

Callahan
Ferlin

Rattie
Pasquale

Lowe

Downing

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I dont care about the ex-Oil Kings thing.
But signing Keegan Lowe was just stupid.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Ferlin is kind of interesting.

He's 25 years old, but has barely even played one full season worth of pro games since leaving Cornell because of injuries.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
My own issue is that Fleming already seemed to overplay AHL vets over developing prospects.

This could be more of the same.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My own issue is that Fleming already seemed to overplay AHL vets over developing prospects.

I don't even really get why Fleming is still here. He's been with our farm team for 10 years and we've developed almost no one down there. You'd have thought at some point Chiarelli or McLellan would have wanted to put someone else in place down there that they can choose themselves.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I'm not sure that's really by choice.

The prospects that actually seemed to belong in the league(Pitlick, Slepyshev, Khaira, Laleggia) have got plenty of ice time under him.

Guys like Moroz, Chase and Platzer could barely handle any minutes let alone major minutes.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Also I'm not sure there's even a forward prospect down there worth being worried about ice time over. Gambardella and Laleggia seem like the only two with even a glimmer of hope to play NHL games and they were getting plenty of ice time last season.

They needed some veteran defense since Betker was the only guy on the roster with pro experience and he shouldn't be anywhere above the ECHL. Stanton and Lowe should be good for Jones, Bear, Paigin and Mantha.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
As long as they don't try to shoe horn him onto the roster ( a la Will Acton), I'm fine with Keegan Lowe as a Condor.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Let's look at the Condors roster (assuming Khaira and Puljujarvi make the Oilers):

Laleggia Downing Callahan
Hamilton Gambardella Rattie
Christoffer Platzer Ferlin
Polei Chase Russell

Simpson Stanton
Lowe Mantha
Jones Fayne
Paigin Bear

Looks a little crowded on D, but looks like a solid group. I guess Fayne, Stanton, or Simpson could stick with the Oilers with Sekera out. Maybe Paigin starts in the ECHL to get used to the NA game.

They could probably use another centre.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Keegan Lowe is a good shutdown Dman at AHL level don't see why people are upset with this.
Sure, but you and i both know thats not the issue.
Sign him to an AHL contract or let him sign with one of the other 30 clubs. Theres no reason to be making moves like this after the last decade + of nepotism and bad decisions.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
As long as they don't try to shoe horn him onto the roster ( a la Will Acton), I'm fine with Keegan Lowe as a Condor.

McLellan gonna tell the world that Keegan needs to find a place to stay in Edmonton? :)

Top 10 Eakins moment IMO was when he said that about Acton, after we spent our entire training camp trying to figure out our 4th line. Oh the good old days.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sure, but you and i both know thats not the issue.
Sign him to an AHL contract or let him sign with one of the other 30 clubs. Theres no reason to be making moves like this after the last decade + of nepotism and bad decisions.

Avoiding a decent AHL player because of his last name seems like more of a bad decision.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Let's look at the Condors roster (assuming Khaira and Puljujarvi make the Oilers):

Laleggia Downing Callahan
Hamilton Gambardella Rattie
Christoffer Platzer Ferlin
Polei Chase Russell

Simpson Stanton
Lowe Mantha
Jones Fayne
Paigin Bear

Looks a little crowded on D, but looks like a solid group. I guess Fayne, Stanton, or Simpson could stick with the Oilers with Sekera out. Maybe Paigin starts in the ECHL to get used to the NA game.

They could probably use another centre.

Stanton likely to start with Oilers too I imagine (as a #7) unless something else happens. I think Puljujarvi ends up back in the ahl (or I think he should).
Oil might force him to stay up again fromlack of rw depth. I'd like to see him dominate at the AHL level before coming up or at least start the year there...

Last edited:

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Avoiding a decent AHL player because of his last name seems like more of a bad decision.

The Oilers just signed an AHL defenseman at AHL money, who is a character player, a leader, hardworking, tough, and smart to mentor our 4 young dman prospects, and HF Boards cheers

Mention that his last name is Lowe and half of HF Boards loses their minds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad