Speculation: Oilers Shopping 10th Overall?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think we’re at the point where it’s obvious you wouldn’t add to the 10th. I’d just like to get the point where you realize the 10th isn’t enough on a pure value basis, and that asking for more isn’t an overpayment, it’s just a payment. You might not value Barrie that highly, but the league does and that’s really the only thing that matters. Going for a Gardiner, signing a Green, or waiting 3 or 4 years for the prospect at 10 to make a contribution are the best options if you don’t want to pay the price for an established top 10 offensive dman like Barrie is. For the record, I don’t think those options are even that bad for the oilers, drafting a Smith and signing a a Green would be a solid plan.

I fully realize that you want more based on Barrie’s last season. I just don’t think that’s a fair representation of the player he is. I realize that you want 10th ++ or RNH +, I just wouldn’t offer it, and if someone else would, more power to you.

10th and something like a 2019 2nd or Tyler Benson or Caleb Jones would be as high as I’d go.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I fully realize that you want more based on Barrie’s last season. I just don’t think that’s a fair representation of the player he is. I realize that you want 10th ++ or RNH +, I just wouldn’t offer it, and if someone else would, more power to you.

10th and something like a 2019 2nd or Tyler Benson or Caleb Jones would be as high as I’d go.
Fair is whatever the league would pay, and the league has proven they would pay more than the 10th overall for a top ten offensive dman. Again, it’s not just Barrie’s last season, he’s been a top 10 offensive dman (both via 5v5 and total point metrics) for 5 years now. As high as ChaoticOrange would go and as high as the oilers would go are two different things, that’s been my point all along, asking for a price that Chiarelli would probably accept isn’t asking for an overpayment. I actually really like the RNH + 10th for Barrie + 16th. Oilers end up with Barrie + Hayton and Avs end up with RNH + Smith, I doubt Sakic would do it but I might. I think Chiarelli would personally, especially if he could snag somebody like Neal as a free agent to replace RNH’s goalscoring.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fair is whatever the league would pay, and the league has proven they would pay more than the 10th overall for a top ten offensive dman. Again, it’s not just Barrie’s last season, he’s been a top 10 offensive dman (both via 5v5 and total point metrics) for 5 years now. As high as ChaoticOrange would go and as high as the oilers would go are two different things, that’s been my point all along, asking for a price that Chiarelli would probably accept isn’t asking for an overpayment. I actually really like the RNH + 10th for Barrie + 16th. Oilers end up with Barrie + Hayton and Avs end up with RNH + Smith, I doubt Sakic would do it but I might. I think Chiarelli would personally, especially if he could snag somebody like Neal as a free agent to replace RNH’s goalscoring.

You’ve mentioned that before (just sign a UFA!) but you’re just not looking at our cap situation very clearly. The cap is not there until next offseason when we can ask Sekera and Russell for lists of teams they’d accept a trade to.

I’ve also said time and again I think his offense does not make up for the state of the rest of his game. The Avs are up and down but one constant is Barrie getting worked in his own zone.

You might think I’m being unreasonable but I’m not seeing any other Oiler fans rushing to accept 2018+19 firsts or RNH + 10 for Barrie + 16, either.

As for Chia, who the f*** knows what that loose cannon will do next. I think he’s got his sights set on Torey Krug and will offer Klefbom + 10 for Krug and Heinen/Donato.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
You’ve mentioned that before (just sign a UFA!) but you’re just not looking at our cap situation very clearly. The cap is not there until next offseason when we can ask Sekera and Russell for lists of teams they’d accept a trade to.

I’ve also said time and again I think his offense does not make up for the state of the rest of his game. The Avs are up and down but one constant is Barrie getting worked in his own zone.

You might think I’m being unreasonable but I’m not seeing any other Oiler fans rushing to accept 2018+19 firsts or RNH + 10 for Barrie + 16, either.

As for Chia, who the **** knows what that loose cannon will do next. I think he’s got his sights set on Torey Krug and will offer Klefbom + 10 for Krug and Heinen/Donato.
I would offer the 2018 10th overall pick, Puljujarvi and Bear.

A few good pieces that could come back to bite us. But we really need an offense driver from the blueline like Barrie, and someone adept at QBing a PP.

Fair? Not enough?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Didn’t see him as we aren’t in good terms.

Suffice it to say we have a difference of opinion. That’s a very shortsighted, reactionary trade that REALLY hurts us long term.

I’d take Smith or whoever falls /Bear/Puljujarvi long term all day long.

Reactions: OnanTheBarbarian

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Didn’t see him as we aren’t in good terms.

Suffice it to say we have a difference of opinion. That’s a very shortsighted, reactionary trade that REALLY hurts us long term.

I’d take Smith or whoever falls /Bear/Puljujarvi long term all day long.
I don’t think the Oilers should do that trade either, was just pointing out there are people who like Barrie. As an aside I thought the oilers had a better cap situation, after the Nurse and McDavid raise its looking absolutely brutal with lots of contracts I would consider to have negative value, you’re right any decent UFA winger could be tough. Chiarelli has definitely gotta go.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don’t think the Oilers should do that trade either, was just pointing out there are people who like Barrie. As an aside I thought the oilers had a better cap situation, after the Nurse and McDavid raise its looking absolutely brutal with lots of contracts I would consider to have negative value, you’re right any decent UFA winger could be tough. Chiarelli has definitely gotta go.

It’s definitely not good. The trifecta of Lucic Sekera and Russell are collectively costing us close to 16 million dollars - that’s 20% of our cap space. Praying Sekera and Klefbom bounce back is about the best we’ve got right now.

Reactions: TFHockey

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What would you want added to Gardiner for the 10th pick? His stretch passes would be lethal in combination with McDavid.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
It’s definitely not good. The trifecta of Lucic Sekera and Russell are collectively costing us close to 16 million dollars - that’s 20% of our cap space. Praying Sekera and Klefbom bounce back is about the best we’ve got right now.
Could be where the Klefbom rumours are coming from. The oilers have clearly identified a puck moving RHD as a big need. A defence of

Nurse Barrie
Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Russel

Is crazy expensive for a team that already has 33 million tied up in four forwards. If no team is willing to take Sekera or Russel (personally I think they both have negative value) then maybe moving Klefbom is what they think they need to do. I would disagree, as I think the oilers need to add a dman, not swap one, but maybe that’s what Chiarelli wants to do. The best course of action might just be to wait until Draisaitl and McDavids 21 million isn’t such a hindrance due to the cap increasing. We saw Pittsburgh struggle to ice a contender when Crosby and Malkins contracts were taking up a large percentage of the cap and we are currently seeing Chicago struggle with Toews and Kane (who make the same as McDavid/Draisaitl). Of course I’m sure Oiler fans don’t have much of an appetite for waiting 3-4 years for the cap to go up so they can ice a competitive team again after what they went through, but that cap structure makes moves pretty difficult. Chiarelli’s job is actually quite difficult since he’s negotiating from such a weak position, and he hasn’t proven to be a good negotiator even when dealing from a strong position.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Nah...even their 1st round picks have been disappointments compared to their pre-draft projections.

2016 - Puljujarvi: was neck and neck with Laine most of his draft year, they are at opposite spectrums of development now
2105 - McDavid: is a generational player, hard to ruin that.
2014- Draisaitl: isn't good enough to centre a second line unless he has very good linemates.
2013 - Nurse: players selected before and after him (Monahan, Ristolainen)
2012 - Yakupov: no explanation required
2011 - RNH: Overpaid 2nd line C
2010 - Hall: Another elite talent but they decided to trade him for a top 4D with zero offensive skills
2009 - Paajarvi: Another player they ruined
2008 - Eberle: Another player they traded

I could write a book about how wrong this list is . But I'll respond to the one take you really struck out on.

Draisaitl put up 70 points in 78 games this season playing with Lucic and Cammalleri and you think he needs 'very good' line mates ? In what world does that make sense ? He had more points than Monahan, Eichel and Pavelski. Not to mention the concussion issues Draisaitl was battling during the fall. If we weren't so desperate for wins early he would have missed more time .

You do realize the Draisaitl and 97 experiment ended early this season right ?

Do you even watch the Oilers ? I assume you do because you're always talking about them, shouldn't you be rocking an Oilers avatar ?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Myers and Perreault for #10 and 2nd or 3rd.

Oilers get offense at RD and an effective winger that drives play.

Hurts the Jets for next season though, so I doubt they'd do it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Can't do that, Salary cap
Oooof. Right. Okay, just send the Jets RNH for Myers and Perreault and we'll call it a day.

Or, Myers and a forward prospect for RNH. I'll start the bidding with Petan, Dano or Lemieux.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Oooof. Right. Okay, just send the Jets RNH for Myers and Perreault and we'll call it a day.

Or, Myers and a forward prospect for RNH. I'll start the bidding with Petan, Dano or Lemieux.

Oilers would need to shed a D also so that trade in a vacuum doesn’t work. We have Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Russell making more than $4M/yr each then have to pay Nurse a raise. Ditch the forward prospect and just eat half of Myer’s salary.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oilers would need to shed a D also so that trade in a vacuum doesn’t work. We have Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Russell making more than $4M/yr each then have to pay Nurse a raise. Ditch the forward prospect and just eat half of Myer’s salary.
Done. Jets don't have a huge cap crunch until next season. If they need a bit more space for a 2C, they'll likely move Perreault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad