Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Mike Smith to 1-Year Deal ($2M)

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
Sounds like Holland circled back to him after he exhausted his options. I wonder if it would've better (at least a bit cheaper) if he waited a bit longer though.

canhi80

Sep 28, 2020
Ideally, the plan would be to have him take a lesser role this season. At least he's not loaded up with bonuses this time around.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Smith at two million with no performance bonuses would be a decent deal. Last year we were screwed with Tippet trying to get Smith to hit every performance milestone.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Yikes, to not upgrade and not even shave $500K off Smith's salary from last year when he was one of the worst in the league? Not great by Holland unless Koskinen is headed out shortly for an upgrade who can play 60+.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If it's a short season they may get lucky with Smith, but obviously would've been nice if they went in a different direction.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Sounds like Holland circled back to him after he exhausted his options. I wonder if it would've better (at least a bit cheaper) if he waited a bit longer though.

That's a risk he could of taken, but then Smith might of signed elsewhere.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yikes, to not upgrade in goal and not even shave $500K off Smith's salary from last year when he was one of the worst in the league? Not great by Holland unless Koskinen is headed out shortly for an upgrade who can play 60+.

Wasn't Smith's cap hit higher than 2 with the bonuses?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Considering who was left, Smith was probably the best option out there.

I definitely would have preferred a guy like Greiss, but considering the Turris and Barrie signings I'm really happy with how FA has went.

I would have preferred Greiss as well, but he got as much as Barrie. I just don’t see how we could afford him

As you said though, we’re down to like Dell, Howard, and Smith. The grass definitely isn’t always greener, so this is probably the right call

Reactions: TB12 and Llamamoto

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
And we go from the high of the Barrie signing...to the low of this, lol.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me so much as long as we're not expecting Smith to play equal minutes w/ Koskinen. If they've decided to go with Koskinen as their #1 guy, then Smith as the #2 playing backup minutes isn't the worst thing in the world.

But heaven help us if Koskinen gets hurt for any length of time.

Reactions: Oilhawks and ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ugh. Oh well. The rest of the roster is arguably improved.

Holland clearly did try to improve goaltending but wasn't willing to overpay

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad