Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Ill bet 6,000,000 bitconnect coins
6998012_700bwp.webp

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
IMO at some level someone in the org had to have liked him as our back-up/potential #1 if Talbot falters better than the options in the UFA market. If he bombs that person should be held accountable. If he does well, that person should get a raise!
yes, personally I don't think we should bet our entire team's future on Talbot, and #1 goalies are not in large supply. Getting a guy like Lehtonen might have been more of a sure thing to be a back up than Koskinen, but if that's our philosophy then we might as well have just rolled with Montoya. Imo, even if Koskinen is a dud, it was worth it to try to find someone who could challenge Talbot, and if we need to we could always call up Montoya to be backup if Koskinen is a total disaster.

I do have an issue with the cash it took, but only because we are stuck now trying to re-sign Nurse. So I am eagerly waiting to see what Chiarelli does with Nurse. If we get a good solution with him, then I don't see any downside in the Koskinen gamble.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
yes, personally I don't think we should bet our entire team's future on Talbot, and #1 goalies are not in large supply. Getting a guy like Lehtonen might have been more of a sure thing to be a back up than Koskinen, but if that's our philosophy then we might as well have just rolled with Montoya. Imo, even if Koskinen is a dud, it was worth it to try to find someone who could challenge Talbot, and if we need to we could always call up Montoya to be backup if Koskinen is a total disaster.

I do have an issue with the cash it took, but only because we are stuck now trying to re-sign Nurse. So I am eagerly waiting to see what Chiarelli does with Nurse. If we get a good solution with him, then I don't see any downside in the Koskinen gamble.

IMO the real issue with the Nurse situation is the Russell NMC that was given out knowing that Nurse's deal would be up this year.

Reactions: Aerchon

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
IMO the real issue with the Nurse situation is the Russell NMC that was given out knowing that Nurse's deal would be up this year.
Well, it looks like maybe there was a plan but that the numbers came up a little short, considering that we seem really close to being able to sign Nurse to the number we want, and maybe are 1-1.5 million short. I think there was a miscalculation somewhere, like maybe 4.5 x 8 years would have been enough for Nurse, or maybe that the cap would go up a bit more. I actually like Russell, and NMC or not I think it is best to keep him for the 2018-19 season. For the season after though... Imo either Sekera or him are gone, or both.

I'm just hoping that Russell's NMC has an expansion draft exemption. If it doesn't... no one will trade for him. Or at least that Seattle doesn't come in too quickly.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
Signing Koskinen was such cluster***k. Should have put the money into Hutton or Khudobin, jettisoned Cagguila and Strome, and signed Neal.

Scary how much improved Calgary is, let alone Buffalo.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Signing Koskinen was such cluster***k. Should have put the money into Hutton or Khudobin, jettisoned Cagguila and Strome, and signed Neal.

Neal has been cast off by two successful orgs in the last two years. I highly doubt he moves the dial, and he is likely to look like the Lucic contract in a couple of seasons.

They gave up the best player by far in the Hamilton deal as well.

I don't see the big improvement.

Reactions: slim2001

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017

LOL. I love how much people praise CGy for losing a top defending goal scorer for "potential". Oh, but Lindy has "potential". So does Hanifin. Guys have done jack sh** thus far.

Neal can score, but the Flames are such a bad defensive team. They also have that steam head, selfish, injury prone buffoon in net who choked harder than Jenna Jamison down the stretch, much like the whole team.

But yup, they are MASSIVELY improved..Sounds like Elliot Friedman lol

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Let's see in 24 months how Neal is doing

You are assuming Neal would sign here

Neal will be 35/36 when his contact ends.

For us to sign Neal it was Lucic who we needed to move

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would've liked to have seen Neal here but we didn't have the cap for it and IIRC many here said that he would never sign in Canada. That said we have the playmaking centers to really bring out the best in a player like Neal IMO. I wonder how well Neal does if he isn't on a line with Gaudreau who is by far their best playmaker?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Scary how much improved Calgary is
How? Outside of Neal they didn’t move the dial much. Didn’t have a pick till the 4th round. Lost Hamilton plus Gio and Smith aren’t getting any younger. I think they’ll be better but not by a scary amount.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Last season chia doesn't get a back-up for Talbot. People complain. This season chia gets a back-up for Talbot. People complain...

I think it was a good signing. Spend a little more for a guy with lots of experience and still young enough to play 5 or 6 more seasons in the NHL, if it works out.

100% agree. Some people are freaking out about the price as though this was the contract that handcuffed this team. The guy has been very good in the KHL, and while it can be deemed a slight overpay for a player outside the NHL, it is only a one year deal. As well, we weren't the only team bidding on him.

We're actually in a favourable position with our goaltending - 2 guys battling for the starting job AND their next contract. If both play mediocre, we aren't tied down to either (though I hope one or both shine).

As for those complaining about his age, there was a fella named Dominek Hasek who didn't make the NHL until 26, and wasn't a starter until 28. He's arguably the greatest goalie of all time. Tim Thomas wasn't an NHL regular until age 31. Won a cup and 2 Vezinas. By no means am I saying this is what I expect from Koskinen, just saying players (goalies especially) all have different development curves. A previous poster pointed out Dubnyk's rebirth, another great example.

I am excited about Koskinen pushing Talbot, as well as having an everyday Finn in the locker room for Puljujarvi - especially one that didn't have immediate success in his early career.

Reactions: Cypress and Aerchon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
100% agree. Some people are freaking out about the price as though this was the contract that handcuffed this team. The guy has been very good in the KHL, and while it can be deemed a slight overpay for a player outside the NHL, it is only a one year deal. As well, we weren't the only team bidding on him.

We're actually in a favourable position with our goaltending - 2 guys battling for the starting job AND their next contract. If both play mediocre, we aren't tied down to either (though I hope one or both shine).

As for those complaining about his age, there was a fella named Dominek Hasek who didn't make the NHL until 26, and wasn't a starter until 28. He's arguably the greatest goalie of all time. Tim Thomas wasn't an NHL regular until age 31. Won a cup and 2 Vezinas. By no means am I saying this is what I expect from Koskinen, just saying players (goalies especially) all have different development curves. A previous poster pointed out Dubnyk's rebirth, another great example.

I am excited about Koskinen pushing Talbot, as well as having an everyday Finn in the locker room for Puljujarvi - especially one that didn't have immediate success in his early career.

I think if one infers that Koskinen will push Talbot, and that we're in a favorable position with goaltending and two guys battling for a starting job than one likes the deal. its not a given, at all, that Koskinen is even better than Montoya. (not that I'm advocating his continuation either)

Frankly, and sorry, I find the notion that Koskinen is immediately battling with Talbot for a starting position completely unfounded. This may be they way its being framed by the team, and even Talbot, but its just the kind of things you say. Everybody is hoping Koskinen comes here and pushes much of anything.

If a person doesn't buy all the above, and I don't, than the $ spent for a clear NHL backup is questioned. The latter also being a polarized view, but one that hasn't yet been dispelled. Koskinen has never been a valid NHL goalie and failed on his first attempt and hadn't even tried again till lately. I guess we're hoping to hit a homerun here..

ps being "very good" in the KHL, a vastly inferior league, that only has 2-3 competitive sides, and Koskinen is on a dominant side, is not indication of all that much. He doesn't even have to stop some of the most talented players that were playing in the league. To wit both goalies playing on that team had identical numbers in the last season.

Last edited:

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
A guy who couldn’t cut it in the NHL, plays well in some substandard European league, then comes back to play at a MASSIVE salary that has zero justification doesn’t inspire me to instant stardom. Honestly, why Chia caved and paid this unproven “gem” so much is beyond me. Who else was
Going to pay him like an established vet??? No team. Unbelievable. Now everyone on here is talking Koskinen up like he’s going to just be a #1 goalie... if only that simple.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A guy who couldn’t cut it in the NHL, plays well in some substandard European league, then comes back to play at a MASSIVE salary that has zero justification doesn’t inspire me to instant stardom. Honestly, why Chia caved and paid this unproven “gem” so much is beyond me. Who else was
Going to pay him like an established vet??? No team. Unbelievable. Now everyone on here is talking Koskinen up like he’s going to just be a #1 goalie... if only that simple.

The justification that some other club was going to be in the running for the player is what is most uninspiring. Because the same has been used constantly with every addition here from Ben Eager to Pouliot to Ference to Lucic, to Nillson. Its always the same "yeah but other teams were interested so the Oilers are right to sign him" Theres other teams in the league almost as clueless and desperate as the Oilers. I'm not sure if it ever means much more than that.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Going to pay him like an established vet??? No team. Unbelievable. Now everyone on here is talking Koskinen up like he’s going to just be a #1 goalie... if only that simple. It won’t be that simple. Cap disaster

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Apologies for the double post, now I can’t even go in and edit it.... I get that the Oilers have to overpay to get guys, but this takes it to a new level.... Sorry but Koskinen should be happy with league minimum in the NHL... or don’t play here FFS

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Going to pay him like an established vet??? No team. Unbelievable. Now everyone on here is talking Koskinen up like he’s going to just be a #1 goalie... if only that simple. It won’t be that simple. Cap disaster
I agree that he is overpaid, but at only 1 year I wouldn't worry too much about it. It amounts to a 1 year tryout. It is only head scratching to me because we are trying to re-sign Nurse and now it is more difficult.

As for the cost, I'd think of it like how we signed Schultz. He was unproven to that point, just a prospect with some high end potential, and there was a bidding war for him for sure. It is possible that many NHL teams were scouting Koskinen, and that other KHL GMs were willing to pay him.

Chia inherited a poor prospect pool. He wanted someone to challenge Talbot, but it's not like he could be like Tampa and call up Vasilevsky to let Bishop go. The benefit of a great prospect pool is that you get to try out high end talent at a great bargain. Chia was only given Brossoit, who bombed, but he still needs that role to be filled. And yes, despite his age, Koskinen amounts to a prospect. No one is touting him as a #1 goalie like you are saying. However, he is like a high end goalie prospect. He could be a total dud, sure. I disagree that it is bad management, and in fact I'd like Chia to continue to take these low-risk gambles.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Problem with the one year contract is either he blows at $2.5, or he is awesome then is asking for $6 next year... then what do you do with Talbot... I know, if he’s awesome it’s a good thing, but Chia essentially gifted Koskinen a massive contract with zero risk to him - all the risk is on the team. No prove it to me, and he does good he gets PAID next year. Bad asset management.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Problem with the one year contract is either he blows at $2.5, or he is awesome then is asking for $6 next year... then what do you do with Talbot... I know, if he’s awesome it’s a good thing, but Chia essentially gifted Koskinen a massive contract with zero risk to him - all the risk is on the team. No prove it to me, and he does good he gets PAID next year. Bad asset management.

Don't know when 2.5 million became a massive contract. It is probably a similar amount that he was getting paid in the khl.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Hutton is OK but nothing special. Khudobin is typically bad and not worth pursuing imo. Someone mentioned Lehtonen, heck no.

Jettison Cagullia, absolutely. Strome, what you smoking? Ditto signing Neal and saying Calgary improved.

Oilers improved just as much relatively speaking with just with Reider and Brodziak.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Don't know when 2.5 million became a massive contract. It is probably a similar amount that he was getting paid in the khl.

Well considering the cap situation and that Nurse needs a deal, I'd say spending $2.5 million on a completely unproven backup goalie who flaked out of the NHL last time was a luxury the Oil cannot afford... Could have had any one of a number of far cheaper backup goalies. Need to develop a pipeline, which I see starting now... 5 years too late.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well considering the cap situation and that Nurse needs a deal, I'd say spending $2.5 million on a completely unproven backup goalie who flaked out of the NHL last time was a luxury the Oil cannot afford... Could have had any one of a number of far cheaper backup goalies. Need to develop a pipeline, which I see starting now... 5 years too late.

Who were the far cheaper backups that were available this offseason?

Hutton signed at $2.75M, Khudobin at $2.5M, Bernier at $3M, Halak at $2.75M, Ward at $3M.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Who were the far cheaper backups that were available this offseason?

Hutton signed at $2.75M, Khudobin at $2.5M, Bernier at $3M, Halak at $2.75M, Ward at $3M.

Lehner and Mrazek both signed for 1.5M. Of course they're both coming off down years, but they've also both proven they can play at a high level in this league. There would have been a risk with either of them, but not necessarily anymore so than an unproven KHL goalie. Plus they were both a million cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad