Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Iiro Pakarinen

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Looks like competition for the 4RW spot on the roster. Considering Pitlick and Pinizzotto are our top candidates right now, it's probably not a bad idea to look for other options. Probably won't make the team, but you never know.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I always hope for the best with Finnish players. Still waiting for the second coming of Esa, that guy was gold Jerry, gold!!

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Maybe Mac-T thinks that signing Pakarinen might give him a boost if he is going to take a shot at signing Komarov. Both recently played together at WHC.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Says someone who doesn't know a thing about him I'm sure

Who does?

The history of these threads holds that Euro fans, no matter how acquainted with player they are have no more of a guess on how that translates to NHL than anybody else. With Euro fans arguably having less of an indication.

Its kind of a lark to see each inconsequential signing be talked up into some kind of Tikkanen.

To me anyway its that type of frothing up of ordinary prospects that's about as annoying as anything found here.

Hang around here long enough and you note that none of these off the chart signings really pan out at all here. Even if this was a ringer of a player we don't have the coaching staff to develop him into much of anything.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Who does?

The history of these threads holds that Euro fans, no matter how acquainted with player they are have no more of a guess on how that translates to NHL than anybody else. With Euro fans arguably having less of an indication.

Its kind of a lark to see each inconsequential signing be talked up into some kind of Tikkanen.

To me anyway its that type of frothing up of ordinary prospects that's about as annoying as anything found here.

Hang around here long enough and you note that none of these off the chart signings really pan out at all here. Even if this was a ringer of a player we don't have the coaching staff to develop him into much of anything.

Its true, these signings really never amount to anything. I like the GM taking shots in the dark to try and find a player but people get way too excited about nothing sometimes.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Can't remember the last time this team had a good agitator. Maybe Ethan Moreau in his early years.

Perron?
Though he seems to take more dumb penalties than he draws.

I kind of like this signing. Low risk, decent reward. He had a good last season playing in Finland and at the WHC's for Finland. He deserves a chance.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Things I like about the signing...

-He played all 60 regular season games for HIFK... shows he was depended on (never scratched) and was durable. (Although he didn't play full seasons in previous years so this one year could be an anomaly as well.)

-Played mutiple positions (Defense/Forward) which can't be a bad thing in helping his overall defensive game. This versatility probably helped in his selection to the WHC.

-Shoots Right. This may be a minor detail but the Oilers only have about 6 players on their entire roster who are right shots... always nice to add bodies that shoot from the "odd side".

-Although he only scored 30 pts in 60 games... .5 ppg... he was on a team that only scored 147 all season so that's still a 20.4% contribution rate... not bad for a player who reportedly played as a dman for a chunk of the season.

-Is still just 22 so still has some upside and potentially could still improve.

-Isn't small at 6'1" and 194lbs. Not big but at least roughly average type size... and still young enough that he could possibly put on a little more weight (optimistic outlook).

-#2 on his team in goal scoring with 20... again not bad for a 22 year old in a men's league. Liiga is a tough league to score in as the regular season leader only had 27 goals. Pakarinen was actually 9th in the entire league in goal scoring so he might have more of a goal scoring touch than it first appears.

-Minor factor but I also like the fact he had 20 goals and 10 assists... players who have more goals than assists are often decent snipers who look to shoot more than pass... and the Oilers have too many who like to pass too much already. :)

This is likely a reasonably minor signing but there are some reasons to at least be neutral on the acquisition if not highly optimistic.

I also agree that eventually one of these overseas signings HAS to turn out to be a pleasant surprise.. just due to the law of averages. Surely Oilers management can't strike out every single time... can they? :)

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
"Our Finnish scout really liked Iiro Pakarinen. 20 goal scorer where league leader had 25. Good power and bite." - MacT

Sounds like he just went with his scout's gut on this one, which is also what he did with Joensuu last summer, admitting he didn't know much about him but his scouts recommended him.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
"Our Finnish scout really liked Iiro Pakarinen. 20 goal scorer where league leader had 25. Good power and bite." - MacT

Sounds like he just went with his scout's gut on this one, which is also what he did with Joensuu last summer, admitting he didn't know much about him but his scouts recommended him.

Our Finnish scout has had nothing bud misses so far. Statistically, you'd think he'd hit a home run here.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Our Finnish scout has had nothing bud misses so far. Statistically, you'd think he'd hit a home run here.

No kidding. Our scouts have been quite mediocre at best in general.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think you guys are expecting a little too much from European free agents if you don't consider Petrell a hit.

It's not like teams are routinely plucking impact players from overseas and the Oilers are the only ones missing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Statistically if somebody loses several times in a row its not indication a winner is coming along. If anything its an indication of status quo confirmed.

I'm certainly not expecting a home run here.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Holy ****!!! A good friend of mine. :handclap:

This has potential to be a very good and underrated signing. Pakarinen reminds me a lot of Jarome Iginla, he's good skater, very physical and he has rocket of a shot. He also has good defensive abilities (he has played a lot as a defender too). On PP he is able to cause havoc and screen in front of the net or shoot hard slappers from the point.

I approve this signing. :naughty:

Youtube videos show off his laser beam shot. Very nice. He gets it away in a hurry. He can skate and use the body well apparently, so it's an interesting signing for certain. I don't know much about him.

I like moves like this. If nothing else, it demonstrates that the organization is becoming stronger. I'm liking more and more what Katz is doing with our club.:D He's building a killer organization, one that will have eyes all over the hockey world. Katz's business acumen will pay dividends for the on-ice product more and more as time goes forward.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Statistically if somebody loses several times in a row its not indication a winner is coming along. If anything its an indication of status quo confirmed.

I'm certainly not expecting a home run here.

Just let the law of averages happen here. Don't throw a wrench into my hopes here.

You're always throwing wrenches. :cry:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I think you guys are expecting a little too much from European free agents if you don't consider Petrell a hit.

It's not like teams are routinely plucking impact players from overseas and the Oilers are the only ones missing.

Agreed

I sometimes think people still think it's like the 90s over in Europe, where there are untracked leagues and unknown players toiling away in obscurity just waiting to be discovered.

It's simply not like that anymore

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed

I sometimes think people still think it's like the 90s over in Europe, where there are untracked leagues and unknown players toiling away in obscurity just waiting to be discovered.

It's simply not like that anymore

It still happens once in a blue moon. Mats Zuccarello comes to mind immediately.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Jan Hejda was a quality signing and i certainly didn't mind Thoreson. There's a chance at getting a player and that's a win IMO even if he's limited to a depth role.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I'd consider Petrell to be a bunt to 1st base at most. Jan Hejda was a good one, that was pretty much a top 4 d-man for free, but we were too stupid to keep him. I am pretty fond of Thoresen, nothing really special, but a pretty decent player I think he is still good enough to play 4th line in the NHL, but I guess he would prefer to play 1st line minutes in Europe that come with a better paycheque.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
I'll be happy if he is like Pettrell whom I liked a lot. (though others didn't)

I liked Petrell, it's just too bad he wasn't good enough.
He had heart, battled, blocked shots, but he just wasn't good enough.
All the things he could control, (effort/attitude) he had more then NHL levels, it was to god-given stuff he was lacking. So I'll never say 'he sucked', but he just wasn't good enough. Neither are 99.9% of the hockey players in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad