Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Mikko Koskinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Certainly this is commonly thought now but I don't know that the right parameters for accessing goalies are all there. Its a very complicated position, confounded by multiple styles existing. Even within goalies and goalie coaching circles its a confusing craft and not without some advice that starts to resemble superstition. Indeed its a position that selects for superstition because some shots you just won't save without some luck. So that goalies are told such things as don't open your body up, keep arm tightly against side, seal post etc, to the degree that they become rigid cardboard cutouts (Dubnyk here) and stop making reaction stops and glove stops for fear of opening up their form.

No position in the sports world is subject to more happenchance than goaltending. 2-3 deflections and puck goes in? better to just forget about it, but it gets in heads. Make 6 stops in a row on pucks you know you didn't see, you expect luck is going to run out..The goalie position basically creates superstition, creates subjective mindsets, and strategems that arguably counter each other. I think goalies getting hot is a result of finding the right form that works for them for awhile and combined with confidence that the puck is hitting them. Its classic "In the zone" thinking. What it also does is being hot stops their being too much processing. Goalies that are hot make innate stops. They track puck well, it becomes a basketball, and they see everything. They routinely make stops that at other times would feel like difficult stops. They become fearless, for awhile. It stops as soon as it starts.

This is why in goalie analysis I don't look at just the stats. I like to look at form. how the goalie plays, their technique. Not what is working in it but what can work in it. Do they seal post well, can they handle puck well. What does glove hand reaction look like, what does mechanical mobility across crease look like. When moving across how well do they seal 5 hole and then seal near post?

I think coaching should be about a certain type of mechanics like above. But all too often I feel that goalie coaching can also counter what the goalie was good at in the first place. If I'm in the business of speaking with goalies I would have them get back to their baseline when struggling. Even get them to keep diaries and video of when they are doing well. To look at what has changed.

Goaltending looks like voodoo because I think there is still lots to substantiate in the position and lots that is confusion or even superstitious to those even involved. Sorry for writing a book here. ;)

Pffffffttt yeah right, writing novel posts on HFOil is one of your favourite pass times ;) (I enjoy them FTR)

I agree though. The position is very poorly understood and IMO the scandanavnians have done a much better job developing goalies lately so if we're taking fliers on goalie bets, I'm glad they're at least Scandanavnians.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I feel like Koskinen has done enough for us to at least be cautiously optimistic about the addition.

His playoff and international numbers are downright stupid. Basically video game numbers.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Step 1: Enter thread
Step 2: Determine the consensus opinion on the subject matter at hand.
Step 3: Adopt the opposite

4. After a few thousand word essay like posts admit that you’ve never seen the player play and relate the topic to Draisaitl in some way.

Reactions: TB12

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I think that Koskinen performed well at the Olympics is likely what drove up interest. The NHL will be tougher though and until you see how he does against NHL competition you really don't know whether it was a good signing or not. If he's bad at least they still have Montoya to start the season, but then you're obviously wasting cap space on a failed goaltending gamble.

From the sounds of things leading up to the signing Koskinen was a hot commodity, so hopefully that bodes well for his performance. Unless somebody has seen much of his play in St. Petersburg though and can gauge that vs. NHL goaltending then speculating on whether he will pan out or not is nothing better than a statistical guess. If Koskinen doesn't pan out however then I think it's fair to question whether the professional goalie scouts the team is employing are doing a good enough job (assuming that is that Chia is using their assessments to inform his decisions) given that they've gone through several weak backups recently.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I’m fine with taking the risk on Koskinen- could be a find. Why he had to be paid that kind of cash, unbelievable... there couldn’t have been a bidding war for the guy.. Chia got bent over.....

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I’m fine with taking the risk on Koskinen- could be a find. Why he had to be paid that kind of cash, unbelievable... there couldn’t have been a bidding war for the guy.. Chia got bent over.....
That’s Chia's MO.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'm still somewhat torn on this signing. On one hand, it's a one year deal, and there's a chance that we found a diamond in the rough that can provide value. And in the event it's a dud signing, atleast it was only a 1 year deal.

On the other hand, $2.5M is a lot of cash for a goalie who has next to zero experience in the NHL. We could have just as easily ran with Montoya and used the $1.5M in savings to fill gaps elsewhere in the line-up.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
what you guys fail to understand is that if he's good then its great but if he's not good then we just send him down, he terminates his contract and back to the KHL he goes. This a good gamble by chai, if he's good then he's worth the money, if he shits the bed then money is off the books. But lets bash Chai some more :)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
what you guys fail to understand is that if he's good then its great but if he's not good then we just send him down, he terminates his contract and back to the KHL he goes. This a good gamble by chai, if he's good then he's worth the money, if he ****s the bed then money is off the books. But lets bash Chai some more
Would help if there was any goalie signed after this year. Goaltending is a huge question mark for this team. If this guy fails then fine whatever but if Talbot fails too the Oilers are up a creek.

Also nice to step into a thread and have nearly an entire page dedicated to one poster. I'd love to get that kind of off topic treatment.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Would help if there was any goalie signed after this year. Goaltending is a huge question mark for this team. If this guy fails then fine whatever but if Talbot fails too the Oilers are up a creek.

Also nice to step into a thread and have nearly an entire page dedicated to one poster. I'd love to get that kind of off topic treatment.
Really don't see a lot better options this summer. Talbot failing is going to be an issue regardless of who the backup was going to be this year.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
what you guys fail to understand is that if he's good then its great but if he's not good then we just send him down, he terminates his contract and back to the KHL he goes. This a good gamble by chai, if he's good then he's worth the money, if he ****s the bed then money is off the books. But lets bash Chai some more :)

It's a decent gamble if cap space wasn't a challenge for us, but $2.5M for an unproven back-up really limited our ability to fill other holes.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Really don't see a lot better options this summer. Talbot failing is going to be an issue regardless of who the backup was going to be this year.
This always seems to be the excuse. "No better option".

Best case scenario is that Talbot bounces back and last year was just an off year. Hopefully even if he falters this guy picks up the slack.

The main issue is that the Oilers have zero goalies signed after this year, and there's nobody in the pipeline ready to take up the reins. What is their plan if Talbot isn't up to snuff again? Some guy with 4 NHL games on his resume? For 2.5? If that was over 2 years that's perfect. For one? Doesn't seem like a good idea.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
So at what point does Koskinen cover the bet on a 2.5M contract?

Anders Nilsson signed for 2 x 2.5M AAV last off-season after putting up a .923 SV% and 2.67 GAA in 26 games in Buffalo then kinda shit the bed in Vancouver last year. Anton Khudobin also signed for 2 x 2.5M AAV this year on July 1st after putting up a .913 SV% and 2.56 GAA in 31 games for Boston.

So say if he has a league average .917 SV% over 25 games (17-20 starts) then this could be considered a good signing by Chia?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This always seems to be the excuse. "No better option".

Best case scenario is that Talbot bounces back and last year was just an off year. Hopefully even if he falters this guy picks up the slack.

The main issue is that the Oilers have zero goalies signed after this year, and there's nobody in the pipeline ready to take up the reins. What is their plan if Talbot isn't up to snuff again? Some guy with 4 NHL games on his resume? For 2.5? If that was over 2 years that's perfect. For one? Doesn't seem like a good idea.
Would you feel better if they signed Koskinen to a two year deal instead? And extended Talbot now?

Worry about next year when it's actually an issue.

Really don't see how having UFA goalies it's such an issue. Who cares if the backup is signed?

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta

It's a decent gamble if cap space wasn't a challenge for us, but $2.5M for an unproven back-up really limited our ability to fill other holes.

I understand where you guys are coming from, but can it really hurt ? What if Kos is Chai's new Thomas ? Can you say for certain that he will not turn out ? I don't mind the gamble and would like to see him in the NHL before any judgement

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Anders Nilsson signed for 2 x 2.5M AAV last off-season after putting up a .923 SV% and 2.67 GAA in 26 games in Buffalo then kinda **** the bed in Vancouver last year. Anton Khudobin also signed for 2 x 2.5M AAV this year on July 1st after putting up a .913 SV% and 2.56 GAA in 31 games for Boston.

So say if he has a league average .917 SV% over 25 games (17-20 starts) then this could be considered a good signing by Chia?
Is it considered good if he gets less games, but Talbot is doing well due to some healthy competition?

Granted the board would never give that kind of credit.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Anders Nilsson signed for 2 x 2.5M AAV last off-season after putting up a .923 SV% and 2.67 GAA in 26 games in Buffalo then kinda **** the bed in Vancouver last year. Anton Khudobin also signed for 2 x 2.5M AAV this year on July 1st after putting up a .913 SV% and 2.56 GAA in 31 games for Boston.

If he puts up .917 SV% over 25 games that would be a great signing or at least a great sign. The Oilers back-ups last year faced 586 shots in 1209 minutes for a combined SV% of .892. Those numbers would have cut 14-15 goals off the goal differential and probably earned the team another 10 points or so in the standings. A signing that earns you ten points is huge! But it is quite unlikely that he will hit those numbers.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad