Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Ethan Bear to ELC

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
There's a lot to like about his game but Bear needs a lot of work on his first few steps and pivots.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
The quick forecheck is proving a bit too much for Bear right now. Would have been awesome if Portland could give up Jones to Seattle at the deadline. Bear could really use a mobile partner as an escape valve. Honestly think they could be good partners down the road.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Yikes that's a nasty looking splint on his hand. That must explain some of his struggles

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im a massive fan of Bear, but he has been awful so far at Memorial Cup. Fighting the puck, poor decisions and bad in his own end. Sure he has a broken hand, but IMO thats no excuse cause he was unbelievable VS Regina with a broken hand and played extremely better

Completely night and day with him from WHL playoffs

I know hes on a big stage for everyone to see, but believe me he is extremely better than how hes been so far this tourney. He looks extremely nervous or something

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada
Im a massive fan of Bear, but he has been awful so far at Memorial Cup. Fighting the puck, poor decisions and bad in his own end. Sure he has a broken hand, but IMO thats no excuse cause he was unbelievable VS Regina with a broken hand and played extremely better

Jesus Christ give him a break!

Pun intended

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
It look like Bear is the last man standing in the Oilers organization for summer 2017? Not a bad accomplishment!

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

Completely night and day with him from WHL playoffs

I know hes on a big stage for everyone to see, but believe me he is extremely better than how hes been so far this tourney. He looks extremely nervous or something

The whole Seattle team looks nervous and out-of-sorts. Sometimes junior teams max out just winning their league. Remember how the Oil Kings looked in the 2012 Memorial Cup after finally defeating Portland? What's happening to Bear and the rest of the Thunderbirds looks eerily familiar.

I'm still very intrigued to see how Bear turns out for the Oilers. His performance in this tournament has done nothing to change that.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
So I guess we're cheering for an Erie win today over Saint John? Then if Seattle can beat Saint John tomorrow they'd be straight into the semi-final Friday. If Saint John wins today though the best Seattle can hope for is to beat Saint John and get into the Thursday tie-breaker game.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So I guess we're cheering for an Erie win today over Saint John? Then if Seattle can beat Saint John tomorrow they'd be straight into the semi-final Friday. If Saint John wins today though the best Seattle can hope for is to beat Saint John and get into the Thursday tie-breaker game.

Ya the Tbirds are still alive... they aren't playing even close to what they are capable of. The whole team looks lost and nervous which is completely shocking to me. They were so dominant in WHL playoffs against top teams in the CHL

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Here is a piece on Bear in an article....

Bear still battling

Ethan Bear has had a tough tournament. He has struggled with the puck and has committed some uncharacteristic turnovers that have led to goals.

The WHL Defenseman of the year is still playing with an injured hand, one that required surgery prior to the finals. He has been fighting through the injury but is still wearing a protective cast on his hand.

“He ‘s the one that’s losing the most sleep over it,” Konowalchuk said of his defenseman. “But when he’s doing it with what he’s trying to play through, you don’t fault the guy. We wouldn’t be here without him. He’ll be better and we’ve got to support him better.

“The kid has so much heart and character. Then you get out there and it’s not normal. If he doesn’t have a cast, he doesn’t fumble that puck.”

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Always been a worry of mine is what he does with the puck under pressure.

Why shouldnt he be playing? He was hurt worse in the Kelowna Regina series.

Sometimes hurt players run on adrenaline for a time, it sure looks like he might have reaggravated something.

Though all the t-birds look like crap. They just want to get on their plane and go home.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Always been a worry of mine is what he does with the puck under pressure.

Why shouldnt he be playing? He was hurt worse in the Kelowna Regina series.

How do you know?

It's likely that he's only been making that injury worse by playing. He should be letting it heal instead he's pushing it during the most crucial time of his rehabilitation process. It's a pretty stupid thing to do to be honest and he will likely require more corrective surgery during the offseason. Tough spot for a kid to be in, risking more longterm effects but not many get the chance to play in this tournament and he'll never have that opportunity again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad