GDT: Oilers @ Sabres 12:30 PM EST TV:MSG Radio:WGR550 - Afternoon Delight?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Funny, but would prefer you not using that word -- even with the *'s. Sorry to be a party pooper, but I feel pretty strongly about this one. [Edit - redacted in quote]

Skinner 9:15 TOI
JJP 6:04
Robinson 15:33
VO 14:40

Pretty interesting. And well deserved.

EDIT -- holy cow - I didn't realize Tuch played 26:53. That's a lot of ice. Pretty crazy. I wonder if it was a total benching of JJP and Skinner or if they are sick. I heard maybe the flu is going around. Not sure.

Took care of that term.

Tuch and Cozens were both double shifted today and while the fancy stuff says they didn't win their overall matchups, I thought visually they did and were both very good. Skinner's PP fumble lead to the SHGA early on. Not sure if Peterka not being willing to get to the inside has finally made Granato angry enough to do something about it but he didn't see a shift the last half of the game.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I like Peterka, a lot.
But he's going to have to -- "get to the inside" more to help the Sabres, and further his career.
That bug needs to be placed in his ear.
We should have elevated Peca to NHL assistant. He had a good rapport with JJ and would not have accepted perimeter play. I knew that was a mistake letting him go to NY

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Didn't play from the halfway point of the 2nd period. He and Skinner got benched.
I've said it before, but if Adams wants to shake up the top-6, and add a unique skillset the team lacks there, then Peterka is the man to trade and replace. He cloud become a menace. That speed + ability to make plays at top speed is hard to come by, but there's so much left to be desired with what he did away from the puck.

We should have elevated Peca to NHL assistant. He had a good rapport with JJ and would not have accepted perimeter play. I knew that was a mistake letting him go to NY
In still baffled by that move given Peca has a history with the Sabres.

Reactions: dire wolf

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
They have to draw the line somewhere, and they have a big blue one on the ice. Offside is offside, and that was, even if it was millimetres.

I just hate it that the opposing team probably had no problem with that entry at the time, but the moment a goal is scored they go straight to the screens to hunt for a reason to have it overturned. That doesn’t feel like sports.
It's my sense of things that EDM was supposed to win this game today. I watched numerous EDM infractions being ignored throughout the game while phantom calls such as Thompson's "slash" were called.

So I'm not surprised Power's OT goal was reviewed in Toronto so intensively. The Oilers were supposed to win this one.

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
Update: I can’t do them because my program is adamant that I sold my apartment at some point in 2023, so I need to claim it.

This is an apartment I rent. Not a condo I own. I literally cannot sell it if I wanted to
I just got home from work. The March 15th deadline is almost here. I still haven't started thinking about personal taxes with a lot of business returns going out on time. 37 more days!

Good luck with your taxes!

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Regarding Byram.....

Understand that Bo - for all of his talent - was obligated to play his coach's system. Bednar runs a very tight ship. A very tight system. Players are obligated to the roles he assigns to them.

Talents like MacKinnon and Makar are playing under a looser set of constraints than guys further down in the pecking order. Bo was constrained by the partners and line mates and situations that he was slotted with.

Granato is not anywhere as intense on structure and playing within the role assigned as Bednar operates in. There is way more freedom to take advantage of opportunities in the Sabre system. Donnie's problem is that most of his players are simply not all around talented enough to seize the moment w/o suffering any consequences. Most cannot recover when they 'ef it up.

That's not the case with Byram. The handcuffs are now off of Bo. And the Sabres are just starting to realize the benefits.

Enjoy the moment!

Deleted member 347444

I watched Tage alot today, something is wrong with his right arm/shoulder
Then he should stop playing and have the injury cured, if necessary, have surgery. He hasn't played like he did last year or the year before last for a long time. The sooner the better, then he can get back into the game fully recovered and prepare for the next season.
But as it is now, it makes no sense, this season is over anyway

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Offsides vs not offsides.

If I remember correctly the Makar play was ruled onside because he didn't touch the puck until his team got onside, despite being in possession the entire time.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Then he should stop playing and have the injury cured, if necessary, have surgery. He hasn't played like he did last year or the year before last for a long time. The sooner the better, then he can get back into the game fully recovered and prepare for the next season.
But as it is now, it makes no sense, this season is over anyway
Just looking at the standings. We're 7 points behind Detroit and we play them twice this week. They've been struggling too.

Also play the Islanders who we're chasing.

As crazy as it sounds, a good week could put us back in the race. Probably won't happen given how the year has gone, but it's at least worth playing out.

If Tage can go, he should go for one more week at least.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Offsides vs not offsides.

If I remember correctly the Makar play was ruled onside because he didn't touch the puck until his team got onside, despite being in possession the entire time.

Yeah, pictures don't do the nuance justice.Still hate that they review this stuff. The NHL should go back and review every goal that was overturned and decide whether it really had any deterministic impact on the play. Most of these are inches and not really giving the puck carrying team any advantage, which is the point of offsides.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like the idea that if you can't tell at speed on the replay, then it's too close for the human eye and that's fine. They let all sorts of other things come down to judgement that can have impact on scoring plays that they don't review and could. Let the linesmen go to the booth, give them the replay at speed and if they think "yeah, offside" then call it. And if they can't tell at the speed they are judging the game, then it stands. It was put in because they missed something egregious. That would still be easily seen without a frame by frame, time intensive combing of the video to find the millimeter of white ice through a grainy video capture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad