Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Iiro Pakarinen

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That scout from Florida had good things to say about him on Gregor's show. Needed to work on skating and something else, but has come a long way. Plays a never back down style which I liked to hear.

Now the question is whether or not this kid and play that style in North America.

In the end it's just another depth move, but eventually you hope to hit a homerun with one of these moves. Can't expect to get a homerun if you don't step up to the plate. We saw what Arcobello could do last year and no one ever expected him to have any sort of impact at the NHL level, but he did. If Iiro can come in for 30 games over the next couple years while playing a big role in OKC I think MacT and company would be very pleased.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
That scout from Florida had good things to say about him on Gregor's show. Needed to work on skating and something else, but has come a long way. Plays a never back down style which I liked to hear.

Now the question is whether or not this kid and play that style in North America.

In the end it's just another depth move, but eventually you hope to hit a homerun with one of these moves. Can't expect to get a homerun if you don't step up to the plate. We saw what Arcobello could do last year and no one ever expected him to have any sort of impact at the NHL level, but he did. If Iiro can come in for 30 games over the next couple years while playing a big role in OKC I think MacT and company would be very pleased.

Came here to post this. He said he was hard to play against and stood up for his teammates. I also liked the fact that he was promoted from 4th line to 2nd line at the WHC. Either way it is never a bad thing to add a quality character to your organization.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I like what I've seen so far.

Both on and off the ice.

This is a kid that wants to please.

1st game as a rook against Boston was impressive too in limited minutes. He almost scored in that game as well and could have had another last night in addition to the one he potted.

But most impressive? Theres the kid after a tough first game against the Boston Bruins and he's standing up to the microphones postgame like a veteran. :amazed:

Talking about needing to play better. I like what I sense about this player.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Both on and off the ice.

1st game as a rook against Boston was impressive too in limited minutes. He almost scored in that game as well and could have had another last night in addition to the one he potted.

But most impressive? Theres the kid after a tough first game against the Boston Bruins and he's standing up to the microphones postgame like a veteran. :amazed:

I was surprised to be reminded he's only 23. The last couple of games I had in my mind he was a 26 or 27 year old who had played in Europe for years.

But this might actually be a player here that can grow and improve. My one concern would be waiting to see what happens when the rush of being in the NHL wears off. High energy players at times have issues bringing it on a consistent basis. It's easy in your first couple games. But on a Tuesday night 10 games in against a Nashville type team can he bring the same level of compete.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Both on and off the ice.

He also shoots any chance he can get. He was basically at a shot per minute until he scored then barely got used after that. There was a shift with him and Drai where they had the puck in the zone for a good 45 seconds doing all the right things and were forced to line change and the Arco line immediately lost the zone.

He shows glimpses of a power forward game. When Hall is back Hall - RNH - Pakarainen could be what we need. A strong fast scorer in Hall, a great play maker in RNH and a strong net crashing skilled presence in Pakarainen. If what we say is true that Hall makes his line mates better then he should fit just fine on that top line as long as he keeps his effort and energy this high.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I was surprised to be reminded he's only 23. The last couple of games I had in my mind he was a 26 or 27 year old who had played in Europe for years.

But this might actually be a player here that can grow and improve. My one concern would be waiting to see what happens when the rush of being in the NHL wears off. High energy players at times have issues bringing it on a consistent basis. It's easy in your first couple games. But on a Tuesday night 10 games in against a Nashville type team can he bring the same level of compete.

Amazing maturity and nicely developed game. Kid has composure, presence, moves into good areas and supports puck possession well.

Solid couple of games. you notice him on nearly every shift.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He also shoots any chance he can get. He was basically at a shot per minute until he scored then barely got used after that. There was a shift with him and Drai where they had the puck in the zone for a good 45 seconds doing all the right things and were forced to line change and the Arco line immediately lost the zone.

He shows glimpses of a power forward game. When Hall is back Hall - RNH - Pakarainen could be what we need. A strong fast scorer in Hall, a great play maker in RNH and a strong net crashing skilled presence in Pakarainen. If what we say is true that Hall makes his line mates better then he should fit just fine on that top line as long as he keeps his effort and energy this high.

Kid looks hard to handle, play against, and even in the Bruins game.

What was most solid is how much expectation he had of his game. This is not somebody who is up for a cup of coffee. This is someone who wants to upseat somebody and make the lineup. He wants to be one of the better players on the ice.

you can just spot that verve and confidence.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton

Both on and off the ice.

I have to agree and like the positivity emanating off of you!

I'm very impressed by his play as well. To see that he played on the D on occasion for entire games in Euro impresses me as well. He could be a threat on the PP with his offensive and defensive instincts along with what looks like a really good slapper and wrister!

Should I be excited... or am I setting myself up for more disappointment? :)

McDeathbyCheerios*

Kid looks hard to handle, play against, and even in the Bruins game.

What was most solid is how much expectation he had of his game. This is not somebody who is up for a cup of coffee. This is someone who wants to upseat somebody and make the lineup. He wants to be one of the better players on the ice.

you can just spot that verve and confidence.
Kid is 6' 215, he is like a bowling ball. He hits hard to and looks like he can play a strong possession game. Still a shame he saw less then 8 minutes.

What I like is he has the drive and motivation but has success. He isn't a 4th liner with a great ethic. He is a guy that could play with great players and tries hard.

I could see him and Yak being a phenomenal right wing pair.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I have to agree and like the positivity emanating off of you!

I'm very impressed by his play as well. To see that he played on the D on occasion for entire games in Euro impresses me as well. He could be a threat on the PP with his offensive and defensive instincts along with what looks like a really good slapper and wrister!

Should I be excited... or am I setting myself up for more disappointment? :)

Its hard to find silver linings right now but this kid looks good. We need him in the lineup and standing up. He was in scrums too in his first game in the NHL.

Kid has 215lbs, skill, and balls.

He's got ingredients to be a player in the physical NHL. Stamping his ticket right now, sure hope it continues.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011

Both on and off the ice.

Iiro was a big fan favourite in HIFK. He was last season's MVP in my opinion, dude played all places except goalie and did very well :handclap: He really grew as a player and was solid as a rock, despite the team was on kinda panic mode all season.

He has a very good shot and should be used at point on PP :yo:

Iiro is very humble and hardworking person. Skating could be better, but is decent and he can deliver prettu hard hits too :nod:

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
To see that he played on the D on occasion for entire games in Euro impresses me as well.

He played as D close to 20 games last season and was often D at point on PP with his lethal shot and scored lot of goals there.. Played also good chunk of games as a center. Was also regular on PK and made it to NT. Class act all the way :handclap:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Iiro was a big fan favourite in HIFK. He was last season's MVP in my opinion, dude played all places except goalie and did very well :handclap: He really grew as a player and was solid as a rock, despite the team was on kinda panic mode all season.

He has a very good shot and should be used at point on PP :yo:

Iiro is very humble and hardworking person. Skating could be better, but is decent and he can deliver prettu hard hits too :nod:

Thanks for the comments and adding to the thread. I honestly didn't know much about this guy.

But I can sure figure how he would be a fan favorite. He's making me a fan in a short period of time. WE don't get this kind of enthusiasm here from every player. I hope he can retain it and sounds from your description that he has dealt with some team problems before.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Thanks for the comments and adding to the thread. I honestly didn't know much about this guy.

But I can sure figure how he would be a fan favorite. He's making me a fan in a short period of time. WE don't get this kind of enthusiasm here from every player. I hope he can retain it and sounds from your description that he has dealt with some team problems before.
He is a more skilled Joensuu. Playstyle wise at least.

davidsitar

Apr 12, 2011
If everyone is healthy who do you guys think he should replace in the lineup? I would rather he play over Purcell who is playing too soft for what we need I think. But with the salary Purcell makes would the coaches ever sit him?

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
If everyone is healthy who do you guys think he should replace in the lineup? I would rather he play over Purcell who is playing too soft for what we need I think. But with the salary Purcell makes would the coaches ever sit him?

Take turns sitting guys. Eberle, Purcell, Pouliot, even Draisaitl.

Not going to happen though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised to see us try Iiro on Gordon's wing at some point, in place of Hendricks or Joensuu. Not right now though. He can stay with either Arco or Drai like he is now.

As long as he keeps doing well he'll get a spot on the team. We would sit a bigger name to do so.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I wouldn't be surprised to see us try Iiro on Gordon's wing at some point, in place of Hendricks or Joensuu. Not right now though. He can stay with either Arco or Drai like he is now.

As long as he keeps doing well he'll get a spot on the team. We would sit a bigger name to do so.

No we wouldn't. This is basically the whole problem with this team.

The only thing that suggest Iiro might not be instantly sidelined is that Jari Kurri is an alumni of the OBC.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Taylor Hall as Centre experiment #2.

Yes, it didn't work out last year.

Hall is a year older and more experienced. If he comes back roaring from the knee injury let him get in a couple games then try him as C again.

It really is a best case scenario. Sit Arco. C is our area of greatest need right now. Why not try our best player in that slot again?

Last year was bad, but it was only two games. How about trying it again for three games this time?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He's putting up good results in his tiny sample of play so far... generating mega Corsi per minute all on his own. :)

There's no way they can send him down when he's looked this good so it'll be interesting to see how the wings are shuffled when Hall gets back if he keeps this up.

I'm hoping after striking out so many times recently with so many dismal/mediocre results from the previous European pickups and prospects... (Hartikainen/MPS/Omark/Belov/Horak/Larsen/Petrell)... hopefully the Oilers have finally found a gem here with Pakarinen.

So far so good... in his first 2 games. Heck that's 2 more games than Eakins had ever been head coach in the NHL and MacT game him a 4 year contract so Pakarinen should be on the verge of a multi-year extension shortly.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
That's my sense of the player as well.
I loved the way he went after every lose puck in front of the net.
It would be great if the kid turns into a pleasant surprise. The Oilers are certainly due one of those any day now ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad