Post-Game Talk: Oilers Ruin Yak's Return 3-1

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Can't believe the crap the Toronto TSN media is spewing. Apparently we are an "embarrassment", and "trying to save face". Completely unneeded from them.

No understanding of the situation and us wanting to thank him for all he did in the community and for the people of Edmonton.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/o-neill-what-was-the-tribute-about~977826

Heh. Gotta love the "new world media". These so called "professionals" sound like they took a page out of an online forum or something. They're getting paid to do the same thing we do here.

How can I break into that nifty market?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Heh. Gotta love the "new world media". These so called "professionals" sound like they took a page out of an online forum or something. They're getting paid to do the same thing we do here.

How can I break into that nifty market?

Speaking from pure ignorance. I expect better from TSN, that was garbage.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Can't believe the crap the Toronto TSN media is spewing. Apparently we are an "embarrassment", and "trying to save face". Completely unneeded from them.

No understanding of the situation and us wanting to thank him for all he did in the community and for the people of Edmonton.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/o-neill-what-was-the-tribute-about~977826

:shakehead Wow just disgusting. Toronto media is truly the lowest common denominator. They struggle to grasp that some fans recognize the situation he was in and realize he is a good kid. No wonder so many players (like Kessel, funny that they brought him up) get pissed off with these idiots.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
All this vitriol over a 1 minute brief video tribute during a commercial break to say "Thank You".

That makes us an embarrassment? Says a lot about those guys, including Noodles who I liked before. Zero respect for those guys.

O'Neill is the biggest piece of **** in the hockey media.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
:shakehead Wow just disgusting. Toronto media is truly the lowest common denominator. They struggle to grasp that some fans recognize the situation he was in and realize he is a good kid. No wonder so many players (like Kessel, funny that they brought him up) get pissed off with these idiots.

Completely disgusting. They are the lowest of the low in the media world. What was the point of that? Mocking our owner and everything.

I expected way more from TSN :shakehead

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
All this vitriol over a 1 minute brief video tribute during a commercial break to say "Thank You".

That makes us an embarrassment? Says a lot about those guys, including Noodles who I liked before. Zero respect for those guys.

They've been doing this crap for years now, sometimes its more TMZ than sports reporting

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
They've been doing this crap for years now, sometimes its more TMZ than sports reporting

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment are owned by the same parent company as TSN.

You know what's embarrassing? The way Phil Kessel was treated on the way out, the "hotdog" story that turned out to be a flat out lie and all kinds of crap. That's embarrassing. Saying "thank you" is not embarrassing.

Toronto media is the worst. They know nothing about us and spew that garbage.

Reilly13

Dec 2, 2011
TSN used to hire a lot more former coaches which made for better discussion and better analysis, they made the switch a number of years ago to people like O'Neill and Ward who make statements just to get a rise out of people.

There is no class involved with the current crop of TSN analysts (obviously besides actual analysts like McKenzie).

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The whole "saving face" bit was the worst. Sorry, we're not like you guys we don't think that way.

We can't just genuinely say "thank you"? Shows more about them than us in my opinion. The fact that they instantly go there shows the character they have.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'd be curious to know what Bob McEnzie thinks about some of these guys. He seems to be the antithesis of Eastern sports media.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
O'Neill's an idiot. Not really worth discussing him. Noodles didn't really say much. Don't even know who the third guy is.
Clowns.
I understand the video was a quick thing and Yak was a pretty big fan favourite so i get why they did it but to an outsider it really wouldn't make sense. Yak produced very little here, looked very much a bust, asked for a trade and was moved for peanuts. What's there to celebrate?
No one in the east will understand the attachment that a large part of the fan base has to Yak.
Not even sure I do.
Paying tribute doesn't make sense to them.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hopefully when we play the Leafs we kick the ****ing **** out of them. Run them out of the building, put up 8 or 9 on them.

That whole Leafs Lunch crew are pure scum. No idea about our team, or how we view our players here.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Before the game I predicted a strong game by the Oilers winning 5-1 with the lone blues goal scored by Yak. I was very close, especially if ebs and McCaptain bury their chances in the third. ;)

Man winning feels good. Let's keep it going!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Before the game I predicted a strong game by the Oilers winning 5-1 with the lone blues goal scored by Yak. I was very close, especially if ebs and McCaptain bury their chances in the third. ;)

Man winning feels good. Let's keep it going!

Get a big win in the outdoor game. We're more talented than the Jets, we can beat them.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

I am surprised anyone wants to hear what ONeill thinks on hockey matters.
It also shows how little they know about west coast teams.

I didnt think the video was too bad becuse...its what i expect from two guys that know nothing about the western teams (and not alot of10 of the eastern teams either) and a quiet Jamie(who is a homer flames fan).

i already knew this was going to happen so...its kind of par for the course. Everything Toronto does is cutting edge and awesome though. Toronto didnt do it so....(they even state that plus Oneill never got it because he was such a highly ranked guy *barf*)

i think we did something for Magnus too and others from the past. Its a Oilers standard of burrying any hatchets or perceived ill will. I dont mind it at all. I think personally its classy every time they do it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I am surprised anyone wants to hear what ONeill thinks on hockey matters.
It also shows how little they know about west coast teams.

I didnt think the video was too bad becuse...its what i expect from two guys that know nothing about the western teams (and not alot of10 of the eastern teams either) and a quiet Jamie.

i already knew this was going to happen so...its kind of par for the course. Everything Toronto does is cutting edge and awesome though. Toronto didnt do it so....(they even state that plus Oneill never got it because he was such a highly ranked guy *barf*)

It's the hypocrisy and I don't know, something about saying "thank you" being an embarrassment is just below what you would expect from TSN. The whole "saving face" bit came from such arrogant ignorance.

I guess, it's why couldn't it just be a genuine "thank you"? It gives insight into how little they think of us. Straight up false propaganda.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
O'Neill's an idiot. Not really worth discussing him. Noodles didn't really say much. Don't even know who the third guy is.
Clowns.
I understand the video was a quick thing and Yak was a pretty big fan favourite so i get why they did it but to an outsider it really wouldn't make sense. Yak produced very little here, looked very much a bust, asked for a trade and was moved for peanuts. What's there to celebrate?
No one in the east will understand the attachment that a large part of the fan base has to Yak.
Not even sure I do.
Paying tribute doesn't make sense to them.

i agree on the first part of the post. As i said...i expected this response from outsiders.

The Oilers do have a history of doing the small vids for former players. I dont have an issue with it...and i think the Yak situation could have been much messier. I dont think yak had any problem with it at all...and it allows closure to both sides.

lets be clear here...its one thing to kick a guy out the door because he isnt fitting. Its another to kick him out the door but show him some respect too. Basically the Oilers had no more time or use for the guy, he had burnt his bridges here (as TMc said you cant just go back into a dressing room with teammates after the requests and statements made), but they dont have ill-will. It simply didnt work out and that was what the video was about. A small touch to say he got his start here and good luck to him in the future

Also the parts about Katz are correct.

Frankly we can expect to live with the Yak draft and wear it for a LONG TIME, as far as media are concerned. They all know that the scouts were unanimous to not pick Yak and that higherups, higher than our own GM Tambi (who looked part stunned- part mad making the pick), forced the decision. Very similar look to Tambi (when you also factor in that Tambi knew cameras were on him) compared to Chia (who was being consoled by MacT)when he made the Griffin trade. Two guys making key decisions based on the information and cooperation of others less capable.

Last edited:

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
My take:

Hendricks would be good for Slep and Pitts to learn some from, hope he is back soon.

Johnny Hockey, have gamecenter so i've watched a few Calgary games. Every time things don't go JG way he is shaking his head and cussing on the bench. Reminds me a lot of Hall in the bad years. Tried to do it all himself at times and then got pissed when the results didn't come. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't extremely satisfying every time I see him on the bench shaking is head with that sour look on his face.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Completely disgusting. They are the lowest of the low in the media world. What was the point of that? Mocking our owner and everything.

I expected way more from TSN :shakehead

TSN used to hire a lot more former coaches which made for better discussion and better analysis, they made the switch a number of years ago to people like O'Neill and Ward who make statements just to get a rise out of people.

There is no class involved with the current crop of TSN analysts (obviously besides actual analysts like McKenzie).

Bobby Mac is just as bad. Everyone in TSN is crap. The only one with some semblence of accountability is, amusingly, Craig Button [I'm not counting Cuthbert]. Everyone is **** there now.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
O'Neill and Hayes are two of the biggest Leaf fanboys around. Two idiots with little knowledge outside of their crappy team.

has O'Neill ever stuck his nose outside the GTA? who cares what this moron thinks...the guy is an opinionated jerk who has no knowledge of our city and organization
Doubtful. O'Neill has a fear of flying, we'll never have to see that fat ***** in Edmonton unless he decides to drive from Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad