GDT: Oilers rookies @ Flames rookies - 7pm

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Hey, it's anyone's pejorative to not like or enjoy any player. But as long as it's due to his play and not because a lot of posters are penciling him into the lineup at the expense of Sam Gagner. That's not a reasonable reason to dislike a player.

At least it’s not as dumb as reading someone’s body language

Reactions: CornKicker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hey, it's anyone's pejorative to not like or enjoy any player. But as long as it's due to his play and not because a lot of posters are penciling him into the lineup at the expense of Sam Gagner. That's not a reasonable reason to dislike a player.

Its not the reason. I wasn't keen on Benson as a prospect when Sam Gagner wasn't even here, and from past posting you know that. I've questioned Benson all along.

That said I always prefer vet depth in a lineup over just starting a bunch of prospects.

Theres premium prospects, which you make space for, and non premium prospects, which usually only get short shrift. Guess which list I put Benson on.

Tippett is a coach that typically likes vets, and he's not inclined to play prospects as much unless they show immediately that they can play at this level.

I see Benson as a meh NHL prospect and far from alone in that. No lack of people agreeing with my takes, even in this thread. fwiw

Anyway, just wanted to clarify your point.

I've not been a one topic one player poster here. Some are, as we've seen for instance with Pulju.

ps perogative. ;)

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Its not the reason. I wasn't keen on Benson as a prospect when Sam Gagner wasn't even here, and from past posting you know that. I've questioned Benson all along.

That said I always prefer vet depth in a lineup over just starting a bunch of prospects.

Theres premium prospects, which you make space for, and non premium prospects, which usually only get short shrift. Guess which list I put Benson on.

Tippett is a coach that typically likes vets, and he's not inclined to play prospects as much unless they show immediately that they can play at this level.

I see Benson as a meh NHL prospect and far from alone in that. No lack of people agreeing with my takes, even in this thread. fwiw

Anyway, just wanted to clarify your point.

I've not been a one topic one player poster here. Some are, as we've seen for instance with Pulju.

ps perogative. ;)

My autocorrect typos make my heart hurt

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Consistent with my view is my favorite NHL lineups are often vet laden lineups whether that be STL, Vegas, or Washington. Even LA over last decade. Chicago is the odd exception to the rule that Vet teams go further.

Any team should have a half dozen young players (their absolute best prospects) and not overload much more than that just for the sake of trying to do prospects favors. The object is to win, regardless who the names are.

Given a vet that is established that can fill out a lineup, vs a rook, I pick the vet most times, and unless the prospect is very special case.

For instance moving forward Bouchard and Broberg will press for positions on the Oilers. Of all our prospects its not clear who else will. Which speaks a lot to how ordinary our prospect pool is. Basically we can't draft anything of note beyond round 1.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My autocorrect typos make my heart hurt

I hate when that happens. Half the reason I edit posts is that exact thing happening. The autocorrect seems to have no built in functionality in determining when one type key strike is off on the word. Instead of recognizing that it will make up a completely different word that was not intended.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Basically we can't draft anything of note beyond round 1.
No, but our prospects drafted after the 1st round the past few years are still trending pretty well. I don't care what your opinion is on Benson, but his production in the AHL for his age is great for a 2nd round pick. Samorukov, Jones, Bear, and Lagesson all have decent-good chances at becoming NHLers, which exceeds most picks in the 3rd-5th rounds. Maksimov is doing well for a 5th rounder. McLeod is a great bet to become a #3C, which is very good for a 2nd round pick.

It's obviously still early, but I'd say our mid-late round drafting has been a lot better the past few years.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
My barometer would lean more to shown, than known for. The comments about Benson in the article are of course opinions, not knowns in anycase. The opinions are not even fleshed out, or expanded on in the article.

His proving ground is all here. He's not doing the things he needs to do here, and has not yet in his career. I'll continue to watch and key on him. Hopefully one of these games he comes to play.

Even in the playoffs last season in the AHL Benson had half the games where he was shutout of the score sheet. He had one goal. Outside of a 3pt game he wasn't tilting things a whole lot even at the AHL level playoffs, against hard opponents.
He showed in junior and at AHL that he can make plays in traffic. He didn't show it in a preseason rookie scrimmage.

I bet the level of play in these rookie games were below the level in the AHL. Of course he has not shown it at NHL level, but he'll soon get the chance. Is it not better to wait for some more serious games before throwing him under the bus?

I'd easily bet on Benson being a on the team for more than 50% of this year's games with the Oilers (unless injured).

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I liked Rodrigue post-game, beating himself up basically for that first goal against even though he was good for the rest of the game.

"When the puck drops you have to be ready, next time I'll be ready, those goals makes a difference"

"You always have be ready when the puck drops" (repeated like 6 times)

Reactions: snipes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He showed in junior and at AHL that he can make plays in traffic. He didn't show it in a preseason rookie scrimmage.

I bet the level of play in these rookie games were below the level in the AHL. Of course he has not shown it at NHL level, but he'll soon get the chance. Is it not better to wait for some more serious games before throwing him under the bus?

I'd easily bet on Benson being a on the team for more than 50% of this year's games with the Oilers (unless injured).

Not writing him off, consistent with me saying several times in the thread "I guess we'll see"

I'm not high on him obviously, and would love to be wrong, we need some depth help here and for players to rise up.

That said its a little silly all the comments about "wait awhile before commenting" which we see every year here and this is a gdt.

I think we all just want the season to get moving, its been ages due to the Oilers missing the playoffs. so I'm a bit antsy..

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Not writing him off, consistent with me saying several times in the thread "I guess we'll see"

I'm not high on him obviously, and would love to be wrong, we need some depth help here and for players to rise up.

That said its a little silly all the comments about "wait awhile before commenting" which we see every year here and this is a gdt.

I think we all just want the season to get moving, its been ages due to the Oilers missing the playoffs. so I'm a bit antsy..
Definitely!

I know your view (somewhat) on Benson since we discussed him back in ... march/april I guess (cannot remember). I disagree somewhat since I think he does have an excellent sense of game and an underrated scoring ability. Also, as to this particular response, very good decision making under pressure.

Now, I'll give you these rookie games. As said before I intentionally did not watch any of it. Too much disappointment in the past (when our rookies dominated) and too much emotion since it really is the start of the new season.

He will get the chance thia preseason, that is certain and Tippett/Woodcroft said it as well. I hope I'll be proven right in 3-4 weeks :)... He won't be a game changer, but I think he can be a good middle 6 winger already this season.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Consistent with my view is my favorite NHL lineups are often vet laden lineups whether that be STL, Vegas, or Washington. Even LA over last decade. Chicago is the odd exception to the rule that Vet teams go further.

Any team should have a half dozen young players (their absolute best prospects) and not overload much more than that just for the sake of trying to do prospects favors. The object is to win, regardless who the names are.

Given a vet that is established that can fill out a lineup, vs a rook, I pick the vet most times, and unless the prospect is very special case.

For instance moving forward Bouchard and Broberg will press for positions on the Oilers. Of all our prospects its not clear who else will. Which speaks a lot to how ordinary our prospect pool is. Basically we can't draft anything of note beyond round 1.

"Blues are paper tigers." - Replacement in May

"My favorite lineups are lineups like the Blues!" - Replacement in September

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Sam Gagner is much better then any forward prospect the Oilers have in the system. Not close.

The Oilers are a better team with Gagner playing a major role in the bottom 6.

Yeah, Gagner should be locked in bottom 6 with some PP2 time on the side. A whole season of him will equal another option for getting 10-15 goals. Something we desperately need in our bottom 6 right now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
"Blues are paper tigers." - Replacement in May

"My favorite lineups are lineups like the Blues!" - Replacement in September

The blues made some good additions and of course had the huge coaching change which was beneficial, and Binnington. I like the makeup of the team and this time they didn't have to rely on Tarasenko getting it done and if you relied on that guy it would never get done. Blues had several players suddenly pushing results.

I feel like I'm talking to myself and know that I know who you are. Nice username btw...

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
He was exactly what we needed to get Chia fired. I just wish it was before we traded for Spooner.
Chia downgraded in almost every trade and especially last year. He almost destroyed the team and set it back 5 years. He's be the first to be inducted in to the Oiler Hall of Shame, if they were one. Lowe would be an automatic second.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I liked Rodrigue post-game, beating himself up basically for that first goal against even though he was good for the rest of the game.

"When the puck drops you have to be ready, next time I'll be ready, those goals makes a difference"

"You always have be ready when the puck drops" (repeated like 6 times)

He played very well. They hung him out to dry.

Especially the De Jong and Desharnais pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad