Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Mike Smith to 1-Year Deal ($2M)

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Welp, I didn’t really get a chance to see the Oilers in the 80’, glad I get to see them now.

Every game will either be won or lost 7-5 or something.

Reactions: Giggleplex

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Safe to say that Ken Holland tried elsewhere and it didn't workout. You can't make players want to come to Edmonton. This signing is after the better goalies were gone.

I think this is a more consequence of not buying out Neal. The money would have been there then for a Greiss type. We're going backwards in goal if this is the plan.

Reactions: foshizzle

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Think of it this way. This might be his last kick in the can. I am hoping Smith will put everything left in the tank into this season and plays steller for us throughout the season and playoffs.

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
I’m fine with it. Smith was good for us last year in the regular season. It’d be nice if we could have got him for less, but goalies are the one position that seems to be getting paid like normal. His long history with Tipp means it was always a likely outcome.

Koski is the one we need to worry about upgrading. Not his backup

"Good for us in the regular season". I can't come anywhere close to agreeing. Smith is a train wreck.

Holland had an amazing free agency thus far, but getting Smith back stinks. Not many other options available though.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Koski for Kuemper is cap neutral

a trade still makes sense. We need to upgrade Koski. Smith is just the backup, and he’s one that the coach is familiar with
Why does Arizona trade 1 for 1 for Kosk, absolutely no upside for them. Maybe with a sweetener but not 1 for 1.

Reactions: Dave Chung

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Rask, Rinne, Andersen, Binnington, Allen, Dubnyk, Raata, Grubauer, Mrazek
Rask is likely retiring, Rinne is too old, Binnington re-ups with the Blues, Allen isn't a starter, no thanks to Dubnyk, Raanta too injured, Grubauer is meh, Mrazek is meh/bad.

Only one I'd be fine with is Andersen.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Think of it this way. This might be his last kick in the can. I am hoping Smith will put everything left in the tank into this season and plays steller for us throughout the season and playoffs.

Or another way to look at it is that no matter how he plays and what he does, we will sign him again next summer for 2M :)

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Lol oh no.....whatever we made the playoffs last year.
I ain't gonna shit on Smith.
Other than the time we lost game one and tippet didn't pull him until the 30th goal was scored into the second period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad