Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Alex Chiasson to PTO

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Wasn't he one of the coveted assets in the Spezza deal? He's always had the potential. Some players just take longer than others to put it together. Plus I'm not sure he's ever had an extended period of playing time with a playmaker as talented as Draisaitl is.

I think it would be funny if Drai made Chiasson into a 30-ish goal scorer like McDavid made Maroon into one. The reaction on the mains would be funny, anyways.
Yup he was. At one point in time Dallas fans expected him to be a top 6 player.

You and I both know they'd still find a way to claim McDavid actually made Chiasson into a 30 goal scorer because he was on the ice for 2 of his 30 goals.

Reactions: Cloned

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think he is much better hockey player then Maroon. 6'4, RH shot, fast and aggressive. Looking like a player that doesnt want to be a part of a PTO ever again.
Seems to have a better shot and is a better skater. Maroon has better hands, is better down low is a better passer and is much more physical.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I just hole that Charelli doesn't go crazy and give him something like a 3 year extension. Year by year.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Meh he's going to come back down to earth. No way a guy like him can be in the top 6 of a playoff team.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Chiasson is like a slighly faster, more mobile version of Maroon. Same type of quick hands in close. Yayy, means Chiarelli will trade him for a bag of nuts

Reactions: Oilhawks

Boom not bust

Nov 17, 2018
Edmonton
he's shooting 41% so enjoy the production while it lasts and hope others pick it up, which shouldn't be asking too much. Really good signing though, he has been impressive all around in his game.

Reactions: space321

space321

May 11, 2011
he's shooting 41% so enjoy the production while it lasts and hope others pick it up, which shouldn't be asking too much. Really good signing though, he has been impressive all around in his game.

Pretty much this. Insane hot streak he's one right now for a depth player. He's been solid all around and I certainly can't complain about his hot streak. Just hope that when he goes cold people don't start using him as a whipping boy lol.

40% is completely unsustainable. He scored 6g in 7 games in his rookie year but has averaged about 13g per 82 games since. I just pray Chiarelli just sign him to a multiyear contract.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it was Neilsen that mentioned it today, but if Chiasson just crashes the net the way he did yesterday he's going to get a lot of garbage goals.

He won't even have to shoot, just throw is body towards the net

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

It will come down of course, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it stay somewhat high. Guys playing thr garbage man role typically have higher %, because the few times they do get the puck and shoot, it's from a high danger spot.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Seems to have a better shot and is a better skater. Maroon has better hands, is better down low is a better passer and is much more physical.

Maroon was stronger on the puck and better passer. Made a fair amount of sneaky passes from behind or around net. Maroon and Chiasson though both players that were awakened offensively be seeing skill, and learning some different moves and tactics. Both determined to make themselves better players. But usually you see some rote patterns that they picked up and learned how to do. In time opponents kind of figure out players like this.

Of the two though Maroon more effective just for his strength, being imposing, hard to physically deal with. Maroon of course will always be able to bull the puck to scoring areas, something Chiasson can't do.

The other thing is Chiasson is just feeling it now. Its no more likely that it continues indefinitely than it was for Fernando Pisani. You ride the wave, but you don't count on it being there.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
1 year prove it again extension at most, 2 if he takes less $$$. Been burned by too many players over the DOD going hot for a month or two and cratering the next year

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
1 year prove it again extension at most, 2 if he takes less $$$. Been burned by too many players over the DOD going hot for a month or two and cratering the next year

2 years at $2 million AAV fair? Assuming that he keeps his level of play high of course.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
2 years at $2 million AAV fair? Assuming that he keeps his level of play high of course.
Hate to see him turn into a Kassian. And keep in mind with Kassian we gave him a one year deal before the multi year deal.

If two years maybe 1.5mil

Reactions: Jamin

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Seems like McDavid and Draisaitl have really elevated Chiasson's value. Not the most skilled guy but big and always know where to be around the net, stick down, with quick releases.

Currently signed on a 1 year 650k contract:

Alex Chiasson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If he keeps up similar play for the season, there is no doubt he wants to lock in a multi-year deal after endless PTOs. Would his ask of a 3x3 contract be out of the question?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I like how he doesn't piss around getting the puck off his stick. No dusting the puck off, preparing it for presentation and giving it a kiss before he rifles it. Just on the stick, off the stick in a flash. He could have had a hatty last night.

This guy has been like buying a mediocre looking desk at a garage sale for $10, then you find $5,000 hidden in it somewhere when you get it home.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Seems like McDavid and Draisaitl have really elevated Chiasson's value. Not the most skilled guy but big and always know where to be around the net, stick down, with quick releases.

Currently signed on a 1 year 650k contract:

Alex Chiasson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If he keeps up similar play for the season, there is no doubt he wants to lock in a multi-year deal after endless PTOs. Would his ask of a 3x3 contract be out of the question?

I really hope the Oil treat him right. He deserves it. A short-term multi-year deal would be a nice reward provided he wants to sign here.

Reactions: oil85

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have been a fan of his for a long time. Always thought he would be z very good player however. ..

I don't think he is as good as Maroon. I also think his success this year is primarily the McDavid effect.

Not sure why Chiarelli would even be interested in resigning Chaison since he obviously identified Maroon being a product of the McDavid effect.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Glen Gulaztan should be given the keys to the city for recommending we bring Chiasson in for a late season PTO and we need to send a thank you card to the team doctor who said Scottie Upshall knees were too bad to play and failed him on the physical.

Otherwise we would have Scottie Upshall patrolling the wing and not Alex Chiasson.

Thank God for 2 small miracles....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad