Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Iiro Pakarinen

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Both. Overwhelmed for a good portion of the game as Eberle and RNH were playing in tandem, and he couldn't figure out their specialized cycle which I explained in another thread. Basically, they cycle on the half boards with no expectation to go to the net.

He was behind the his line mates quite a bit, which is a bit worrisome considering RNH and Eberle were behind the play as well.

In the third period, he settled down a bit. Intercepted a pass, but couldn't handle it well enough to do anything with it. Got into some scoring areas, but the Penguins' smothering defensive play was just too much for anything to come of it.

He finishes his checks, which is great, but I don't see him as a fit with those two players. Only Hall knows how to play with RNH and Ebs together, which is disheartening as that group isn't very productive anymore.

Pouliot has looked good in that role. But yea, I thought it was an odd spot for him to be top line LW. One of the few cases where I'm questioning Nelson's reasoning; however I'll guess it comes back to his familiarity with the player.

Personally I would have given Fraser a look there before Iiro. He's more use to the NHL speed, and would be on his natural wing, also he has more offencive upside. Letting Iiro play a lower role, on his natural wing, with a player he has chemistry with (Lander) would have been a wiser move.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pouliot has looked good in that role. But yea, I thought it was an odd spot for him to be top line LW. One of the few cases where I'm questioning Nelson's reasoning; however I'll guess it comes back to his familiarity with the player.

Personally I would have given Fraser a look there before Iiro. He's more use to the NHL speed, and would be on his natural wing, also he has more offencive upside. Letting Iiro play a lower role, on his natural wing, with a player he has chemistry with (Lander) would have been a wiser move.

Yak was there in practice I believe, but Yak told Nelson he wanted to stay with Roy.

The question now is if you do keep Yak with Roy, who is your best option on that top line? Personally I put Purcell there. I have no issue with Pakarinen getting a shot there, but he needs like 5-10 games in that position. Personally at this time of year I think you have to put Purcell there and try drive up his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad